Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 4th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Boot Camp of Valhalla: Kobolds of Idona Keep (Playtestin

Sent in my bio! Hmm, now to work on some play testing. BTW, the card looks great Daniel Loche!

FWIW

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
First post is updated with playtesting information! I posted a link to the C3V Playtesting stuff as I think it's a good standard to work from. Just post any stuff here, though, for discussion.
I'll try and run a game tonight when my internet is fast, I need to turn in my C3G stuff though.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

I need to get some other playtesting out of the way first, but I'll get to some games with these guys soon.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
I need to get some other playtesting out of the way first, but I'll get to some games with these guys soon.
Likewise. I'm looking forward to trying these guys.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I finally got a play test done with these guys. I'd been playing around with them before, but never seriously, but today I had time and slipped in a play test. So here goes!

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Kobolds of Idona Keep

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects.
Pass The powers on the card are great, following the basic background we've given them. I was a bit hesitant about Mob Attack, but in play it is the most thematic ability they have. Its great fun to watch these guys surround people and whittle them down.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play?
Pass While not extremely fun to play, I get as much from playing these guys as I do from playing any other unit, so that's good.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying?
Fail, mostly These guys are really annoying. Nine little guys moving and attacking, with Mob Attack, takes a long time, and a good part of the time accomplishes very little for either player. I wouldn't have a problem playing against them however, as they are no more annoying than rats or zombies or marro drones.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable?
Pass Scale was not used at all, but they stayed at the flat part of the map. I'm guessing that's good, because swarm units are supposed to sweep an area, not tactically climb hills and do stuff up there.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game?
A definite pass Do I take a turn with my powerful but wounded master? Do I swarm the Minions with the kobolds? Do I tactically reposition a unit instead of attacking? These are all questions you get when using these guys. Though not hard to use, they require a lots of thinking to use to optimum power. They add new strategies and counter a strategies, as they are the only units with the unique ability set these kobolds have.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately?
Pass They have no bonding, and Warriors devotion has no problems. However, when new warriors are produced in the future, these guys may create some synergy problems.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak?
Pass The only unit could possibly break these guys is Raelin (warrior's devotion gives a new reason to use the most used unit in the game) and Raelin makes a horrible master, so its not a problem.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? Each power should define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and what conditions (if any) apply.
Pass A figure that gives these guys disengage would really break them, but there isn't one, so its not a problem.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting?
Half-Pass/Half-Fail You see, it depends on how many of these guys you have. If you just have a few squads, then they are a horrible draft option, as you opponent can draft them to keep you from reaching the full potential of Warrior's Devotion. They also have many counter-drafts which will slaughter them. However, they could be a useful counter-draft against some units.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game?
Pass

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary.
Pass These guys performed adequately and admirably against quite a good army. They did their job, but I didn't do mine by drafting a ranged unit to kill the 4th Mass. I think a slight point lowering is also in order.

Yes Soundwarp, I admit defeat.

Map: Turret Rocks
Units: Army 1: Jotun, Raelin, Kobolds of Idona Keep (KIK) x4, Marcu (525 pts.) VS Army 2: Sir Denrick, Finn, KoW x2, 4th Mass x3 (530 pts.)

Spoiler Alert!

So to recap, as is, the Kobolds need a slight decrease of points. I, of course, only play tested against one army, so other finding my show differently. But still, looking good!

Edit: if your wondering why I didn't say anything about Marcu, its because I thought it was pretty self a explanatory. As usual, trying to rely on any filler endgame unit besides Isamu isn't a good idea when facing A units.

Last edited by Maklar the Silver Prince; February 8th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Nice game Maklar.

I disagree about dropping their cost though. Not only are the Kobolds naturally not going to preform well against range, they should certainly lose against "A" units. VC has always strove to balance units in the "B" range (based on the power rankings), so if the Kobolds were consistently beating an "A" army, something would be wrong.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Excellent point V. Great test Maklar!
I am not encouraged by the annoying label though.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I really like the Kobolds, nice job with them. They’re tough to play; you want your Master to be wounded, yet not out in the open to be destroyed. At the same time you want to benefit from the Master’s aura (or whatever special ability he has). Add that to a tricky to activate Mob Attack and you have a really tough unit to play to the best of their ability. The potential is there, however, so despite losing all three of my games I would not suggest a drop in points. I made a few key mistakes in my first two games.

I like that Jotun army. I think you need a few more Kobolds, though: these things drop like flies. I look forward to more playtests. I think Jotun, Shurrak, Concan and the Raelins still have a lot of potential to do well.

Johnny, I know I haven't given you time to do this before I suggest it, but can you link the playtests in the OP?

Boot Camp of Valhalla Playtest Form

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Kobolds of Idona Keep

THEME TEST: Pass.

FUN TEST: Pass. The Kobolds bring a new strategy to ‘scape, similar to the MacDirks but playing entirely differently. Playing against Kobolds is similar to playing against MacDirks, though.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Pass. Kobolds are easy to kill.

USAGE TEST: Pass. Mob Attack is useful, though really hard to set up without wounds on your Master.

STRATEGY TEST: Pass. These guys are tough to play. I didn’t really “get” them for my first two games. They make you think.

BONDING TEST: Pass. No bonding.

SYNERGIES TEST: Pass. Concan finally gets to be useful!

POWER CHECK: Pass.

DRAFTING TEST: Pass. I wouldn’t lower them to 45, and I’d draft them at 50.

MIRROR TEST: Pass. A mirror match with different Masters on each side would be really neat.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary.
I underestimated how quickly the Varks would reach the Kobolds’ start zone, and therefore never had a chance to perch Raelin somewhere useful. Also, the Wolves never had an incentive to attack Ulfrid; because of these two things I think Raelin/Taelord would be a better master, as then I’d only have one other card to juggle OMs with.

Map: Platypus (no glyphs)
Units: Army 1: Kobolds x6, Ulfrid, Raelin RotV (480) VS Army 2: All 4 Varkaanan unique squads, Martial La Hire (480)
Spoiler Alert!

ARMY TEST 2

I expected this to be a loss for the Kobolds, but not this bad of a loss. Perhaps I would done better had I kept Taelord in my start zone surrounded by Kobolds. Anyway, this proves to me that Taelord is not the reckoning force I theoryscaped, though with better luck maybe I would have done better. Kobolds are frail; they are a lot like MacDirks in more ways than one.

Map: Fossil (Wannok & Valda)
Units: Army 1: Kobolds x6, Taelord (480) VS Army 2: Wolves of Badru x4, Morgoloth, Marcu Esenwein (480)
Spoiler Alert!

ARMY TEST 3

The Kobolds performed pretty well here; Concan was a solid choice of Master. I think I’m using the Kobolds against the wrong type of army, though. Kobolds are probably going to do well against range due to the Kobolds’ low stats. Other melee squads simply have better stats than the Kobolds do.

Map: Hotstepper (Ulinava on Lava Field)
Units: Army 1: Concan, Kobolds x6 (380) VS Army 2: Romans x4, Marcus, Ne-Gok-Sa (390)
Spoiler Alert!
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Cool tests - they definitely seem like a "high end" unit that require good positioning, strategy, and luck to pull off a win. I think putting them at 45 might help push them over that hill from "good only in theory" to "playable," assuming that our future results are along these same lines. What I'm seeing right now is "in the right match-ups they'd be good" and "you need to invest pretty much all of your points into them," which is a rough combination.

Glad to see Concan felt good with them, though! Always nice to see old figures get fresh attention, even if it's not the ideal combination.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Nice game Maklar.

I disagree about dropping their cost though. Not only are the Kobolds naturally not going to preform well against range, they should certainly lose against "A" units. VC has always strove to balance units in the "B" range (based on the power rankings), so if the Kobolds were consistently beating an "A" army, something would be wrong.
While I agree with the principal of keeping things in the "B" range, I wouldn't write off a price decrease just yet (though I'm not convinced they need one yet either). In Maklar's test Jotun managed to get to 6 wounds without dieing, that is the absolute best case scenario for the Kobolds and something that will rarely happen against most armies. Yet they still lost relatively easily from the sound of it.

On an unrelated note, it might be worth testing a Kobold army with a Jandar Warrior and Isamu. By far the most successful game I ever had with the Macdirks was the time I put my first OM on Isamu and got a perfect 5 attack against my own Alistar's 0 defense. The Macdirks were able to rock the 7 attack from the get go, and actually managed to win a game. Now that strategy is full of problems, but it might be worth it with the Kobolds. The Kobolds' biggest issue is getting some wounds on their Warrior before they've taken too many casualties, most intelligent opponents won't bother going after the Warrior while the Kobolds are still around unless they've got a good chance of killing them out right.

Also, I thought they were going to be Sentinels not Protectors?

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Quote:
Nice game Maklar.

While I agree with the principal of keeping things in the "B" range, I wouldn't write off a price decrease just yet (though I'm not convinced they need one yet either). In Maklar's test Jotun managed to get to 6 wounds without dieing, that is the absolute best case scenario for the Kobolds and something that will rarely happen against most armies. Yet they still lost relatively easily from the sound of it.

On an unrelated note, it might be worth testing a Kobold army with a Jandar Warrior and Isamu. By far the most successful game I ever had with the Macdirks was the time I put my first OM on Isamu and got a perfect 5 attack against my own Alistar's 0 defense. The Macdirks were able to rock the 7 attack from the get go, and actually managed to win a game. Now that strategy is full of problems, but it might be worth it with the Kobolds. The Kobolds' biggest issue is getting some wounds on their Warrior before they've taken too many casualties, most intelligent opponents won't bother going after the Warrior while the Kobolds are still around unless they've got a good chance of killing them out right.

Also, I thought they were going to be Sentinels not Protectors?
Yes, that needs to be fixed (Unless there was a decision to make them Protectors at some time).

Drafting Raelin with these guys really helped them out even though she wasn't their master. They're survivability jumped up quite a bit, as 4 defense is just about the magical amount. The knights had trouble piercing it. Jotun's increased 6 defense needs to be accounted in her worth also. However, swapping Raelin for another squad of kobolds and a cheap ranged hero/squad might be worth it. I'll have to try it out.

Old February 8th, 2014, 11:51 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
[
Drafting Raelin with these guys really helped them out even though she wasn't their master.
Well yeah, there's a reason she's called 'Bacon' by some, she makes everything better.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards