Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

View Poll Results: When did you start playing 'scape?
2004 5 10.87%
2005 5 10.87%
2006 8 17.39%
2007 5 10.87%
2008 3 6.52%
2009 7 15.22%
2010 5 10.87%
Post-Discontinuation 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Codex Community Poll: Issue #2

Hey all,

This is the poll we'll feature in the February issue of the Codex Vol.2. A fairly generic question, but something I've been interested in. Spread the word, and get more people to respond!

Thanks,
El T
Old January 5th, 2014, 01:49 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth
Re: Codex Community Poll: Issue #2

The first time I saw the game was when my nephew got it for his birthday in November 2004. However, my first game wasn't until the following summer, July of 2005.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I bought RotV, Orms, and RttFF back when it first came out, but didn't really get into the game. However, in late 2010/early 2011 a friend invited me over to play a 4-player free for all with 1000+ points each and all-custom armies, so I dusted off the old sets I had kept. Needless to sat, I was hooked.
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:00 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Got my first RotV with Christmas money in Jan 2006. Signed up for Heroscapers 9 months later .

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM

Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker

I started playing "classic" heroscape last year but I had Marvel Scape before that.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My 'scaping began circa '06 when my buddy got RotV from the store and I went over to his house to play it. We were pretty young, and our rules were absurdly deviant from the actual rules. We'd actually put the wound markers on the board and let figures pick them up to boost their attack and defense, if you believe it. I got RotV next Christmas and we were hooked.

We used to play all the time, and eventually we learned the actual rules. Then we both moved away and I hadn't opened the ol' Heroscape box in ages until early 2013 when we both got back into 'scaping and I joined HSers.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

This is a tough one... I signed up for the site in 2006, but that was after a LONG break of the game. I'd have to have gotten it for Christmas of 2004, as I remember buying Maliddon's Prophecy at Walmart shortly after. Snipers and Vipers, I believe?

If not 2004 than 2005, as I definitely had it for some time before signing up for the site. I'm thinking '04 though... that'd make this year the 10th anniversary of my owning it. Wow.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:01 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Honestly... I can't remember

I think I started in '07 when SoA bought a RotV from Walmart. However, we didn't really get into it until it was already discontinued.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:54 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

A mini-history of my relationship with Heroscape:

I played my first game of Heroscape in the Spring semester of 2010 when my roommate invited me to come play with one his professors (also an acquaintance of mine through my ex-girlfriend) on a Friday night.

We played 1,000-point, 4-9 player games that took all night and played many of the rules all wrong. But I was hooked. It wasn't long before I started beating myself up for dismissing this game in Wal-Mart because I thought "Vikings, Orcs, Dinosaurs, and Robots in the same game? That's dumb!"

At some point I found this site and started actually reading the rulebooks and correcting the way we played. I also started integrating strategies that I learned on the site and got to be an even better player.

In 2010 I started borrowing my RA's Heroscape collection to do playtests for C3V.

In 2012 (once I had a wife to finance me ) I started collecting my own pieces via eBay and Craigslist.

By October 2012 I got to be a Public Access Member for C3V. As my PAM tour was coming to a close, ZBeeblebrox retired from the SoV and encouraged me to apply to take his place. I did, and now I'm an SoV judge.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; January 6th, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: My wife insisted I put in the comment about her. We were both working, but she graduated before me and so was full-time first
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

As my join date was July 15, 2008, and I stated in my profile that I'd been playing at least a year, I'm guessing sometime in 2007. From a 2009 blog post:

My friend, chas, has arranged for me to acquire a Heroscape Hoard for a relative song. I won't know 'til Wednsday exactly what I have. As I understand it, I will have at least 1 of just about everything. I laud his kindness and generosity yet again herein and ask you all to celebrate with me as I become a True Heroscaper (with the possession of my own figures)!

Before this, I would play once in a while at chas' place, using his figures on his maps. But, once I had my own figures, I was no longer content with borrowing, and wanted to field my own as much as possible. I started buying 'Scape in dribs and drabs, and now have a pretty eclectic collection of units and terrain that is far from complete, but more than adequate for my needs.
Old January 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Back in the mid 2000's I dipped my toes into hobby board gaming, buying Carcassonne, Age of Steam, Union Pacific, Settlers and a couple of other games. I enjoyed several of that initial batch of games for years, but other priorities made it so I didn't look to expand beyond them.

Fast forward to the end of 2010 when another site I frequented linked to Tom Vasel's review of Dominant Species, because of its evolution theme. I never was interested in Dominant Species, but that video review led me to start think about expanding in the board game hobby and I started listening to Tom's podcast, The Dice Tower. In the then-recent episodes he was mourning the cancellation of some game named Heroscape. I watched his 5-part video series on it and knew I had to get the game. I printed out a set of rules and started reading. I had that rulebook on my desk one day when someone else who was looking to get rid of his collection happened to see it. I bought everything he and a friend of his had sight-unseen for what turned out to be a deal-of-the-decade for me.

So I guess you can blame evolution for me being around here. While I can't say with confidence if I first got into the game at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011, your option of Post-Discontinuation was perfect for me.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Back in the mid 2000's I dipped my toes into hobby board gaming, buying Carcassonne, Age of Steam, Union Pacific, Settlers and a couple of other games. I enjoyed several of that initial batch of games for years, but other priorities made it so I didn't look to expand beyond them.

Fast forward to the end of 2010 when another site I frequented linked to Tom Vasel's review of Dominant Species, because of its evolution theme. I never was interested in Dominant Species, but that video review led me to start think about expanding in the board game hobby and I started listening to Tom's podcast, The Dice Tower. In the then-recent episodes he was mourning the cancellation of some game named Heroscape. I watched his 5-part video series on it and knew I had to get the game. I printed out a set of rules and started reading. I had that rulebook on my desk one day when someone else who was looking to get rid of his collection happened to see it. I bought everything he and a friend of his had sight-unseen for what turned out to be a deal-of-the-decade for me.

So I guess you can blame evolution for me being around here. While I can't say with confidence if I first got into the game at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011, your option of Post-Discontinuation was perfect for me.
Wow, so I guess that means you rose through the ranks of Heroscapers to Admin pretty quickly, eh?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online