Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old September 11th, 2019, 06:55 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Leyline Phantoms) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
NAY for now. We still don't have a name for this design yet (Velnesh Assassins is my personal pick with a matching race, but I can settle for anything), and I think that the idea of calling the first power "Shift" and the reactionary teleport "Blink" works better than our current Blink and Phase Shift as the power names. Both are easy fixes, but I think we should address them now rather than later.
Valid concerns. In fact, I need to change my vote. The system works!

Also swapped the power names, because I think that's what I had suggested but not updated in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Hmm, some kind of a scientific experiment name could be interesting and distinct. Something like Subject V12 is mysterious but implies a lot about their background in conjunction with the Experiments class.
I like it. Or even "V-12 [or whatever Top Secret Experiment Code] Escapees".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
My personal view of them was as some form of naturally-occuring apex predator that hunts using its abilities - perhaps evolved to an environment or prey that itself phases realities. Not feral, intelligent enough to understand commands and their goals.
I don't disagree with that, but I think a name referencing the experimentation they underwent distinguishing them from the "natural" versions (even though they will never exist in 'scape) is the way to go here.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:24 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I think that we should still shorten "Phase Shift" to just "Shift" to match Blink. They sound like they go together more to me when both are just one word.

The scientific/experimental name is really growing on me. It feels weird and different from other units, which is a good thing for some spooky aliens. V-12 Escapees is fine to me, although I do think it'd be neat to avoid putting escapee in their name to leave open the interpretation that this is their intended purpose, and something sent them here.
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:10 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

If we’re going the “escaped experiments” route, which is not my preference but understandable, V-12 sounds too close to the naming conventions used for Vydar soulborgs.

Subject Delta
Project Vanega Apexes
Code Blue Entities
Type Blue

Project 4300-Alpha Rejects

This is more random science-jargon sounding names. A question - are these experiments from Earth? The same far-future as Tetsuo?
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:19 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I like "Project Something Something".

"Velnesh" was kind of a cool species name. Do we want to go with that and something like "Project Velnesh Alphas"?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 15th, 2019, 11:53 AM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Yeah, that sounds interesting.
Old September 15th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Project Velnesh Alphas is fine with me.
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:15 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

How about just Project Velnesh? It rolls off the tongue better imo.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:51 PM

Project Velnesh would be the name of the project that created them - "Alphas" states that these creatures are the result of said project.
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:16 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Major X18 could have been a suped up Blastatron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Project Velnesh would be the name of the project that created them - "Alphas" states that these creatures are the result of said project.
For me, that implies that we can realistically create Beta versions and such knowing full well we can’t. Classic HS got away with it because they had the capacity to (pre-cancellation of course).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 21st, 2019, 09:10 PM

I think it's Alphas in the sense of a predator pack's alphas, or leaders. But we may choose a different word.

Simply "Project Velnesh" comes across as just describing the project itself.
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:40 PM

I don't think that adding Alpha to the name implies that Beta versions would also be in the pipeline at all. Sure, classic HeroScape eventually added things like Major Q10 and Deathwalker 7000 or 8000, but we also have units like Major X17. If someone years down the line gets particularly inspired by this set, they could always go with a new alien breed for their own custom if they feel like we're missing another experiment squad, but right now, it doesn't feel like a noticeable gap to me.

I agree with Pumpkin_King that leaving it at just "Project Velnesh" sounds like a name for the entire experiment rather than just these guys. If we want to keep it to just <ADJECTIVE> Velnesh, then I think that Subject would be a better adjective over Project here.
Old September 24th, 2019, 12:10 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I would have stuck with the Xenomorph/Predator route of making these things aliens rather than science experiments. The mechanics remind me a lot of the monster from season 1 of Stranger Things.

With that said, I'm not opposed to the "Escaped Science Experiments" angle, especially if that makes it easier to tie them into a cyberpunk future.

I kind of like the idea of just calling them Project Velnesh. It is not unheard of for the output of a project to have the same name as the project itself.

EDIT: Also, I'm really glad that you didn't seriously consider a species name that sounds very much like the brand name that is associated with scanning paper documents. That would have been strange.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; September 24th, 2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Xerox, SMH

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs