Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old April 15th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] UKUSHISA PRIDE (Blazing Firecats) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Quote:
If a Ukushisa Pride figure starts their move turn adjacent to a figure with Lava Resistance, add 2 to its move. When making an attack with Ukushisa Pride, add one attack die for each adjacent figure with Lava Resistance, up to a maximum of +3 for the Blazing power.
Does that sort out the weird move boost?
It does.

Not sure I'm sold on the idea, though. It doesn't offer much in terms of gameplay decisions (you'll just always keep them together), and the usual problem of unique squads that they get worse with losses is that much worse for them. It's also thematically odd that they get boosted by figures like Brunak, but not terrible.

It does "force" two gameplay mechanics we might like, though. First, they will stick together in a pack as much as possible (almost acting like a single, flexible hero in a lot of ways), and they will effectively "blaze out" quickly as soon as they take losses.
Old April 18th, 2020, 09:34 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Pti, but you guys should consider just going with First Strike.
Bumping. Was there a reason we skipped this?
Old April 18th, 2020, 09:46 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Pti, but you guys should consider just going with First Strike.
Bumping. Was there a reason we skipped this?
It's not bad, but we wanted to capture something of them being living fire thematically. It also doesn't make them play pack-like, another desired goal.
Old April 18th, 2020, 09:49 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Understandable!
Old April 19th, 2020, 10:35 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
It's not bad, but we wanted to capture something of them being living fire thematically. It also doesn't make them play pack-like, another desired goal.
Floated in the Discord for "pack-like":

NOT ZETTIAN TARGETING
When attacking, add 1 die for each time the defending figure was previously attacked this turn.

And for "living fire":

COMBINED HEAT
Add 1 Attack and Defense for each adjacent Ukushisa Pride.

Just food for thought as you rework these cats.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 19th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
COMBINED HEAT
Add 1 Attack and Defense for each adjacent Ukushisa Pride.
With this has problems like other pack powers (not all that interesting tactically and losing figures is even worse than usual), I really like the simplicity. And the theme is there with the name. Remember, the target audience is new players, so simple is especially good.
Old April 19th, 2020, 12:34 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I’d be willing to give that a try. What base values do we want to pair with it? I think I like 7 move, but not sure on attack/defense. I think 3A could be a little too good against heroes, since they’ll have the easiest time piling on three attacks of 5 on one target. I’d rather take 2A and pair it with a high defense number, 4 or maybe even 5.
Old April 19th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
I’d be willing to give that a try. What base values do we want to pair with it? I think I like 7 move, but not sure on attack/defense. I think 3A could be a little too good against heroes, since they’ll have the easiest time piling on three attacks of 5 on one target. I’d rather take 2A and pair it with a high defense number, 4 or maybe even 5.
2A is pretty bad for when they are down to a single figure. Maybe we can consider softening it a bit to keep the base numbers up:

COMBINED HEAT
When attacking or defending with an Ukushisa Pride, add one additional die if that Ukushisa Pride is adjacent to at least one other Ukushisa Pride.
Old April 20th, 2020, 12:49 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
2A is pretty bad for when they are down to a single figure. Maybe we can consider softening it a bit to keep the base numbers up:

COMBINED HEAT
When attacking or defending with an Ukushisa Pride, add one additional die if that Ukushisa Pride is adjacent to at least one other Ukushisa Pride.
Hm actually, I kinda messed up visualizing the initial power. Getting 3 attacks of 5 against a single target would be impossible, since I can’t think of a way for all three Ukushisa to be adjacent to each other and also a single enemy figure. With 3A, it would be hits of 4, 4, and 5, which is a little less troublesome. 3 attacks of 5 would be possible against different targets, but would be a little difficult to pull off.

That being the case, I think I’m fine with 3A either way. I’m also fine with 5D in either case, I’m happy to let them be fairly tough. I actually think there’s a bit of an interesting wrinkle to giving +1 for each adjacent on the defensive end. Keeping the pride at 7D would be tricky, maybe in a good way? You could let two hang at 6D with one at 7 in the middle, but the weaker ones would be targeted first.
Old April 20th, 2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

COMBINED HEAT
Hm actually, I kinda messed up visualizing the initial power. Getting 3 attacks of 5 against a single target would be impossible, since I can’t think of a way for all three Ukushisa to be adjacent to each other and also a single enemy figure. With 3A, it would be hits of 4, 4, and 5, which is a little less troublesome. 3 attacks of 5 would be possible against different targets, but would be a little difficult to pull off.

That being the case, I think I’m fine with 3A either way. I’m also fine with 5D in either case, I’m happy to let them be fairly tough. I actually think there’s a bit of an interesting wrinkle to giving +1 for each adjacent on the defensive end. Keeping the pride at 7D would be tricky, maybe in a good way? You could let two hang at 6D with one at 7 in the middle, but the weaker ones would be targeted first.
I'm good with 3A, but 5D (usually 6) is on the high side. It will keep the price painfully high. I'd rather push them more toward the glass cannon side to keep the cost down.
Old April 20th, 2020, 11:34 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
COMBINED HEAT
I like above. However it no longer has the move bonus suggested so as long as we up the base move to 7 or 8 in line with other hounds in the game, I'd be fine. 3 attack and either 4 or 5 base defense and ~100 points seem fine. Unlike Krav Maga Agents who have Range and Stealth Dodge, this unique squad will be melee and have no auto-defensive power, so I think the extra base Defense +1 for adjacent gives them about same stamina as KMA but less kiting ability brings there attack ability down.

Also thematically I'd like to change "adjacent to at least one other Ukushisa Pride" to "adjacent to at least one other figure with Lava Resistance" as when mixing this unit with the rest of scape it gives some synergy (plus some counter-drafting to opponents with Lava Resistant figures in home games).

Quote:
COMBINED HEAT
When attacking or defending with an Ukushisa Pride, add one additional die if that Ukushisa Pride is adjacent to at least one other figure with Lava Resistance.
So to fine tune if we went with above or Scytale's original suggestion, where are we with stats:

M: 6 / 7 / 8
A: 3
D: 4 / 5
Old April 20th, 2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Also thematically I'd like to change "adjacent to at least one other Ukushisa Pride" to "adjacent to at least one other figure with Lava Resistance" as when mixing this unit with the rest of scape it gives some synergy (plus some counter-drafting to opponents with Lava Resistant figures in home games).
Thematically I don't like that. Why would an Iron Golem boost them?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs