Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 1st, 2022, 12:40 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Home of the Drudge: At first blush, I’m not a fan of the center being a one-hex land bridge. I think the 2-hex-wide bridge on Quasatch Playground is problematic, and while having swamp water around it lessens the choke effect of it, I don’t see it working well.

The glyphs being 6 move vs 7 move away is a problem. Having all the highest height be covered by jungle is also a problem. I’m willing to downvote this one without having played on it. No to induct.
Old January 1st, 2022, 12:48 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Yeah, plenty of red flags there. I'll add my no vote as well for Home of the Drudge, for essentially the reasons OEAO outlined.
Old January 1st, 2022, 01:30 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

eh, it was worth a shot

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 1st, 2022, 01:38 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Zephyr: Overall, I actually do enjoy this map. However, there is a major problem with it: the asymmetry of Raelin spots. The left starting zone has an insane Raelin perch that the right starting zone doesn't have (the front of the sand three-hex on the south side of the map). It protects the glyph and two hexes out of the three-hex height above the glyph. The path to the placement is also easily walled off by any two figures. It's also adjacent to jungle, making it protected by range. Although the right side has a fair Raelin spot on the level two swamp, this borderline broken spot is a major blemish on an otherwise good map. As such, I have to vote no to induct.

Song of the Walrus: This map has a few issues. Rats and Greenscales can really easily choke this map to death. The map is both not the easiest to develop on as well as very flat on the top. The placement of the level four two-hexes has also always seemed a little strange to me. It's not a bad map, but I don't think it deserves a spot in the WoS. No to induct.

Edit: @Typhon2222 : For SotW, I think a potential fix would be to bump the hive and glacier out a hex (and drop them down a level), and move the level 4 inside them. This would free up some hexes to smooth out development and greatly open up the middle, while also providing some height changes in the middle.

Ashfall: This map just doesn't work as well as it would seem. It's hard to traverse, the lava dominates the heights, and one army almost always just sits on the level two plateau to the left. Moving horizontally is really tough thanks to the molten lava hexes, and the single hex of molten lava to the left of the road makes the podding place that much harder to break. I had high expectations for this map, but it just didn't work for me. No to induct.

Last edited by OEAO; January 1st, 2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old January 10th, 2022, 01:13 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Song of the Walrus: This map has a few issues. Rats and Greenscales can really easily choke this map to death. The map is both not the easiest to develop on as well as very flat on the top. The placement of the level four two-hexes has also always seemed a little strange to me. It's not a bad map, but I don't think it deserves a spot in the WoS. No to induct.

Edit: @Typhon2222 : For SotW, I think a potential fix would be to bump the hive and glacier out a hex (and drop them down a level), and move the level 4 inside them. This would free up some hexes to smooth out development and greatly open up the middle, while also providing some height changes in the middle.
Oh just saw your Edit here, @OEAO . Thanks for the suggestions! — now that I can run VirtualScape again, I will explore implementing them.
Old January 13th, 2022, 05:19 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

I've updated the build instructions for The Borogoves, to include a recommendation that it be played using 2 Wannoks if worried about the 'two hills' problem.
Old January 13th, 2022, 06:08 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
I've updated the build instructions for The Borogoves, to include a recommendation that it be played using 2 Wannoks if worried about the 'two hills' problem.
Per the OP, I believe this would be considered an alteration and would need to meet the 2 tournament requirement again with the change.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 13th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

We've been discussing glyphs for a while internally. We haven't come to a decision yet on whether the addition of a glyph recommendation constitutes a change in version.

Edit: We've decided that the addition of a glyph recommendation to a map is not a change in version so long as the build instructions themselves remain unchanged. If the build instructions no longer show randomized glyphs, then the map has changed.

Last edited by OEAO; January 13th, 2022 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Per dok: "We successfully failed to come to a conclusion"
Old January 14th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
We've been discussing glyphs for a while internally. We haven't come to a decision yet on whether the addition of a glyph recommendation constitutes a change in version.

Edit: We've decided that the addition of a glyph recommendation to a map is not a change in version so long as the build instructions themselves remain unchanged. If the build instructions no longer show randomized glyphs, then the map has changed.
Good to know. Per that definition then, I believe Borogroves would need to be resubmitted after tournament play.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 14th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:

Good to know. Per that definition then, I believe Borogroves would need to be resubmitted after tournament play.
No- the build instructions still show, and provide for, two random glyphs. TOs may use two Wannoks, one Wannok and another glyph, or two different glyphs entirely. Judges will be free to test the map with or without the glyph recommendation here.

It’d be different if the build instructions themselves provided for two Wannoks as fixed glyphs.

And after further discussion, we’re basically reserving the right to treat glyphs on a case-by-case basis, as it may sometimes be a judgment call.

Last edited by OEAO; January 14th, 2022 at 04:37 PM. Reason: For example, if someone puts two random glyphs but states "These must be X and Y," then it would not be a recommendation.
Old January 14th, 2022, 08:47 PM

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:

@OEAO , I've revised Song of the Walrus in line with your suggestions, and am really happy with the results. I think it's much improved:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...&postcount=836

Since it's been revised, could you fine folks please withdraw the original version from review? Much obliged. (Who knows, maybe after some tourney appearances the new one will pop up here....)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios