Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 17th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Honestly, I'd probably just drop his normal move to 5 and then give him something like the Quickblades' Vault power. More useful, less trapped in a miasma of corner cases, still plenty thematic.
This isn't a bad idea, but it would prevent Forward Lunge from activating.
I know it might seem unreasonable, if I can in anyway, make Running Jump work, I want to try and do it. If it all comes crashing down with nothing left to change, then I'll look down other avenues.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

This might seem harsh, but I always eye ball a card before considering it "classic".

This includes colour, general, state box, and left side box. It also includes the special powers. Does the font look smaller than existing cards? ARE the powers explanations long? if there is more than one power, how long is each power? How many powers are there.

these questions are irrelevant for personal customs (I have a Megatron card that breaks all my guidelines, but this is SoV. If you are aiming for classic then you should mimic classic.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
However I do want to point out that forward lunge can't be used with Evasion instinct, so the most attack you could have without bonding is 3.
I hadn't thought of that, but that is technically true. However, I doubt everyone playing it would play it the same way. The Evasion Instinct move is technically a move, but Lunge Forward seems like it only counts normal movement.

Overall:
Running Jump -- Thematically cool, but I really doubt it will be very useful. Just too much setup for it. That's ok for a small bonus power, but not for a big, wordy one.
Lunge Forward -- Again neat thematically, but really it doesn't provide anything over First Assault except difficult wording and more corner cases.
Evasion Instinct -- Has neat potential both before attacking and after, though the name needs to match how it's used.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Questions.

If I used First Assault with +2, instead of 3, dropped the straight line mechanic, and called it Forward Lunge, would that be acceptable?

What if Running Jump just allowed you to ignore elevations of 2 or less when moving? (but you can only move 6 spaces if you use it.)

Is Evasion Instinct okay, if you can't attack after using it?
What if it triggered upon successfully blocking an attack?
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
If I used First Assault with +2, instead of 3, dropped the straight line mechanic, and called it Forward Lunge, would that be acceptable?
Yes, quite acceptable, but just call it First Assault 2.
Quote:
What if Running Jump just allowed you to ignore elevations of 2 or less when moving? (but you can only move 6 spaces if you use it.)
Custom creators have struggled to come up with the right wording for that for as long as I've seen people do customs. It's much harder than you think.
Quote:
Yes, though why would you ever use it before attacking then? If you want to simply make it an evasion thing, put it after moving. Note, though, that any "before attacking" or "after attacking" wording does not necessitate making an attack--he will be able to do the movement regardless.
Quote:
A cool and useful ability, albeit quite a bit different than what you had.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Try a simple Agressive Vault

After moving if this figure ends it movement adjacent to an enemy figure you may move this figure to and space adjacent to that figure. blah blah leaving engagement yadda yadda.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Custom creators have struggled to come up with the right wording for that for as long as I've seen people do customs. It's much harder than you think.
Did I do it?

Running Jump
Move 6. Instead of moving normally, move 3 spaces on the same level, then for the remaining 3 spaces, ignore elevation changes of 2 or less.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, though why would you ever use it before attacking then? If you want to simply make it an evasion thing, put it after moving. Note, though, that any "before attacking" or "after attacking" wording does not necessitate making an attack--he will be able to do the movement regardless.
Thats fine, I wanted the figure to be able to attack with a bonus if they started the engagement, but I still wanted them to be able to get out of any engagement they start.

Quote:
Quote:
A cool and useful ability, albeit quite a bit different than what you had.
If I don't use it here, I'm using it on another custom I want to submit to you guys. I have 2 - 3 other figures, and a squad that I want to submit to you guys. Hopefully that's not annoying. I'm really enjoying this whole process of figuring out how to word everything, and balancing it. The process with this one, will help keep the others from being so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post

After moving if this figure ends it movement adjacent to an enemy figure you may move this figure to and space adjacent to that figure. blah blah leaving engagement yadda yadda.
No, the whole point was to be able to get in an engagement, and then get out of it all in one turn. I wanted a Hit and run hero, but I didn't want to give them pure Disengage.
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Did I do it?

Running Jump
Move 6. Instead of moving normally, move 3 spaces on the same level, then for the remaining 3 spaces, ignore elevation changes of 2 or less.
No, it has many of the same problems that the wording normally has. Like it's unclear if you mean two total, or two per space. Also, what does it mean to ignore them? Do you reduce all elevation changes by 2?

There's a reason the ODs never did something like this, which is probably the same reason VC hasn't either.

Quote:
Hopefully that's not annoying.
Not at all. We're here to serve the community and we live on its support. And I applaud your willingness to come here first instead of directly submitting.
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post

No, the whole point was to be able to get in an engagement, and then get out of it all in one turn. I wanted a Hit and run hero, but I didn't want to give them pure Disengage.
What about something like:

LEAPING SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
Range: 3 Special Attack: 4
After moving before attacking, Maltis may choose a non-adjacent figure whose base is not higher or lower than 5 levels from his base. After attacking, if Maltis inflicted a wound, you may place him on an unoccupied space within 2 spaces of the chosen figure. If Maltis did not inflict a wound, place him adjacent to the chosen figure.

Borrowed from the Wolves of Badru. Needs a better name and better wording for what level he gets placed on after that attack but this might help simplify the desire to move/attack/move. With this power, I would drop his move from 7 to 5.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Did I do it?

Running Jump
No, it has many of the same problems that the wording normally has. Like it's unclear if you mean two total, or two per space. Also, what does it mean to ignore them? Do you reduce all elevation changes by 2?

There's a reason the ODs never did something like this, which is probably the same reason VC hasn't either.
If I made it "ignore elevation changes of 2 or less per space." would that help at all?

You ignore elevation changes if they are 2 or less. If they are greater, you do not ignore them. Why would that mean to reduce them? I understand that you are pointing out possible misunderstandings, but this one doesn't make sense to me.

Let me give this another shot...

Running Jump
Move 6. Instead of moving normally, move 3 spaces on the same level. For the remaining 3 movement spaces, add 1 to Maltis Tez's move for each terrain level he climbs up. You may only add up to 2 moves per space.

Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully that's not annoying.
Not at all. We're here to serve the community and we live on its support. And I applaud your willingness to come here first instead of directly submitting.
I'm glad to hear that. Once I get this figure squared away, I'll get to work on the next one. I've learned a lot just today, by doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Quote:
What about something like:

LEAPING SWORD SPECIAL ATTACK
Range: 3 Special Attack: 4
After moving before attacking, Maltis may choose a non-adjacent figure whose base is not higher or lower than 5 levels from his base. After attacking, if Maltis inflicted a wound, you may place him on an unoccupied space within 2 spaces of the chosen figure. If Maltis did not inflict a wound, place him adjacent to the chosen figure.

Borrowed from the Wolves of Badru. Needs a better name and better wording for what level he gets placed on after that attack but this might help simplify the desire to move/attack/move. With this power, I would drop his move from 7 to 5.
Interesting. But I like the current ability because it doesn't require you to successfully wound. Also, I want Maltis to have a high move even if he isn't close to anyone.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:49 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Maybe take a look at the CUC Shaolin Monks modified Stealth Leap. I think it is sort of what you are looking for with Maltis.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=27657

It is very wordy, so you probably only have room for one other power on the Army card.

Spoiler Alert!
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Maybe take a look at the CUC Shaolin Monks modified Stealth Leap. I think it is sort of what you are looking for with Maltis.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=27657

It is very wordy, so you probably only have room for one other power on the Army card.

Spoiler Alert!
Yeah, wordyness is really one of the issue with the way I originally worded it. Currently my proposal doesn't have all the flying text stuff added in like Stealth leap does, so if I can get this version to work, I think it will be better.

The CUC is interesting to me. I like that they want to make things viable, but at the same time, I don't really think some of the changes they made were really needed. Or rather, they didn't do it in a way that I personally like. Many of them make a lot of sense though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards