Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old December 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Fat Dragon Games is surprisingly tart
Re: Hex Master hexagon terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
Nice Graphics on the Sci Fi Set.

When and where can I buy the set?

I want to go visit the cute girl who runs the staples copy centre.

Cheers.
The set is done, and I am doing post production builds and photos today. It will be up for sale Monday, and the caverns should be out one week later. They'll be available for download via our site/RPGNow/DrivethruRPG.

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Awesome! How many Hex Master sets are there? I looked around on your site but could only find 1. Anyways, great work, Fat Dragon Games!

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM

Fat Dragon Games is surprisingly tart

This makes our second set. Set #3 is a cavern wall set for use with D&D Herosape and it releases in about another week. The sci-fi wall pack releases this Monday (Jan 4th) and I'll post a special discount code for everyone here at Heroscapers. In the meantime here are some preview pics:

This set has all pieces in 3 and 6 layer heights, and includes:

7 hex platform
1 hex wall
2 hex wall
4 hex wall

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM

Talos is surprisingly tart

This is great stuff Tom! I've been watching FDG for a long time but haven't had a use for the terrain, until Hexmaster that is. I'll do a Zen order (one with everything) as soon as your new releases hit the site...

Cheers,
Talos

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
- George Carlin
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
If the terrain is just a LOS blocker, I think your approach works just fine. But if it's playable terrain (on the roof, inside, etc.) I think it's important for it to maintain that hex construction.
The picture at the top of this page shows buildings with pointed roofs that you can not stand on, that is what I was really referring too. Sorry, I thought that was painfully obvious, my bad. And you can indeed make terrain that is playable without being "hex" shaped. Look at the building that came with the Marvel set. Of course there we're dealing with a flat surface on top, not a slopped roof. I also would refer everyone to the walls that came with the road set. A zigzag wall that follows the hex shapes would have looked weird in my opinion.

Look, we play a hex based game. When you start down the road of modeling scenery you've got to produce that scenery to look like what it represents but still be playable in game terms. I, and I would guess many on this site, don't think buildings, walls, etc look good being represented as zigzag hexes. The scifi buildings that someguy shows above looks odd to me. In fact, in certain places, even he incorporated straight wall sections.

It probably comes down to personal taste. However, straight wall buildings are much easier to build than hex shaped ones and, in my humble opinion, look much better in the end.

Last thing, terrain is definitely more than simply a line of sight blocker. A cool looking Medieval building (that you can not climb on) adds to the overall look of the battle field, it serves to excite your imagination more with the "theme" of the building and it adds to the strategic game as you have to maneuver squads and heros around them. That's a lot more than a simple line of sight blocker. In fact if it did not need to look right then why bother with all of this theme? You might as well just use blank building blocks or blank paper constructions and call them buildings, rocks, trees, etc.
I agree with Grishnakh on this. I use papercraft buildings all the time and much prefer the more authentic look, even if it creates some "half-hexes".

Below is a pic of a map where you can see part of a building. Note that for flat top buildings, you can still slap some hexes on the top, even though there are some partial hexes around the edges. Is it pure? No, but in terms of playability, you don't notice it at all.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:37 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker
Talking Re: Hex Master hexagon terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dragon Games View Post
This makes our second set. Set #3 is a cavern wall set for use with D&D Herosape and it releases in about another week.
Looking forward to it- any preview images around?

I must agree with the previous points about hex buildings being a bit odd. For the sci-fi set pictured above though, I think it's groovy, because they don't really seem like buildings to me, more just like... structures. I can't find the right word. At any rate, I still like them.

badgermaniac- are those pics of your setup? I ask because I'm itching to know where the bench/phone booth/light pole/etc came from. They look pretty good scale.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:57 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It is a map setup I used some time ago.

Many of the little items come from a model railroad accessory set. The scale is pretty close.

Here is a scale comparison:

Here is the image of what came in the set.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Peteparkerh was selling sets of stuff a while ago heres the thread:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=21718

This looked pretty cool but postage to Australia puts it too pricey for me .

Has anybody done these papercraft with foam core? I started to try but the whole cutting at an angle is very hard. I tried making my own sort of cutter by getting a block of wood & cutting the end off it at 30 degrees with my circular saw & screwing a razor blade to it. This worked fairly well but the angle seemed not quite right (maybe I have to compensate for the thickness of the foam or something) & it was very hard to line up the ruler with where I needed my jig to be to cut to the right line. So if anybody has successfully done this I would love to hear how.

Cheers
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Theme Nerd

I use papercraft without the foamcore. Using a foamcore base is an added bonus of course, but I find that just using card stock is sufficient for making a structure that is plenty durable.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
It is a map setup I used some time ago.

Many of the little items come from a model railroad accessory set. The scale is pretty close.

Here is a scale comparison:

Here is the image of what came in the set.

If you are looking for "railroad" items to add to scape, make sure you get O Scale. It is pretty close to heroscape "scale". In O scale, a 6' tall man would be 1 1/2" high, so pretty close to scape figures. If you can't tell, one of my other hobbies is model trains -- here is a good site for items: Scenic Express
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

I was looking at fat dragon Games Amory set which is a big round building with playable multi story terrain inside. Then I was looking at the Heroscape Board and I was thinking.

If you used 1" sided hex parts say 3.75" high (10 Levels). then made 1" thick 5 1/4" long wall blocks of the same height (slightly lower as they will rest on top of the raised hex). There is no reason a full set of dungeon walls, building walls, cave walls etc. Can't be created and be completely modular. Clip them together with Bobby Pins. The walls are just long enough to span 3 hexes across the flats (like the castle door piece) If you make a floor piece 3/8" thick and cut to size you can even have multiple floors giving a more 3D feel to game play and would definitely ad for some dramatic game play.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:39 AM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News