Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old September 18th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
FIRST STRIKE: How would YOU do it?

-This thread is the first of a series-

First Strike is an ability from Magic: the Gathering
Quote:
First strike (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)
Essentially, if a creature with first strike attacks or blocks, it deals damage first, potentially killing the opponent's figure before reacting.

This power has been a brain thumper for me.

So how would YOU do it?

Spoiler Alert!

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.

Last edited by Confred; September 18th, 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker
Re: FIRST STRIKE: How would YOU do it?

Maybe if you roll all skulls/swords they can't roll defense or roll less.
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Controler View Post
Makes sense. Just like Paralyzing stare or Maul.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Controler View Post
This is what I had come up with

1) When attacking, if ~ rolls all crossed weapons symbols, then the defending figure cannot roll defense dice.

2) When attacking, the defending figure rolls 1 less defense die for each crossed weapons symbol ~ rolls for the attack.

#1 is basically what you said.

What about defense though? First strikers are good defenders also.

1.2) 1) When attacking, if ~ rolls all crossed weapons symbols, then the defending figure cannot roll defense dice. When defending, if ~ rolls all shield symbols, then the attacking figure cannot roll attack dice.

2.2) When attacking, roll attack dice first; the defending figure rolls 1 less defense die for each crossed weapons symbol ~ rolled for the attack. When defending, roll defense dice first; the attacking figure rolls 1 less attack die for each shield symbol ~ rolled for its defense.

I like 2.2 the best so far.

Old September 18th, 2015, 03:23 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Three Strikes

Couple of ideas.

FIRST STRIKE
When this figure is targeted for an attack by an adjacent figure, you may roll a number of attack dice equal to this figure's power. Place as many wounds on that figure as crossed swords rolled. If the figure is still able to attack, resolve that attack.

FIRST STRIKE
This figure may not be attacked until it has made an attack.

FIRST STRIKE
Before this figure attacks, you may inflict a wound on the targeted figure.

~Dysole, spitballing
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

First Strike
When attacking a figure without First Strike, add the Defense value to the Attack value before attacking. When defending against an attack from an adjacent figure without First Strike, add the Attack value to the Defense value before rolling defense, and all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.

Alternatively you could have "First Strike X" with X as the static number to add to attack and defense.

~Aldin, loving First Strike when he's got it and hating it when he doesn't

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Re: Three Strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Couple of ideas.

FIRST STRIKE
When this figure is targeted for an attack by an adjacent figure, you may roll a number of attack dice equal to this figure's power. Place as many wounds on that figure as crossed swords rolled. If the figure is still able to attack, resolve that attack.

FIRST STRIKE
This figure may not be attacked until it has made an attack.

FIRST STRIKE
Before this figure attacks, you may inflict a wound on the targeted figure.

~Dysole, spitballing
Those were similar to other thoughts I had.

Basically a version of Engagement Strike.

3) First Strike 13
Whenever ~ attacks or defends, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 13 or higher, deal 1 damage to the other figure.

My main problem with that was having the big nasty first strikers be limited to 1 damage. And began with Weatherlight and there was a card called Sawtooth Ogre, which essentially does just this. I'd rather give this power to him and not call it First Strike.

3.2) First Strike X
Whenever ~ attacks or defends, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll X or higher, deal damage equal to ~'s attack to the other figure.

Without variable would be too nuts

3.x) First Strike
Whenever ~ attacks or defends, instead of rolling combat dice, deal damage equal to ~'s attack value to the other figure.
3.22) First Strike X
Whenever ~ attacks or defends, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll X or higher, instead of rolling combat dice, deal damage equal to ~'s attack value to the other figure.

Your middle answer is super neat and I might use it for some other power as it doesn't match the tempo of the original first strike.

I've also thought of a kind of initiative bonus, but meh there are too many things lost with that.

Old September 19th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I remember finding a First Strike power somewhere. It went like this:
"Whenever X attacks a figure, if you roll Crossed Weapons symbols greater than or equal to the defending figure's life total, the defending figure cannot roll defense dice, and receives a wound for every die."
Very Maul-like. As for double strike, I'd use this:
"Whenever X attacks a figure for the first time each turn, X must attack that figure again, if able."
I like the concept of the 'Strikes and would definitely play around with them.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I'd take a riff on the Punisher from C3G:

FIRST STRIKE
When attacking with this figure, for each skull rolled, the defending figure subtracts 1 from its defense.

This gives you an advantage on the attack, but not an unstoppable one. In Magic, if you're a 1/2 with First Strike, it's meaningless against any figure with more than 2 Toughness. If you're a 1 Power in AotP with First Strike, you're only going to have a marginal advantage against anyone with more than 2 Toughness. I think they'll scale similarly as well, and it successfully captures the feel of "I can pierce your defenses by attacking skillfully."
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post

FIRST STRIKE
When attacking with this figure, for each skull rolled, the defending figure subtracts 1 from its defense.

This gives you an advantage on the attack, but not an unstoppable one. In Magic, if you're a 1/2 with First Strike, it's meaningless against any figure with more than 2 Toughness. If you're a 1 Power in AotP with First Strike, you're only going to have a marginal advantage against anyone with more than 2 Toughness. I think they'll scale similarly as well, and it successfully captures the feel of "I can pierce your defenses by attacking skillfully."
I was thinking along the same lines.
I do think it should work on defense though.

Old September 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post

FIRST STRIKE

I was thinking along the same lines.
I do think it should work on defense though.
FIRST STRIKE
When attacking with this figure, for each skull rolled, the defending figure subtracts 1 from its defense. When defending with this figure, for each skull rolled by the attacking figure, roll one additional defence die.

A combined riff of, as Johnny said, Punisher for attack, and She Hulk/Hulkbuster for defence.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I would accept @Lazy Orang 's mod of @johnny139 's above. But also, you could make engagement strike more powerful:
FIRST STRIKE
When an opponent’s small or medium figure move into engagement with a [figure] or if [figure] moves into engagement with an opponent's small or medium figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 15 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives a wound.

Alternate:
FIRST STRIKE
When an opponent’s small or medium figure move into engagement with a [figure] or if [figure] moves into engagement with an opponent's small or medium figure, roll one attack die. If you roll a skull, the opponent’s figure (cannot roll defense dice and receives a wound) OR (receives one unblockable hit).

P.S. I like these "How with YOU do it?" threads. Makes it one step closer to having a joint effort of Heroscape cards based of AotP cards. You should make a master thread linking all the other threads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender