Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 29th, 2015, 02:47 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZombie View Post
Got my copy of Zombicide Black Plague and have been working through that.

Great game and lots of fun. I can't wait for Wave 2 of my KS stuff to come. It'll make it even more fun!
My friend's friend just got his KS copy and last Tues brought it to the weekly board game night at my local FLGS to play. Six out of the seven of us were very familiar with the original Zombiecide game and perhaps may have jumped into a scenario a bit over confident. I got a bad feeling about it when the first card drawn from the spawning deck was an Abomination. We decided to bury it and re-shuffle the deck. It was indeed a lot of FUN, but seemed quite a bit more difficult than other ZC games that I've participated in. One-by-one our party was being eliminated and after 2 1/2 hours my character was the only one still alive, so I decided to stay in the underground vault room and *NOT* make any noise that might attract the 100+ grey pawns scattered all over the game board. The same group may be attempting another round of it tonight.

Last night I stopped in at a FLGS 50 miles away to visit some old friends and walked into an impromptu Star Wars: X-Wing tournament. I knew that Mondays are usually their casual SW:X-W game night so I was prepared to play, but since they just ran a large 28 player tournament on Sunday, I didn't expect such a high level of competitiveness. So I went with only two ships, because I had lost against this build several times during a recent six week league event at another FLGS:
Corran Horn in his E-Wing with R2D2, Push-The-Limits, Fire-Control-System, Proton Torpedoes and Auto-Thusters modification and Poe Dameron in his T-70 X-Wing with R7P9, Push The Limits, Engine Upgrade, Proton Torpedoes, and Weapons-Guidance. I won 2 out of the 3 games and came in 8th out of 18 participants. It was a very fun evening.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; December 30th, 2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: corrected error
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:56 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well after about 12 plays on Ticket to Ride (with 1910 Mega Game) the family has concluded that this is a great game. The only issue I'm having is that when we play with four I have issues with the Green/Blue/Black trains and telling them apart. The cards and board is fine but the darker colors of the plastic trains are just too close for my colorblindness and it takes a lot for me to not mess up and keep a destination ticket for ar route that is impossible due to mistaken identity of trains. I did notice that one of the other versions comes with white trains. Does anyone know where I could get just that set of trains. I checked ebay and could only find the basic colors that come with the USA and Europe versions.

Also we have played three games of Forbidden Desert.
3 player - lost badly
3 player - lost but felt we did better
4 player - Won.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You could just spray paint the trains....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:16 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Well after about 12 plays on Ticket to Ride (with 1910 Mega Game) the family has concluded that this is a great game. The only issue I'm having is that when we play with four I have issues with the Green/Blue/Black trains and telling them apart. The cards and board is fine but the darker colors of the plastic trains are just too close for my colorblindness and it takes a lot for me to not mess up and keep a destination ticket for ar route that is impossible due to mistaken identity of trains. I did notice that one of the other versions comes with white trains. Does anyone know where I could get just that set of trains. I checked ebay and could only find the basic colors that come with the USA and Europe versions.

3 player - lost badly
4 player - Won.
There is a Halloween Freighter set that you could use. It replaces 1 whole set of trains & each carriage has (comparatively) large pumpkins on them. That would make it clearly identifiable .
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:44 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
We will call this Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:

3 player - lost badly
4 player - Won.
There is a Halloween Freighter set that you could use. It replaces 1 whole set of trains & each carriage has (comparatively) large pumpkins on them. That would make it clearly identifiable .
This will be Plan C. My wife I'm sure would love them but on brief searching they looked pricey. I will keep looking though.

I saw the other colors $5 a set and I thought that sounded doable but then couldn't fine the white ones. If anyone spots them let me know.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Last night I stopped in at a FLGS 50 miles away to visit some old friends and walked into an impromptu Star Wars: X-Wing tournament. I knew that Mondays are usually their casual SW:X-W game night so I was prepared to play, but since they just ran a large 28 player tournament on Sunday, I didn't expect such a high level of competitiveness. So I went with only two ships, because I had lost against this build several times during a recent six week league event at another FLGS:
Corran Horn in his E-Wing with R2D2, Push-The-Limits, Fire-Control-System, Proton Torpedoes and a modification and Poe Dameron in his T-70 X-Wing with R7P9, Push The Limits, Engine Upgrade, Proton Torpedoes, and Weapons-Guidance. I won 2 out of the 3 games and came in 8th out of 18 participants.
Great job! I suggest posting it in the X-Wing thread.
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:00 AM

Thanks @MegaSilver - I didn't even know there was an X-Wing thread, since I usually just follow the conversations that I've already participated in, which show up in my "User CP"

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
We will call this Plan B

Quote:
Quote:
Well after about 12 plays on Ticket to Ride (with 1910 Mega Game) the family has concluded that this is a great game.
<~snip/snip~>
This will be Plan C. My wife I'm sure would love them but on brief searching they looked pricey. I will keep looking though.

I saw the other colors $5 a set and I thought that sounded doable but then couldn't fine the white ones. If anyone spots them let me know.

They are a little pricey (okay, a lot pricey - in fact a complete set of replacement trains at $89.00 is about twice as much as the whole game costs), but you should definitely check out: http://www.MeepleSource.COM
They have upgrade sets for a variety of games, including TTR.

Last edited by Johngee; December 30th, 2015 at 01:10 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:04 AM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
We will call this Plan B

Quote:
Quote:
Well after about 12 plays on Ticket to Ride (with 1910 Mega Game) the family has concluded that this is a great game.
<~snip/snip~>

They are a little pricey (okay, a lot pricey - in fact a complete set of replacement trains at $89.00 is about twice as much as the whole game costs), but you should definitely check out: http://www.MeepleSource.COM
They have upgrade sets for a variety of games, including TTR.
Thanks for the info, but yeah...that's a lot pricey. I'd don't want to upgrade mys set to all wood but if I did those do look nice.

Old December 30th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:

3 player - lost badly
4 player - Won.
My dad has trouble distinguishing between the German figures and the American figures when we play Memoir 44. Memoir 44 uses figures to represent tanks, infantry, and artillery pieces, and there will be up to 4 figures per hex.

What I do: For one of the sides, I'll replace one of the figures per hex with a lighter colored piece from the Japanese or British figures. He's had no trouble distinguishing pieces this way.

Possibilities for your TTR games: I haven't played it myself, but I believe you have a string of train figures connecting destinations. You could turn one of the pieces sideways, or you could use a contrasting colored train for one of the pieces. You could replace one of the train figures with some other token, such as a 6-sided die with the actual color represented by a number (1=green, 2=blue, 3=black).
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:45 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Davidlhsl,

Yeah, the M44 German and American pieces have the same 'intensity,' even though they are different colors! There is a similar problem with the C&C Napoleonics French (Dark Blue) and Prussian (Dark Gray) blocks. So you not only have to be careful on the battlefield, but some end up getting put away in the other armies' plastic baggies between games!
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:05 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:

3 player - lost badly
4 player - Won.
My dad has trouble distinguishing between the German figures and the American figures when we play Memoir 44. Memoir 44 uses figures to represent tanks, infantry, and artillery pieces, and there will be up to 4 figures per hex.

What I do: For one of the sides, I'll replace one of the figures per hex with a lighter colored piece from the Japanese or British figures. He's had no trouble distinguishing pieces this way.

Possibilities for your TTR games: I haven't played it myself, but I believe you have a string of train figures connecting destinations. You could turn one of the pieces sideways, or you could use a contrasting colored train for one of the pieces. You could replace one of the train figures with some other token, such as a 6-sided die with the actual color represented by a number (1=green, 2=blue, 3=black).
Well my father in law went home yesterday so we will be mostly 3 players for awhile so I'll be fine for now with the Yellow, Red (my son's favorite color), and Green (my wife's favorite color).

Aren't M44 and TtR by the same company. Maybe it's the dye they use for the colors that makes them blend in for some of us.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games