Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old April 15th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Hey all. I have a design I'm working on that I'm thinking of submitting to SoV. Before I do, though, I wonder what you think of this design:
NAME = POTATO

UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 0
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 0
DEFENSE = 0
POINTS = 5

no powers
Is this design too strong for a SoV submission? Why or why not?

(This question is not as simple as it may appear to some.)
I see any blatant problems with it, but I doubt United Fanscape Review would approve of a unit with no powers.
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:36 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Hey all. I have a design I'm working on that I'm thinking of submitting to SoV. Before I do, though, I wonder what you think of this design:
NAME = POTATO

UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 0
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 0
DEFENSE = 0
POINTS = 5

no powers

I see any blatant problems with it, but I doubt United Fanscape Review would approve of a unit with no powers.
Heh, UFR are a prickly bunch, aren't they. (Although there has been discussion of a no-power unit in the past.)

"Potato" is, of course, a thought experiment. I would not submit that.

However, I do think it's inappropriate for the SoV on its merit. The reason is that it would be auto-include in any army that was 5 points short and had an available slot. Yes, all it can do is take a Wannok wound or act as a traffic cone at the front of your startzone. But bizarrely enough, I still think it's too good. Simply put, any 5 pointer that doesn't have a significant downside should never be approved.
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

A potato wouldn't fit in a space. You should make it a french fry instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:45 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
A potato wouldn't fit in a space. You should make it a french fry instead.
I was thinking something like a small red potato as opposed to a Russet. Clearly I should have posted a pic.
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:46 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

A small red could roll around and wouldn't have a Move of zero.

How about a mashed potato?

Quote:
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:54 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Small Red Potato, 1/0/0/0/0

ROLL
Small Red Potato may never move normally onto a higher space. When Small Red Potato moves onto a lower space, it does not have to count that space as part of its movement.
Old April 15th, 2020, 03:00 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
NAME = POTATO

UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 0
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 0
DEFENSE = 0
POINTS = 5

no powers

Heh, UFR are a prickly bunch, aren't they. (Although there has been discussion of a no-power unit in the past.)

"Potato" is, of course, a thought experiment. I would not submit that.

However, I do think it's inappropriate for the SoV on its merit. The reason is that it would be auto-include in any army that was 5 points short and had an available slot. Yes, all it can do is take a Wannok wound or act as a traffic cone at the front of your startzone. But bizarrely enough, I still think it's too good. Simply put, any 5 pointer that doesn't have a significant downside should never be approved.
Does this mean Isamu should have never been created? I think he fits the same criteria of an auto include in an army that’s 10 points short. Though you could argue some armies are better with Otanashi but I don’t know if that’s true. Even if it was it would just mean we need to induct 2 5 point potatoes just so 1 isn’t an auto include.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old April 15th, 2020, 03:02 PM

That reminds me. There might be a ninja hiding behind that potato.

Quote:
Old April 15th, 2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Does this mean Isamu should have never been created? I think he fits the same criteria of an auto include in an army that’s 10 points short.
Isamu definitely never should have been created. He's easily the most broken figure in the game, we just don't notice it because a figure that's underpriced by a factor of 4 is less obvious when he costs 10 points.

I also think we should be modest in our designs in general. If any VC design is an auto-include in a wide range of armies I think that's a problem, even if Raelin and Isamu do that in classic.

Quote:
Though you could argue some armies are better with Otanashi but I don’t know if that’s true.
Yeah, not true. Otonashi is a reasonable 10 point filler and can deserve on occasional non-desperation OM in some armies but she's basically fine. She doesn't break the points per wound curve like Marcu or consistently overperform her points like Isamu.

Potato breaks the points per wound curve like Marcu does, and does as much in most games as Otonashi does, for half the cost. I know it's strange to think of such a design as too strong, but it's my honest opinion.

Last edited by dok; April 15th, 2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old April 15th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Me thinks some people in quarantine are losing it.

Sure Isamu is severely undercosted but he rarely wins the day, yes he can be very annoying and such. That said I think Potato needs at least a 1 DEF stat as potatoes uncooked are rather hard.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old April 15th, 2020, 03:26 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Does this mean Isamu should have never been created? I think he fits the same criteria of an auto include in an army that’s 10 points short.
Isamu definitely never should have been created. He's easily the most broken figure in the game, we just don't notice it because a figure that's underpriced by a factor of 4 is less obvious when he costs 10 points.

Quote:
Though you could argue some armies are better with Otanashi but I don’t know if that’s true.
Yeah, not true. Otonashi is a reasonable 10 point filler and can deserve on occasional non-desperation OM in some armies but she's basically fine. She doesn't break the points per wound curve like Marcu or consistently overperform her points like Isamu.
Otanashi doesn’t have any sort of downside though like you’re suggesting with the potato. If not for Isamu she would be the same auto fill, just less underpriced. At one point the Swog Rider(or Dumutef? I don’t actually know which one came first.) was also an auto fill without a downside, just at the 25 point mark.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old April 15th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Otanashi doesn’t have any sort of downside though like you’re suggesting with the potato. If not for Isamu she would be the same auto fill, just less underpriced. At one point the Swog Rider(or Dumutef? I don’t actually know which one came first.) was also an auto fill without a downside, just at the 25 point mark.
It's not really the same because, again, Otonashi doesn't break the points/wound curve. There are multiple squad figures that match 10 points per wound, so anything that matches that isn't inherently a problem. It's only a problem if it's way too good to be worth 10 points, like Isamu.

Marcu does break the curve, and is also really really really good (a bit too good for my taste, as far as where I would aim with a VC design). However he does come with a significant downside, and anyway the "auto-include problem" becomes less and less significant the higher the point total gets. You find yourself 10 points under a lot more often than 20, after all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards