Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 10th, 2024, 09:05 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post

I've not yet attempted miniature painting. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, where does this rank?

That very much depends on your existing skill level with painting. What looks simple can be harder than it looks. I've been painting miniatures daily for many wargames & RPGs since 2016, so I could likely paint it to equal quality in a day or so depending on how detailed I wanted it to be. If it's your first miniature ever you may struggle with it. You could get away with a simple paint job with just a primer, basecoat, and wash if you wanted to. Or you could go deeper with layering, edge highlights, dry brushing, liners, glazes, ect. It really is up to you how difficult you make it.

EDIT: To illustrate the point, here's one of my more recent models.

And here is one of my first.

I found both to be of equal difficulty, but the growth in skill overtime made the difference in quality.
I'm no master, but the hardest part looks like the stripes. Really pick a wing color, fur color, and armor colors. Army painter speed paint is easy to use and has fairly good results. If not even Walmart paint with a hit from army painter quick shade "talent in a can" does wonders. I've even used minwax polyshades as a shader which matches classic fairly well albeit a bit shinny but tough as nails.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:40 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
This sculpt [for Raelin] creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?
Yeah, that is either an error or a departure from previous Heroscape convention in which wings on Large/Huge units count as hit zones.
With the exception of Theracus, only Kyrie wings are not hit zones. All other wings, regardless of size, are hit zones.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:41 PM

foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby!

Speaking for myself I'm not particularly worried about the raw power level of the new units, and I don't believe using members from the community would make a huge difference on that aspect of the game.

I'm sure people here have lots of good advice, but I don't think power level is something that anyone in the world has any tangible knowledge on. Heroscape's competitive scene is comprised entirely of a couple hundred people on this website playing each other. The scale just isn't enough to weed out factors like individual player skill, or community bias.

When it comes to power level it's not about the design, it's about design and feedback. The designer makes something, and the community puts that design through the ringer. Just as important as the design is that feedback aspect. The community isn't large enough to give the necessary feedback to inform what did or didn't work.

So I'm not worried about power level. It could be a problem, but I don't think there's any real way to prevent it given how things are. I think it's just as likely that an older design that the community has over looked will in time prove to be too powerful as it is that a new design will be. It's just not something worth worrying about.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:44 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Quote:
@GaryLASQ
are you slapchop or airbrushing ?
Neither. I'm just wondering how on Earth Renegade is going to replicate (what looks to me, to be) such an amazing paint job.
Old March 10th, 2024, 11:23 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!
That very much depends on your existing skill level with painting. What looks simple can be harder than it looks. I've been painting miniatures daily for many wargames & RPGs since 2016, so I could likely paint it to equal quality in a day or so depending on how detailed I wanted it to be. If it's your first miniature ever you may struggle with it. You could get away with a simple paint job with just a primer, basecoat, and wash if you wanted to. Or you could go deeper with layering, edge highlights, dry brushing, liners, glazes, ect. It really is up to you how difficult you make it.

EDIT: To illustrate the point, here's one of my more recent models.

And here is one of my first.

I found both to be of equal difficulty, but the growth in skill overtime made the difference in quality.
I'm no master, but the hardest part looks like the stripes. Really pick a wing color, fur color, and armor colors. Army painter speed paint is easy to use and has fairly good results. If not even Walmart paint with a hit from army painter quick shade "talent in a can" does wonders. I've even used minwax polyshades as a shader which matches classic fairly well albeit a bit shinny but tough as nails.
I think you're talking about the canned quickshade right? The stuff they sell in the can is oil based, which makes it shine. The ones sold in dropper bottles are water based and doesn't shine. If you are using the oil one, I reccomend using Testors Dullcoat spray. It'll take that shiny surface down to normal with 1-2 coats. You can also use Technical Stormshield by Citadel if you prefer to brush it on.

Last edited by Tmac2200; March 11th, 2024 at 12:00 AM.
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:18 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
TL/DR version, I don't think it's as difficult to custom design heroscape units as people imaginne.
Making a balanced unit is not difficult. Making a good unit is. Adjusting point costs, reigning in overly strong powers, etc, isn't particularly hard. Designing a unit that people want to play and play and play again is a challenge, as the unit needs to provide something that the many other units don't.
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:35 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
@kolakoski

I mean... you do you.

We can play anything we want at home obviously but if Heroscape has a sanctioned way to play, that is the game. Everything else is house rules. This is coming from someone that has made over 300 customs and who does support customs quite often. What we are doing is homebrew.

What Renegade puts out, is officially heroscape. We don't own it. Much like any other hobby that is on the market now, we are slightly at the mercy of what comes out. Probably best to look at it in a positive light if possible instead of trying to look down at it. The current release isn't for me, but that has more to do with the fact that I'm getting out.
Yep. So many people can do customs, not putting C3V down, they have made some really interesting units for sure, but I personally feel a fair percentage are not priced as well as they should be. I'm glad there is now "official" channels and the game is being produced again. If anything I'd love Craig/Grungebob to at least advise Renegade about future balancing of units, as they designed a ton to begin with.
Don’t drag me into this!😆

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 11th, 2024, 07:39 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
This sculpt [for Raelin] creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?
Yeah, that is either an error or a departure from previous Heroscape convention in which wings on Large/Huge units count as hit zones.
With the exception of Theracus, only Kyrie wings are not hit zones. All other wings, regardless of size, are hit zones.
Yeah, I've always inferred the game's hit zone philosophy to be "if the sculpt would otherwise be small enough to conceivably hide behind stuff if not for its protruding wings, the wings cannot be targeted, but if it's big it probably wouldn't ever matter so we'll treat the wings like the targetable body parts they are."
Old March 11th, 2024, 08:42 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
@kolakoski

I mean... you do you.

We can play anything we want at home obviously but if Heroscape has a sanctioned way to play, that is the game. Everything else is house rules. This is coming from someone that has made over 300 customs and who does support customs quite often. What we are doing is homebrew.

What Renegade puts out, is officially heroscape. We don't own it. Much like any other hobby that is on the market now, we are slightly at the mercy of what comes out. Probably best to look at it in a positive light if possible instead of trying to look down at it. The current release isn't for me, but that has more to do with the fact that I'm getting out.
Yep. So many people can do customs, not putting C3V down, they have made some really interesting units for sure, but I personally feel a fair percentage are not priced as well as they should be. I'm glad there is now "official" channels and the game is being produced again. If anything I'd love Craig/Grungebob to at least advise Renegade about future balancing of units, as they designed a ton to begin with.
What if I told you that the people who designed and costed the “undercosted” C3V units are the same people who designed and costed the “Official” designs being released by Renegade..

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old March 11th, 2024, 09:01 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreheroscaper View Post
Very interesting if the information about creating new units is true. To try to be fair, it is hard to understand how to create balanced units that add to the game publish worthy quality (in either classic or a new innovation) if creative team the team doesn't already have a lot of practice at making HS beyond 1-2 years.
I disagree to a point. While i've never been a big custom units person, I've designed a couple customs myself in the past, and used them, my friend/family said felt very balanced. I think anyone can do it. It's not rocket science. Didn't have to be on some sort of official Scape council or anything.

It is easy to get out of control, though, but so long as you have a couple honest playtesters, you should be golden IMO. Shouldn't take years to design good units, perhaps a couple months, but not years.

TL/DR version, I don't think it's as difficult to custom design heroscape units as people imaginne.
Please post those customs!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 11th, 2024, 10:24 AM

Phantom knows what's in an order marker Phantom knows what's in an order marker Phantom knows what's in an order marker

maybe it's already been asked but I'm confused why the card for the basic side of the figures in the 'Battle for the Wellspring' set say 'Age of Annihilation'
For instance, Bok-Bur-Na is (https://renegadegamestudios.com/hero...bio-bok-bur-na)
Marr
Age of Annihilation
nor does it include the total from the set...

For instance Major Q9 was
Alpha Prime
Raknar's Vision
2/5

what's even weirder is what I assumed was an 'expansion' - the Battle for the Wellspring - have numbers 1 - 6, while the master set starts at 7!
Old March 11th, 2024, 10:47 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
maybe it's already been asked but I'm confused why the card for the basic side of the figures in the 'Battle for the Wellspring' set say 'Age of Annihilation'
For instance, Bok-Bur-Na is (https://renegadegamestudios.com/hero...bio-bok-bur-na)
Marr
Age of Annihilation
nor does it include the total from the set...

For instance Major Q9 was
Alpha Prime
Raknar's Vision
2/5

what's even weirder is what I assumed was an 'expansion' - the Battle for the Wellspring - have numbers 1 - 6, while the master set starts at 7!
I think it’s just a reconfiguration of how product is released. Both BftW, and the AoA Master Set are considered part of “Age of Annihilation” which is meant to be the current Epoch. Similar to past master sets kicking off a wave of product existing in the same time frame, but imagine all 3 DnD waves just continuing as part of “Battle for the Underdark”. So everything in Wave 1 is considered part of AoA, regardless of which set the figure comes in. TBD if stuff from wave 2 will have its own name attached to it, or pick up from 19 as it is (presumably) still part of the AoA Epoch. Notice that the promo figures are 17 and 18, so future promos will also just add on to the current number instead of getting their own tagline and 1/1 like old Gencon promos did. It’s also interesting that squads are just given a single number for their card (Paladins are 15) rather than a number for each figure.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News