Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

Game*Player is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Experts Needed, Reviewing My Final Customs.

I've been visiting heroscape for about a year and a half now, but haven't actually created an account til about 5 minuets ago. Why do I need an account now apart from being able to give my feedback and thanks to all the cool custom maps and characters? Well I've finally decided I need a set of my own custom hero's. Mainly I want some equal time against my Marvel hero's from The Conflict begins. I've spent about a week putting this together, mostly because I love procrastination, and heres my first real draft.

Now my basic approach at this is that I wanted equal time to Marvelscape, not just a bunch of DC hero's and Villians. I set the point values for 10 characters to match the one's from the marvel set (give or take).

What I need from all you more experienced and battle-hardened veterans is some feedback, and possible some playtesting if you have the time since I've only playtested them twice. They seem Ok but I really want to be sure.

The Hero's I've picked are: The Flash, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman
And the Villians are: Catwoman, The Joker, Darkseid, Sinestro, and Lex Luthor (In his battlesuit but since I'm only making one he's just "Lex Luthor")

Feel free to help me with wording, critisize abilities and stats and offer different Hero's and Villians you think I should have instead since I only have the time (and frankly funds) to make the 10.

Hero's will be in the next post, villians to follow.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM

Re: Experts Needed, Reviewing My Final Customs.

HEROES! (Under Construction)

THE FLASH
Spoiler Alert!

BATMAN
Spoiler Alert!

SUPERMAN
Spoiler Alert!

GREEN LANTERN
Spoiler Alert!

WONDER WOMAN
Spoiler Alert!

I'm worried they may have too many abilities but all in all I'm happy with this first draft, Wonder Woman has 245 points because I switched the Iron Man/Dc. Doom values around cause I didn't think Luthor needed that extra 5.

Last edited by Game*Player; August 8th, 2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Put the hero titles inside the Spoilers :P fixed now.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM

VILLAINS!

CATWOMAN
Spoiler Alert!

THE JOKER
Spoiler Alert!

DARKSEID
Spoiler Alert!

SINESTRO
Spoiler Alert!

LEX LUTHOR
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

That's it, Thanks for the Help!
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Wow.... not a one. Not a critique, nor tip, nor tid-bit. Ouch.
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Be patient, I'm sure some comments will come....

... I don't know if matching up point totals to the Marvel set is the easiest thing to accomplish. It seems that you've just assigned point values by power scale without actually either costing after reviewing the powers, or humbling the powers to match your desired power range.

For example, on Superman you have a Defense of 8 with a special power that allows him to double his Shields. I don't know if you realize how powerful that is. Then add in Flying and a ranged Special and you've got a figure that exceeds 400 points.

On a smaller note, squeezing in the 20-sided die bonus of 1 seems a bit unneeded. It will come down to a waste of text space for a 5 % change in odds. It won't really factor often enough to bother making the power any more complicated in my opinion.

But it's always good to see new blood dripping in the pool. Keep at it, get your ideas on cards (we're all pretty visual around here) and then I'm sure you'll get you're feedback.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

I have to agree with Matt here. Your cards seem undercosted. And as far as theme, do you realize that Catwoman stands a better chance to dodge Green Lantern's attack than Flash does? Does that seem thematic to you? Honestly, way better than my first efforts and I lurked too. I think you have a really good start here, just practicality and a scale of Strongest, Fastest (Dodge chance), etc. would help, IMO.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM

See That's Great! And obvious, I don't know why I included that, it makes him way overpowered and I didn't think of it because I was just trying to get his near invulnerability down, but with a life of 8 and a defense of 8 he's already pretty hard to take down, thanks.

Also, yeah I probably am impatient, sorry bout that.
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

While I am still relatively new to making customs myself...looks like you've got a good start here.
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
The Flash
Life 3 Species: Human
Move 12 Type: Unique Hero
Range 1 Class: Speedster
Attack 3 Personality: Tricky
Defense 2 Size: Medium
Points 220 Height: 5

Special Power 1- Superspeed
The Flash may attack any time before, during or after his movment. Flash does not have to stop his movement when he enters a water space. Flash can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement

Special Attack 1- Triple Attack
When The Flash attacks, he may attack two additional times. These attacks do not have to be against the same figure.

Special Power 2- Too Quick to Hit
When The Flash rolls defense die against an attacking figure, one shield will block all damage. This power does not work against other speedsters.
For starters, if The Flash is using his normal attack for Triple Attack, then it's a Special Power and not a Special Attack. A Special Attack would require you to assign a Range # and an Attack # . So assuming youi are using it as a Special Power with his normal attack of 3, you shouldn't need the last sentence of that power. You would need a qualifier if he could not attack the same opponent more than once, like Cap's Shield Throw or Nilfheim's Ice Shards. But Triple Attack would be like Iron Man's Double Attack where he can attack the same or different figures without any second sentence.

For Too Quick To Hit, perhaps clean it up a little with:

When The Flash rolls defense dice against a normal attack from a non-Speedster, one shield will block all damage.

You might consider it working only vs. normal attacks, as there can be special attacks that his speed wouldn't help him against. But that's up to you and you can change it without the " a normal" to read "an attack" if you want it to work vs. all attacks.

Now another thing is that there is no way in heck he is going to be worth 220 points. With only 3 lives and a defense of 2, it is really going to be easy to kill him, especially with squads. All he has to do is whiff or roll 2 skulls and he's going to take wounds and often die. A 3 skull attack from a Stinger and him whiffing or rolling 2 skulls is going to mean that your 220 point Flash is killed by a 20 point figure and not necessarily because dice luck. There is a fair chance that with only 2 dice that you are going to not get any shields. So you might want to think about adjusting his defense/life combo.

Here's some other suggestions. Get more familiar with official wording on cards by checking out the Books of Thread by clicking on links of the units. It makes life easier to understand the official wording and what you might need to have in a power or not have in a power, as well as the proper way to word powers. If you want to use an existing "official" power, don't just change the words around to make it yours, use what's there if it applies and change or add things that are only necessary to fit your design.

Also, I wouldn't ask others to playtest for you. Most people have little enough time to test their own stuff, let alone for someone else. Here is an example of a post by Sherman Davies in his Design Thread. He does his own playtesting and posts results. He is an excellent designer, one of the best around, so maybe you can look through his thread and see how he approaches his work.

Wish I had time to offer more help, but time as at a premium and I have to head out soon. Good luck and have fun.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; August 7th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Excellent advice Hahma, and thanks for the plug.

Since you tackled Flash, I think I'll try Batman:

Special Power 1- I am the Night 15
Figures must be adjacent to Batman to attack him with a normal attack. If batman is targeted by a special attack roll the 20-sided die, if you roll a 15 or higher ignore all damage done by that attack. If Batman is on a shadow space or adjacent to an obstacle add five to that roll. Batman is never attacked when leaving engagement

This is essentially squeezing three powers into one, which is not unheard of in the customs world, but I wouldn't push it further than that. In this case the power is still brief and readable, so it works fine.

In your second sentence you wrote, "If Batman is targeted by a special attack." Since adjacent figures technically do not target their opponents, this implies that it only works against non-adjacent attacks, so if that's not how your power is supposed to work you should change it. I'd also suggest that you rearrange the text a bit to match Darrak Ambershard's card:

"If Batman is targeted (?) by a special attack, roll the 20-sided die. If Batman is on a shadow space or adjacent to an obstacle such as a ruin, add 5 to your die roll. If you roll a 15 or higher..."

Special Attack 1- Batarang Special Attack
Range 5. Attack 3
When Batman attacks with his Batarang Special Attack, he may attack one additional time.

If you want to keep Batarang the way it is, you may want to consider upping Batman's normal attack from a 4, otherwise the player will have very little incentive to ever use his normal attack.

As far as cost goes, 160 seems pretty close to the mark. He should probably cost a bit more, perhaps 170, since he's superior to Drake defensively and (arguably) offensively.
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Hahma- Thanks for the clarifications on Special Attacks and Powers, I'll fix that now, and thanks for the wording help. All "things I never knew, I never knew" (*Colors of the Wind*).

As for Too Quick to Hit, I figured that with his life and defenses that low that he needed this ability to make up for it, and any attacks his speed couldn't help against probably involves the 20-sided die instead of the regular dice. But I will give this another look over, especially because your right about 2 defense being a rather extreme low. I guess I have to move that out to at least a 3 and probably buff up his life as well, for now I'll bump them both up one each and see how that works, and I'll play around with Too Quick working against any attack or just a regular attack.

Thanks for the link, really helpful, I'll give this a long read-through too.

As for the play testing, I did say "Possibly" and "If you have the time", but your right, it's not your job to do my work for me, it's mine, and I appreciate the advise and help more than anything else. I'm currently in the prossess of moving, but once I'm settled in ('round the end of the month) I'll get to really trying these guy's out and putting all the help I've gotten to good use. Also, yeah I have read Sherman Davies thread, it was actually through his customs that I discovered Heroscapers, and that I actually decided I wanted to make some customs to begin with.

Speaking of which,

Sherman Davies!- The Man himself

I was worried for a few of my customs that I was pushing too many powers into one, but it was mainly because I didn't want to feel like I was giving them too many abilities (make's a Ton of sense, I know). Again, thanks for the phrasing help, and Thanks for the clarification help as well, I'll look into Darrak Ambershardand fix the wording on that power.

You do have several points on the Batarang, and if I up his attack I'll have to up his cost, and as I said my real goal in this is trying to make a match to the Marvel characters. I do realize this might not be the best approach, but I find it helpful because it keeps me from going out of hand with my hero's. Otherwise my Batman would probably cost more than the Hulk and Superman would be nigh unplayable.

A thought to fix this has occurred to me though. I wanted to give Batman some range, cuz he does have all those fun gadgets, so I repeated the Batarangs like many others, but maybe I could approach it more like Agent Carr. Give him a range and smaller attack and replace the Special Attack with something like "Combat Expert" If Batman is attacking an adjacent figure, add 4 dice to Batman's attack. I'll play around with it and see which I like better.

I figured 160 was doable because even though he is a superior Drake (and now possible Carr) they both cost 100 flat so, I'm going to try and stick with this and if it doesn't work I'll try to find some other way to balance things out.

Thanks Again for the Big help.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations