Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Who fits in best with DnD theme?

I was thinking that when I'm playing in DnD mode, with scenarios and dungeon crawling, I may "ban", or just opt not to use modern or futuristic figures. This is just my own preference, as I've always been a bigger fan of fantasy rather than Sci Fi. So the way I play, unfortunately Vydar will only have Braxas, Dund and Sudema (I'm still on the wall about Otonashi and ninjas in general).
So as I was going through the books looking at what figures will fit in the theme of DnD Scape best, some jumped out. Obviously the Elves of Ullar all fit in perfectly. As do Jandar's Knights and their respective Champions.

But one unit that I am really looking forward to using in the Dungeon crawl scenarios is: The Shades of Bleakewood. Seeing as how you will be facing mostly heroes, the stock of Shades and Soul Devour goes way up. And since the Dungeon rooms tend to be small, their 7 stealth fly should allow them to cross the room quickly. Thematically, one would imagine ghosts roaming through the haunted pits that the heros delve into. Ana even has a special attack that targets them as undead, so it fits in perfect.
My Shades are going to get a lot more play. Have you found any units that you feel the same about?

(I'm also pretty excited about filling caves full of all the Wolves of Utgar, Dumutef Guards and of course, Sir Hawthorne)
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Who fits in best with DnD theme?

Most Marro I would say no but I think the drones or the dividers have a chance. The drones ability to swarm in a cramped dungeon could really provide that fighting off legions feel.

Tandros' cleve will be huge.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I can't wait to run a dwarven army through some mines.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would think that a KOW, Sir Gilbert, Alastair, human champion army would be a very tough dungeon army. It moves fast, has great bonding options, high defense, powerful multiple attacks, coward's reward, ...
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM

cereal crusher Woo who?

Check out my work in progress - Return to the Undeaderdark in the DnD scenario section. End plug.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Ninjas should be acceptable, in the D&D line there even exists a mini for a ninja (a future addtion for aquilla perhaps?).

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Most Marro I would say no but I think the drones or the dividers have a chance. The drones ability to swarm in a cramped dungeon could really provide that fighting off legions feel.

Tandros' cleve will be huge.
Don't forget Ki-Mo-Shi, mindshackle is extra-scary in a dungeon (and she's a witch!) Come to think of it, most of the Marro heros would be acceptable.

@ A_Train: For what it's worth, I don't really like the idea of banning the "heroscape genre mish-mash" in a dungeon setting. Remember that this "underdark" isn't located on Torril, Oerth, or any other DnD world, it's on Valhalla so there's really no reason not to send in the robots, paratroopers, soldiers, and cowboys (all cowboy party anyone?).

I do see where you're coming from though, and there are quite a few classic heros that work well with what you're going for. Guys like: Crixus, Kaemon Awa, Sonya, Iskra (those two actually sound pretty good) and of course Raelin . . . .

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, when thinking of Marro, I was only excluding those with firearms. All the hereos but Me Burq Sa pass that test, and I might even let him get away with it for being mounted and all.

I know "banning" units is never popular, and its not what I'm going for. But even in regular Heroscape, I would often cringe when fielding orcs alongside a Deathwalker (ok, bad example, everyone cringes when they field Deathwalkers). I preferred to try to keep to a theme. And that is how I intend to play the Dungeon Crawl most of the time as well.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Valhalla Society members' units would all pass muster for this theme.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Battle Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

No, I want no Gladiatrons, Deathreavers or Deathstalkers (nor Deathwalkers of the self destruction variety) in my Dungeon crawls. Though I will be excluding everyone who is also excluded from the Vhalla Society.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

No, I want no Gladiatrons, Deathreavers or Deathstalkers (nor Deathwalkers of the self destruction variety) in my Dungeon crawls. Though I will be excluding everyone who is also excluded from the Vhalla Society.
I dinno,

An ancient guard left behind by a technologiclly advanced society, tasked with gaurding a well spring... perfect for the DW's and Zeitians. The story played out in FF1, Castle in the Sky, and many other fantasy stories.

Drake to Gorillinator: "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't think you have to feel bad using the soulborgs (especially the Death Reavers and Death Stalkers.)

D&D has the clock work line of mechanical creatures

Clockwork Steed

Clockwork Horrors

Golems of all sorts

However, the same logic I am using to say not feel bad about using soulborgs, I say, if you don't like them in your dungeons, don't use them!

I just wanted to show that even though D&D is typically seen as a fantasy only setting, there is some bits of sci-fi (which are closer to steampunk and magic, but still fits in with heroscape.)

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion