Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
How to scale Statistics in C3G.

Reserved for Final post after a general consensus is reached.

I will edit this first post to reflect the final verdict on how to scale designs statistics.

I'd like to limit discussion here to finding a way to quantify the statistic numbers for designs.

These include:

Size
Height
Life
Movement
Range
Attack
Defense

I know that at the moment there is no official scale to reference when attempting to place numbers on cards. Many statistics will not be entirely scalable. Though that should not stop us form having a rough estimate to help players design their own customs to be used with C3G; or for new Members of C3G so that their public designs are comparable with current designs.

Here is an example of what I am trying to develop here.

Value X = Range
Value 1 = 0-5 Feet.
Value 2 = 5-10 Feet.
Value 3 = 10-15 Feet.
Value 4 = 15-20 Feet.
Value 5 = 20-25 Feet.
Value 6 = 25-30 Feet.
Value 7 = 30-35 Feet.
Value 8 = 35-40 Feet.
Value 9 = 40-45 Feet.
Value 10 = 45-50 Feet.

I know that many of you are thinking... "there is no way these numbers correspond to the spaces representative distances". I can assure you, I feel the same way. And yet; we should have a rough estimate of what each space on the battlefield represents.

This is to prevent confusion when comparing statistics.
Movement compared to Range
For example movement should be a reflection of range. The only significant difference between the two is that one involves the movement of a figure given a fixed amount of time and the other involves the limited distance in which a figure can affect in one action.

If a figure is said to have a movement of 4 we know that given the quantified numbers above for range... that figure can move 15-20 feet in their movement phase. Well now we have something else to quantify. How long is the movement phase? To keep it simple I recommend we go with 6 seconds. 6 seconds has been the standard turn time for as long as I can remember spanning many table top games. So when we break this down we end up with 2.5 to 3.3 feet per second of travel. Well lets be honest. That is bs.

So clearly our original scale for range is off; but by how much? We know from looking at the terrain that lakes are not only 30 feet wide, we know mountains are wider than 40 feet. So how are we ever to come to a consensus.

I propose we work on a sliding scale.

Here is an example.

Value X = Range
Value 1 = 0-5 Feet.
Value 2 = 5-11 Feet.
Value 3 = 11-18 Feet.
Value 4 = 18-26 Feet.
Value 5 = 26-35 Feet.
Value 6 = 35-45 Feet.
Value 7 = 45-56 Feet.
Value 8 = 56-68 Feet.
Value 9 = 68-81 Feet.
Value 10 = 81-95 Feet.

For each additional range beyond the first I've simply added an additional foot. This represents two things.

One:
Scale in Heroscape changes the closer you are to your character. This is why our figures are so large and yet mountains are so small. Plus we cannot afford to have such large battlefields if they really were to scale. Otherwise our figures would need to be the size of a fly to be in scale. Even then we would need a basketball court to play with mountains.

Two:
Figures pick up speed. If you only have 6 seconds to move it stands to reason that the first second will be your slowest, right?

Lets recheck our numbers with the given changes.

Quote:
If a figure is said to have a movement of 4 we know that given the quantified numbers above for range... that figure can move 15-20 feet in their movement phase.
Now, however we know that our figures have changed. 15-20 feet has become 18-26 feet. This changes our 2.5 to 3.3 fps to 4.3 fps.

If we are still not sure if this lines up properly with how movement and range should work lets look at this a different way. Let us start with what we know to be true and work backward.

The fastest human reaches top speed at 50 meters. Usually around the 5 second mark. Using this information we know that the fastest humans would reach about 60 meters in 6 seconds. So if we compare this to our most recent scale.

Quote:
Value X = Range
Value 1 = 0-5 Feet.
Value 2 = 5-11 Feet.
Value 3 = 11-18 Feet.
Value 4 = 18-26 Feet.
Value 5 = 26-35 Feet.
Value 6 = 35-45 Feet.
Value 7 = 45-56 Feet.
Value 8 = 56-68 Feet.
Value 9 = 68-81 Feet.
Value 10 = 81-95 Feet.
We can see how the fastest Human would be stated for movement. Which puts them at a Move number of 8. We know from precedence that this is not where it should be. Batman who represents a design that is just about as fit as a human can be has a Move number of 6. This tells us that our scale is still off. So given that we know what our scale should be let's just slide the sliding scale.

Value 1 = 0-5 Feet.
Value 2 = 5-12 Feet.
Value 3 = 12-21 Feet.
Value 4 = 21-32 Feet.
Value 5 = 32-45 Feet.
Value 6 = 45-60 Feet.
Value 7 = 60-77 Feet.
Value 8 = 77-96 Feet.
Value 9 = 96-117 Feet.
Value 10 = 117-140 Feet.

Here I have changed the scale so that it starts with 5 feet between range 1 and 2 and increases by 2 feet more each increment. This scale places the goal of 150 feet by value of 6 still far from reach. It is time to entertain the possibility that the scale must be more complex.

Value 1 = 0-5 Feet. +5 feet
Value 2 = 5-14 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 9
Value 3 = 14-28 Feet. +X*1.7 feet or 14
Value 4 = 28-53 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 25
Value 5 = 53-95 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 42
Value 6 = 95-166 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 71
Value 7 = 166-287 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 121
Value 8 = 287-492 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 205
Value 9 = 492-841 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 349
Value 10 = 841-1434 Feet. + X*1.7 feet or 593
Where X equals the previous increment.

Now we have a more reasonable number representing our Value 6 slot. Batman just like an Olympic runner, could move in 6 seconds between 95 and 166 feet.

So we could use this scale, assuming that it is scaled right; to show that Superman with his move of 10 could be moving between 841-1434 feet in his 6 seconds. Could Superman do that? Of course. Does that mean our scale is spot on... No. The goal here is to either use a very rigid formula to support a scale. Or to just make one up. In either case once we develop a scale for one statistic it should be easier to guarantee that the project never slowly moves away from the scale represented by the first few designs.

Imagine not having a reference point when making designs. If we only ever use the previous designs but have no scale we will eventually end up swinging wildly away from a standard.

Plus it is fun to know that if Green Arrow has a range of 10, he can hit a figure around 1200 feet away. This kind of scale is important to comparing units with differing sets of abilities and ensuring that one does not overpower another with less impressive abilities.

The scale for other numbers like Attack and Defense will be even easier to determine. It will simply require that we set precedent similar to any website with power ratings. That way we know for instance that if Thor has a defense of 8 not much should be higher than that.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy