Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM

ultrajoebot has disabled reputation
Anticipation

I don't know about anyone else, but when I get a chance to play a real game of Heroscape, it feels like a holiday. I can occasionally coax my wife into playing with me, but she mostly does it just to be nice and not because she actually enjoys it. That just leaves the cat, who has more fun sitting on the box and pawing at Krug than she does actually getting down to business. She also knocks down the trees and acts like it was an accident, but I totally call her on it every time.

So when I am able to devote a day to playing Heroscape with friends, it's kind of an exciting event. Part of me wishes this game was around 10 years ago so I could have played with my brothers at home every day. So you can imagine that when I woke up this morning (before my alarm went off) knowing that I'm going to take the subway over to a friend's house to play, I find myself unable to contain my excitement. I feel like the kids on the Disney World commercial who are too excited to sleep, hehe.

I've packed up my common squads and filled my belly with sugar, so I think I'm about ready to go. I've even thought of some possible army choices in my head, depending on who drafts who, and the best units to counter those choices. There will be three of us playing, so I'm not sure how we're going to work it out. Whatever the case, I'm sure it will be a blast.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get that excited before they're about to play Heroscape? I know it's a little silly, since I'm supposedly a grown up and I have a full-time office job, and I should probably be spending my weekends golfing or hosting barbecues in my backyard, but whatever. I don't own any polo shirts and I don't want to. If anyone else is in the same boat as me, having no one in their househould with which they can play Heroscape, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Well, I've got to get going now. Hooray for Heroscape!
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Ditto. Why else would Heroscapers get up this early on a Sunday?
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Re: Anticipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrajoebot
I don't know about anyone else, but when I get a chance to play a real game of Heroscape, it feels like a holiday. I can occasionally coax my wife into playing with me, but she mostly does it just to be nice and not because she actually enjoys it. That just leaves the cat, who has more fun sitting on the box and pawing at Krug than she does actually getting down to business. She also knocks down the trees and acts like it was an accident, but I totally call her on it every time.

So when I am able to devote a day to playing Heroscape with friends, it's kind of an exciting event. Part of me wishes this game was around 10 years ago so I could have played with my brothers at home every day. So you can imagine that when I woke up this morning (before my alarm went off) knowing that I'm going to take the subway over to a friend's house to play, I find myself unable to contain my excitement. I feel like the kids on the Disney World commercial who are too excited to sleep, hehe.

I've packed up my common squads and filled my belly with sugar, so I think I'm about ready to go. I've even thought of some possible army choices in my head, depending on who drafts who, and the best units to counter those choices. There will be three of us playing, so I'm not sure how we're going to work it out. Whatever the case, I'm sure it will be a blast.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get that excited before they're about to play Heroscape? I know it's a little silly, since I'm supposedly a grown up and I have a full-time office job, and I should probably be spending my weekends golfing or hosting barbecues in my backyard, but whatever. I don't own any polo shirts and I don't want to. If anyone else is in the same boat as me, having no one in their househould with which they can play Heroscape, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Well, I've got to get going now. Hooray for Heroscape!
I don't exactly get giddy like a kid going to Disney, but I do put my game face on a week in advance. I particularly like to make an army/armies with units that are new to me. I spend hours writing strategies in my notebook, and now reviewing this site. The next time I do battle, I will present a battle report. It should be some time this week, and I will be playing a 1000 point Utgar Army v. a 600 point Ullar/Jandar army and a 600 point Einar/Vydar army. I figured that this would give me a huge enough advantage so that the cousin of mine who has not played will like the game. Also, he would be teamed up with my other cousin who is experienced in the art of Heroscape. After that, I might let them try drafting their own army and play a quicker 500 point game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get that excited before they're about to play Heroscape?
Every single time, and I play a couple of times a week.
Quote:
If anyone else is in the same boat as me, having no one in their househould with which they can play Heroscape, you probably know what I'm talking about.
Same boat not required. In my experience, the feeling doesn't fade even with frequent game play.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I get a chance to play a real game of Heroscape, it feels like a holiday
Quote:
Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get that excited before they're about to play Heroscape?
During the crazy workweek, just about Wednesday or Thursday, when I've had my overflowing cupful of job and r/l running around, I start fiendin' for the game, and it's the one, non-family component of my weekend that I really look forward too and eases my mind.

And I go to bed after each night's session thankful I found a buddy who is just as fanatical to play, lives very close to me ( I never have to haul my stuff anywhere), an exceptionally good strategist, and can join me 2-3 times a month, playing from 7:30-Midnight.

Quote:
Anyway, my question is, does anyone else get that excited before they're about to play Heroscape? I know it's a little silly, since I'm supposedly a grown up and I have a full-time office job, and I should probably be spending my weekends golfing or hosting barbecues in my backyard, but whatever. I don't own any polo shirts and I don't want to.
My buddy was joking with me the other night. He told me he had said to his wife he was heading over to my place to play with my toys.
He also got a chuckle from his spouse when she realized he knew where the toy section was in the Targets or WalMarts they visit. Ha ha.

I know some acquaintances who play a weekly poker night and I wonder if I could ever enjoy doing that. Then I think of moving the cool little figures about on the board and the nail-biting, fantastically fun battles that come down to two figures and the luck of the dice and I know where my weekend game passions lie.

Quote:
I can occasionally coax my wife into playing with me, but she mostly does it just to be nice and not because she actually enjoys it.
Mine too.

Quote:
Hooray for Heroscape!
Hooray for Heroscape.
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
Ditto. Why else would Heroscapers get up this early on a Sunday?
It's just an insomnia

I think of it almost as a holiday, however that may be the extreme of it. I don't get to play very often anymore with somebody that's worthy. I see what you mean...

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I get to play with my brother like once a week, maybe two. So far he has beaten me the last 5 games in a row so I enjoy the fight.

I enjoy playing with my girls, since they love the game, but a 5y/o and 7y/o they just want to bounce the units all over the place, and sword fight them. Even with dice rolling trays I find my self searching for dice under the table more then rolling them.

But since they want to play, who am I to discourage them? 100 point army fights with my girls take longer then 600 point armies with my brother.

Would love to do a 1000 point army fight some day but will have to do it in two sessions.

My wife plays with me on a blue moon just to get me to promise to do the dishes for a week. If she can beat me Ill do them for 2.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I can occasionally coax my wife into playing with me, but she mostly does it just to be nice and not because she actually enjoys it.
Sorry

Quote:
That just leaves the cat, who has more fun sitting on the box and pawing at Krug than she does actually getting down to business. She also knocks down the trees and acts like it was an accident, but I totally call her on it every time.
We decided a while back that the cat was worth about 500 pts for sheer destructive potential. Its hard to get her to pick a team though. Luckily most of the time, she just takes up residence on the Heroscape box.

I definitely know what you mean, though. I don't have the wife or the kids yet, so I only have one person I ever get to Scape with. My general outlook on life goes very "lollipops and rainbows" when I know I'm headed across town that evening. Sometimes I worry about myself. Then I just come here for a thorough reaffirmation of the wonderfulness of the addiction and everything's cool again.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes, I do. Without the excitement and anticipation to play Heroscape, why do you think people here spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on the game?

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
Quote:
Yes, I do. Without the excitement and anticipation to play Heroscape, why do you think people here spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on the games?
Its true. I looked for a "preaching to the choir" emoticon, but the best I could do was "praying to the drunk guys" so, um, here you go, I guess:

Old November 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
Quote:
Yes, I do. Without the excitement and anticipation to play Heroscape, why do you think people here spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on the games?
I would say there is a sizeable population here who own nearly every component of the game, but have very little opportunities to enjoy playing it.

The excitement ultrjoebot is expressing is the sheer fact that he gets to play the game he's spent his money on with somebody who enjoys it just as much as himself:

Quote:
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I would say there is a sizeable population here who own nearly every component of the game, but have very little opportunities to enjoy playing it.
Gee, there are people like that?

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion