Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 19th, 2022, 10:22 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: AoA:Vanguard Campaign Postmortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I personally think it was odd and less than ideal to:

1. Introduce so many new factions all at once including some that felt only mildly different than classic factions

2. Not have much continuation at all of classic factions, including those with only small factional buds that could've really used some love

3. Talk up the faction part of things soooo much in marketing when really the factions themselves don't make that much of a difference in gameplay

You could largely repeat these three points about the new Generals as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
I think it was the stylistic differences referenced earlier and in other threads that put people off of these factions. They weren’t the pirate faction or the cyborg faction, they were all much more specific which in itself is a departure from the classic game.

As previous stated in this thread, the lore was a significant part of this relaunch and effort was made to explain the factions and their backgrounds, but when it comes down to what Heroscape is at its core (orcs, elves, robots, soldiers, aliens, samurai, etc.), the scope is broader than Ironclad Collective and Clockwork Combine.

It’s just a different aesthetic and an unnecessary one to a lot of folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
For my part, I've stated that if you're selling nostalgia, the product needs to be the same as it was, which includes similar cards, excellent designs, awesome sculpts and painted figures. A check on everything but the last...so it isn't Heroscape (the Heroscape of nostalgia).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
The original game had synergistic figure groups but they were never called "Factions" and they didn't overshadow the alliances to the Generals. And they didn't all come out at once.

It was just one more weird thing added to the game by someone who didn't get Heroscape to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
I don't mind having factions as an abstract idea in HS, but they never have been nor should be a marketed focus. If a faction happens to come about due to certain design decisions, that's great. But, as others have said, that's not at the forefront of what HS is as a game or as a product.
Got it, makes more sense to me now. FWIW I don't necessarily disagree, maybe my tolerance for getting away from the original product is higher? Not that that's a good thing either.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion