Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

View Poll Results: Which map best embodies the spirit of CMoM?
Morh 6 19.35%
Hotstepper 7 22.58%
Obsidian Summit 1 3.23%
Construction site 13 41.94%
The Darkway or the Lightway 2 6.45%
Biting Cold 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1st, 2013, 11:43 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!
CMoM Voting- Poll B

Poll A

CMoM Map Competition

Classic Maps of Marvel

This is the first round of voting for the CMoM map competition. The top two voted from each poll will advance into the next round, along with 1 wild card (the entry with the most votes out of both threads that is not already advancing.)

Voting guidelines-
  • Does it effectively use the Marvel terrain?
  • Does it fit the spirit of the CMoM competition?
  • Would it be likely to be consistantly used in competitive/tournament play?

Biting Cold

Download

The Darkway or the Lightway

Download PDF

Construction Site

Destruction Site googledocs link.

Obsidian Summit

Build Instructions

Hotstepper

Download

Morh

Download PDF

Last edited by Black_Charos; March 2nd, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: CMoM Voting- Poll B

I'm sorry, but just using Marvel for start zones doesn't cut it for me. Not very creative use in my opinion.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I'm sorry, but just using Marvel for start zones doesn't cut it for me. Not very creative use in my opinion.
Okay, well then don't vote for those maps?

I think that all of these entries are very creatively done and bring something new to the tournament scene. I haven't voted for one yet just because they are all so well done that I can't bring myself to not pick some of them. Nice job all entrants.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Quote:
Okay, well then don't vote for those maps?

I think that all of these entries are very creatively done and bring something new to the tournament scene. I haven't voted for one yet just because they are all so well done that I can't bring myself to not pick some of them. Nice job all entrants.
Yeah, I sounded a little harsh there, did I?

Yes, they all do look great to me, but I'd rather have the Marvel be an integral part of the map instead of just stuck on the outside.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:11 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The thing is that the Marvel is so perfect for startzones. I have my map built still and it looks a lot more Marvel than in VS. The Molten Lava in the startzone looks really nice too. Molten Lava+Asphalt and Concrete looks soooo good.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM

kola Woo who?

Construction site wins it for me because of its great creaivity and competative play. I feel like it is a well balanced map that alot of effort was put into. So goodluck TheSparkelInYourWater

*Zombies eat your BRAINS!*
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kola View Post
Construction site wins it for me because of its great creaivity and competative play. I feel like it is a well balanced map that alot of effort was put into. So goodluck TheSparkelInYourWater
Thanks, but those other maps are probably more balanced for competitive play, it's pretty hard to make a map with that kind of height completely balanced with some units (ranged flyers mainly).

Also, the map is supposed to be Destruction Site, not Construction Site. That's the complete opposite!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Biting Cold - A nice looking map, great symmetry. But I worry about how close some of the start zones are to each other. You could effectively Z-bomb a third of your Army on the first OM. So as a competative map, I'd have to say no.

The Darkway or the Lightway - another good looking map. Nice use of terrain by splitting start zones with molten lava. But this map again would be a pain for melee units as there is little blocking terrain and no roads to speed movement. Probably not competitive.

Construction site - nice looking map, really well put together...but if I were to use this in a tournament, I'd have to add a rule that "nothing could land on the Warehouse ruin". Warehouses are not competitive in any way, because "ranged fliers" have a distinct advantage of being able to turtle up there without the risk of being attacked by any melee units.

Obsidian Summit - a beautiful map for casual/scenario play. Very aesthetically pleasing. But for competitive play, no so much. Too wide open, melee would struggle.

Morh - another Typhon map that is beautiful and does look compeative. If fits all the parameters, but as I said for his other submitted map the use of 2xTT and 1xVW, may make me shy away from using it in a tournament.

Hotstepper - Another great looking map by tannergx. Love the use of lave field in the start zone, really will make one plan out their start positions, as moving the figures off there in the first turn would ideally be you first moves. The road and trees help melee, and the twist and turns will make fro some fun games.

Overall, a nice selection of maps, but if I were directing a tournament, I have to think about maximizing my terrain, so I'll go with Hotstepper.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Construction site -... Warehouses are not competitive in any way, because "ranged fliers" have a distinct advantage of being able to turtle up there without the risk of being attacked by any melee units.
Actually the Warehouse Ruins on that map are adjacent to the Road tile right by it, just 1 level up, so non-flying melee figures can easily engage those on the Warehouse and move on to it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparkleInYourWater View Post
Also, the map is supposed to be Destruction Site, not Construction Site. That's the complete opposite!
Also this.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Hi MegaSilver,

I hear what you are saying. But for me, the placement you are seeing is mostly a function of the contest brief:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
GOAL:
-Create balanced, playable maps to use with classic Heroscape that use exactly 1 Marvel Masterset.
The maps are supposed to be for classic play, so to me that means they need to fit into Valhalla. That makes concrete and asphalt (at least tiles meant to represent concrete and asphalt) non-starters, given the prevalence of a medieval/fantasy theme in most classic terrain sets. It also rules out the presence of a brick warehouse ruin.

So that leaves me basically burying the concrete or using it to proxy road or grey rock. And the logical choice for asphalt is to have it represent black rock or cooled lava, the latter use being declared pedestrian by a BOV judge just recently.

Anyways, the Marvel set is tough to use if you constrain yourself as I have above, and even tougher if you are worried about being called tacky. If I was trying to put together a map for C3G, I suspect it would look a lot different.

~tgx

Last edited by tannergx; March 2nd, 2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Ommission
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Biting Cold - A nice looking map, great symmetry. But I worry about how close some of the start zones are to each other. You could effectively Z-bomb a third of your Army on the first OM. So as a competative map, I'd have to say no.
Hi ZB,

I think you might be being a little too tough on Biting Cold. Yes it permits a Z-bomb on the first order marker, but it does allow for a fast counterattack... to my eye it looks like most melee units could reach Zelrig on their first turn after the bomb in most locations. So that means placing a lot of your army at risk to get the Z-bomb off.

This is a map I'd really like to play on more.

Cheers,

~tgx

Last edited by tannergx; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: P.S. Thanks for the kind words on both my maps.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:08 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Fun discussion here. I love these competitions for the analyses they generate. It's not often that a lot of people come together to collectively discuss a group of maps — wish it happened more happen! — and I always feel I learn something from reading others' responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
And the logical choice for asphalt is to have it represent black rock or cooled lava, the latter use being declared pedestrian by a BOV judge just recently.
No worries there! Another BoV judge <ahem> would use the word 'shmexy' instead.

Last edited by Typhon2222; March 3rd, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games