Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 12th, 2018, 01:13 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - 2 New Maps - 1/12/2018

Also have a 3-Player map that my girlfriend, friend, and I built and played 3 games on last week. It played really well (we played Kill-the-Person-to-Your-Left).

3-Player Battlefield1
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 BftU, 1 TJ, 1 TT, 1 RttFF, 1 FotA, 1 VW

I do apologize that it uses so much different terrain but then doesn't use a lot of that terrain (like the SotM and TT). The SotM is more for the little common pieces so I'm sure a 2nd RotV would suffice. If you wanted to exclude the TT, you could use 3 single-space Outcrops from the BftU and replace the 3-hex Glacier (that was just for continuity across the map).
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:16 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
HS2010's Map Thread - 2 ARV Contest Submission Maps - 3/1/18

Shadows Over Bleakwoode
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 RttFF

Bio: Many souls have been devoured on these paths.
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:07 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - 2 ARV Contest Submission Maps - 3/

I like it...though the bridge walls near the startzone seem a little odd and out of place. Any particular reason why they're there?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 1st, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I like it...though the bridge walls near the startzone seem a little odd and out of place. Any particular reason why they're there?
Aesthetically or gameplay wise?

Aesthetically, I think they tie in the ruins out front and the walls in the middle. Maybe don’t think of them as brdige walls? They’re just defensive walls or something of that sort. I don’t think they’re out of place, aesthetically, and the RttFF rulebook even has examples where the walls are placed on normal terrain rather than road.

Gameplay wise, it creates strong pathing towards either the center or left.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:27 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Gameplay-wise I don't see any issues. It's likely just me, but aesthetically it looks weird to me for some reason...can't put a finger on it...just seems odd.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I like this one. Don't know how'd you go about it, or if it's possible, but I'd try to extend the road on the left side (via each start zone) closer to each start zone. If you had 2 spare 2-hex roads would do the trick. Maybe take from the corners of each far side, and try to reconnect the roads through the forest area(s) right by the glyph(s) thus connecting with less road spaces (and use those extra spaces to extend closer to each start zone on the left side).

But other than that I think it's a strong build. The tree placements are in really great spots relative to the height and (most) road placements and the middle will have quite interesting play.
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I like this one. Don't know how'd you go about it, or if it's possible, but I'd try to extend the road on the left side (via each start zone) closer to each start zone. If you had 2 spare 2-hex roads would do the trick. Maybe take from the corners of each far side, and try to reconnect the roads through the forest area(s) right by the glyph(s) thus connecting with less road spaces (and use those extra spaces to extend closer to each start zone on the left side).

But other than that I think it's a strong build. The tree placements are in really great spots relative to the height and (most) road placements and the middle will have quite interesting play.
Thanks for the feedback! I drew on Dignan’s Sear, who’s Road does kind the same thing here.

I’m more thankful that I have more road to work with and can loop it around on each side and make the center wider. I did see your feedback as “potential feedback” when I was building the map and that’s why I gave the left sides the single hex perches. Those perches are the highest points on the map, only rivaled by the 2-hex grass in the center.

Besides the fact that I think there are pros and cons in moving to both sides, extending the road on the left sides and allowing figures moving that way to reach road on the first turn allows them to get far down the road on the opposition’s right side on their second. And even if I did remove the two back roads by the SZ, every other piece is used from the set besides for 17 water pieces so I’d have no idea how to replace them anyways.
Old March 20th, 2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Durgeth Swamp: Classic combo of swamp/jungle. I like the large swampy areas, too. Far too much of the level 2 height also enjoys the advantage of jungle cover (giving ranged units +2 defense against other range), too, even though there are a few level 3 spots.
But wouldn’t the other ranged units also be on level 2? So there’d be no height and the Jungle would just be +1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
I'd just like to know how Shadows over Bleakwoode didn't make it. I know you guys were saying there were a lot of strong submissions so was it a matter of no room in the inn or was there a design flaw? Thanks guys!
I was really excited about your map too, and it's another I'd like to play on. I do still have some small concerns about it the more I look at it - mostly that the Glyphs are on pretty strong positions on the edge which could provide for some unfun your-side-my-side endgame scenarios. But I've played similar maps that have worked out okay. My other main concern was the Raelin perches - one on each side of the map so she can run out from either corner. I'm sure the other judges can provide more feedback about their concerns as well.
I figure the lateral road and height from the center to the glyph would negate the glyph camping, your-side-my-side quite a bit. Also, I’ve come to find that in tournaments where the Glyphs are random, one glyph is usually more coveted than another, so play usually leans to that side more anyways. As far as the Raelin perches, the one on the highest level of the map can be engaged by turn 2 using the road. That’s typically a distraction you don’t want Raelin in. On the smaller perch, it’s accessible by all 6 adjacent hexes, another situation you’d rather not have Raelin in.

All of that said, I have considered not using Glyphs on either of the maps I’ve submitted as I feel the balance of height and road of Shadows of Bleakwoode and the balance of Jungle and height on Durgeth Swamps is enough to keep the action moving without them. I feel they are played well either way.
Old March 20th, 2018, 05:02 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Durgeth Swamp: Classic combo of swamp/jungle. I like the large swampy areas, too. Far too much of the level 2 height also enjoys the advantage of jungle cover (giving ranged units +2 defense against other range), too, even though there are a few level 3 spots.
But wouldn’t the other ranged units also be on level 2? So there’d be no height and the Jungle would just be +1.
Against other range not on height. The +1 from height is already going to apply against both range and melee units, so I'm not a fan of giving ranged units even more boosts (even if it is against other range).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 20th, 2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Against other range not on height. The +1 from height is already going to apply against both range and melee units, so I'm not a fan of giving ranged units even more boosts (even if it is against other range).
But why wouldn’t attacking range have even ground? The majority of the main part of the map is level 2 so I don’t see why range wouldn’t almost always have at least even ground.
Old March 20th, 2018, 05:21 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Almost always and always are two different things. Call it personal preference, but I'd rather see even same-level range not shoot into the extra defensive bonus when trying to remove an established position.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Thanks again for sharing the map. I played on it in the last round, and I'm glad I did. It looked good on the table and it felt like a battlefield as I was setting up on it.

I was curious about the extra hex attached to the back 24, leading to a slightly odd start zone. And even after we looked it up and saw what the start zone was, I still absent-mindedly put a Cutter on the forbidden forward space of the 24-hexer.

Once the battle was underway, my opponent got a first round drop of the Airborne Elite, which was an *excellent* stress test for this map. He played it well, setting them up on the upper plateau, and then he won initiative. So he put two of them on the top two hexes and used the others to wall off the narrow entry points on the corners next to the trees.

I was stressed. I mean, every map is supposed to be able to accommodate this situation, but it's tough: first round drop for the AE; available high ground. And the ability to *almost* lock it down. But then I realized that, if I was persistent, I could use the road bonus to slip some units up over the outside edge of the ledge that I could penetrate.

So. My opponent got a perfect strike with his AE, landing them and winning initiative on OM1. The map allowed me, eventually, to get my Goblins up there, but only after they successfully killed Heracles. It was perfect test conditions for this map, and the map still provided me a way to push back and even ultimately win the game.

It looks great on the table and I'd use it again at another tournament. It's *possible* I'll be persuaded the choke points at the top are problematic, but it might just be something that comes up only sometimes. I'll see.
I had to go back through and think of why that hex is back there. The Marro Hive can't be placed in the SZ without that hex. Beyond that, not much of a reason, although I do like that it evens the amount of figures on each side adjacent to "non-SZ" spaces to 2. I like that because the road on the right side is a big pull for exiting the SZ so between that space not being able to be occupied to start and the ruins cutting off the back half of your army from the road, it makes the choice of moving left or right (or even down the middle) more balanced.

I'm glad the map held up for you even against an AE drop and initiative first round. Do I need to feel bad for your opponent though?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios