Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Sir Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
I agree that he is good, but why is he 105 points, not 100 or 110?
Just put him with Nilfheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't think I've ever seen anyone want to move the Sentinals of Jandar with Gilbert's Dispatch, but if one wanted to do it, would the Sentinals fly or walk the extra spaces?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; February 11th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

They would fly.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
They would fly.
They could do either; walk or fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone want to move the Sentinals of Jandar with Gilbert's Dispatch, but if one wanted to do it, would the Sentinals fly or walk the four spaces?
Its not an automatic four spaces. (I kinda think you just mistyped, but just in case.)

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I don't play with bonding squads all that often, and when I do I tend to load in several of the bonded heroes. However, the following army structure seems to be well-regarded:

Sir Gilbert: 105
Knights of Weston x3: 210
Non-human-champion hero(es): ??

Nilfheim is a common choice for that last line in a 500pt army. In such an army what is the best way to deploy Gilbert? Does he stay at the front line of the Knights to get the adjancy bonus as soon as possible, or does he hang out in the middle, or even back, of the pack concentrating on getting the Knights into position?
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

He always takes the rear until you get low on Knights, or most of them are within striking distance. He's usually one of the last figures on the board, and by that point he has done so much damage indirectly, by advancing your knights so many times.

I'll often even put him in the back of my starting zone or not move him his full movement on his first turn. He's more like Raelin than Krug.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
He always takes the rear until you get low on Knights, or most of them are within striking distance. He's usually one of the last figures on the board, and by that point he has done so much damage indirectly, by advancing your knights so many times.
Thanks. I guess the converse of this is that Gilbert should be targeted early, if possible, when your opponent has him.

Is it going too far to conclude that other human champions should generally not be drafted alongside Gilbert and the Knights? The strategy you describe doesn't seem to give them any opportunities to do their thing.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

I think eldgrim has the most merit in Gilbert/knight builds, espcially if there are glyphs involved. Outside of him, I don't typically have other champions in my Gilbert builds.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I faced this build the other day:

Knights x3
Gilbert
Raelin (rotv)
Eldgrim
Kaemon Awa

Nasty, nasty nasty!

The only thing I manage to kill was myself...

My army was rats x3, WoB x3, Nilfheim.

-insert signature here-
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
I think eldgrim has the most merit in Gilbert/knight builds, espcially if there are glyphs involved. Outside of him, I don't typically have other champions in my Gilbert builds.
Yeah, moving Eldgrim first turn to a glyph w/ overextend is a great way to throw a monkey wrench in the plans of rats even if you lose initiative, and then you can go with Sir Gilbert for the rest of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Thanks. I guess the converse of this is that Gilbert should be targeted early, if possible, when your opponent has him.

Is it going too far to conclude that other human champions should generally not be drafted alongside Gilbert and the Knights? The strategy you describe doesn't seem to give them any opportunities to do their thing.
The only problem with going for Sir Gilbert first is that it's often a very difficult thing to do. With 6 life and 4 defense, and a range of 8 on his aura, he can be tough to bring down, and if you try too hard, there will soon be a lot of Knights near your face.

As the game progresses and eventually he engages something to allow the Krav/Nilfheim to take over, you're often wondering where you went wrong, but can't really point to any one thing. I love using the X order marker in this army. Unlike rats, the Knights can continue to be imposing long into a game.

Quote:
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
I have actually put Gilbert and Alistar in the same army together. I played:
Alister
Gilbert
Eldgrim
4x Kow
Isamu

to a range heavy tournament and was happy with the results. I didn't win but was very pleased and will probably take it again if the opportunity arrises.

The trick to having multiple heros for the knights is knowing when to use each one. If there are glyphs Eldgrim comes first (obvious choice) and some knights get a head start. Then you start moving 8 of them at a time with the help of Gilbert. Once most of your knights are in position you switch your bonding to Alister. Often times he can be in the fight in less than a round your opponent is now stuck. The choice to be made is 1) go after Gilbert to hinder further movement of remaining knights or 2) go after Alister to kill the hardest hitter in the army (2 attacks of 5 followed up by 4 attacks of 3 can putt a hurting on just about anybody).

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy using multiple heros, timing is critical though. I've even used this before:
2x KoW
2x 4th
Gilbert
Alister

Use Jandar's dispatch to position your 4th and Knights then follow the same bonding strategy as before. I would be concerned if I took this to some tournaments because of the low number of commons, but I enjoy playing that it regardless.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I also like using Gilbert with Alastair. Especially when Alastair is adjacent to Gilbert.

Of course my tourney record is better when just using Gilbert.

I prefer Alastair, Johnny, and Isamu to Nilfheim for the last 185 points.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units