Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

After our Heroscape tournament Saturday, @akden showed me (and @Taeblewalker ) Byblios, which was a light hand management / bidding game. I didn't start to get a feel for it until it was too late, and I might or might not like it. Need more plays to decide.

Then akden showed us, joined by @OverEngineered , Roll for the Galaxy. As with Race for the Galaxy, it took a significant amount of brainwork to understand how things were connected, but once the game play started to make sense, I *really* enjoyed it. It is somewhat more streamlined than Race, but I suspect that if you like Race you'd probably like Roll. As you might expect from such a game, it didn't work for everyone at the table, but it sure worked for me.

Thanks for showing us, akden!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Played my first two games of the brand new (Kickstarted) Mare Nostrum Empires. Its a great game with a reasonable playing time. We did the two different 3 player versions. Taeblewalker won the first as Rome, and I won the second as Babylon. Average playing time is 2-3 hours, or less if you're not paying attention to what your opponents are doing! Both games were won in different ways.

There are four different ways to win, and its exciting as various players approach different kinds of possible victories, only to be stopped by their opponents. We'll be playing again next week!
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Played my first two games of the brand new (Kickstarted) Mare Nostrum Empires. Its a great game with a reasonable playing time. We did the two different 3 player versions. Taeblewalker won the first as Rome, and I won the second as Babylon. Average playing time is 2-3 hours, or less if you're not paying attention to what your opponents are doing! Both games were won in different ways.

There are four different ways to win, and its exciting as various players approach different kinds of possible victories, only to be stopped by their opponents. We'll be playing again next week!
Sounds cool Chas. I've been following your posts on BGG. How didi you guys rule the tradingredients if one player didn't have enough commodities? Did they get blocked out of the trade? I think that's how I'd rule it.

5 people in my group got the game in recently. I just opened mine a couple days ago and just started reading the rules yesterday. Next Monday night at our weekly game night, 6 of us are going to play it. Can't wait.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:04 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

It didn't happen, perhaps because we only had three players. I think I'd rule it the other way, that they just put out as many as they have. Although your ruling is how it worked in the old game, according to one poster. Hopefully my centralizing all of the FAQ in one bgg thread so early will help us get rules answers faster, both official and non! Hope you will post there too, if you haven't already!

I'm envious that you have so many potential players, but I do have more that will check in for next week.
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

HeroQuest. Going back to basics.
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Smile Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Played some Mercs Recon this morning with one of the new Mercs factions I got in wave 2 of the kickstarter delivery. Fun stuff!

Then this afternoon/evening 4 of us played Andean Abyss. First in the COIN (counter insurgency) series by GMT games. Andean Abyss takes place I. Colombia in the 1990's, where there were Marxist guerrilla armies, brutal drug Lords and and right wing death squads. The government needs to straighten the country out. I played as the AUC, (Autodefensas Unidas de Columbia), who were a Columbian paramilitary and drug trafficking group. Not good guys for sure, as they were into terror and assassination. But for the most part, I am sort of in an alliance with the government forces against the Cartel and FARC (Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Columbia), who were the people's army so to speak, but they used kidnapping, ransom and extortion to power their agenda. The Cartel ended up winning after about 4 1/2 hours.

In a week and a half we'll play Cuba Libre, which is about the Cuban revolution. Then another time move to A Distant Plain, which takes place in Afghanistan. Then A Fire in the Lake, about the Vietnam War. Then Liberty or Death, about the American war of independence. Then, Falling Sky : The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar, which takes place around 53 BC, when Caesar marched up into Gaul.

Old June 19th, 2016, 12:34 AM

Had a perfect summer day out at Rockaway Beach at a pal's who has a house only six down from the beach. I hadn't been there since childhood. Got to wade into the ocean for the first time in years, and have a nice BBQ dinner.

Introduced five new players to Quartermaster General, whose second expansion Alternate Histories (with France and China plus deck building) has finished its Kickstarter and should be out in retail soon. The new expansion is a relatively large expansion compared to Air Marshals which was a small one, not in terms of stuff (both are physically small in stuff you get) but in game effect and changes. As usual, the game played completely different from any of the five games of it I'd played before. Italy took Moscow, but the US had Szechuan, China, and India early, and just blew us Axis players away on points after only 7 turns!

Other versions include Victory or Death (the Peloppenesian War and an upcoming WWI treatment.

Then did two 2 Player games of The Great War Tank Expansion, seeing and playing with the new tank minis for the very first time (even though I'd played through half of the scenarios with proxies). They are real beauts, and come painted!

Sadly, C&C Epic Napoleonics is now delayed from July to August (maybe).

In a month or so a chum will be getting Scythe, which I'll play.
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:58 AM
Prickly Cactus

Played a 6 player game of Mare Nostrum Empires with the Atlantis expansion last night. I was controlling Atlantis and we all had a lot of fun. Got done in a decent time of about 2 hours 45 minutes after setup.

Carthage came over and attacked my southern region and pillaged my city down there, costing me a coin every round. I destroyed one of his Triremes and then built up for war to retake that region. Rome was my other neighbor and while we had a legion and fort each on our border territory, we didn't fight.

Carthage was able to get to 4 heroes/wonders, while I had 3 and was about to buy my 4th when Rome, from out of nowhere bought the pyramids and won. He had previously bought the Hanging Gardens that allowed him to hold two commodities between rounds. Greece wasn't messing with him either, as they were warring with Babylon and Egypt.

I had built up a lot of forces, as Carthage had gotten the Chiron hero that brought in centaurs to auto-kill one legion in battle. I had gotten Medusa to dissuade anyone from entering my territories, but then Carthage got a hero tile that allowed him to copy a hero of another player, and he copied Medusa. So we were having quite the arms race in the west.

Lots of fun for sure.

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:24 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Mare Nostrum looks good Hahma. One of my group purchased it on KS after I suggested it to the group (I couldn't justify the money for a game I wouldn't get to play). I posted it on our FB site hoping someone would get it & they did .

I did purchase the KS for Scythe (in a moment of weakness & illogicness). So I'm anxiously awaiting that to arrive.

Just got my KS of Centauri Saga, so have had 1 solo game of it thus far. Rules book needed a little work (which has been acknowledged & updated for download by the designer & publishers). But all in all it's a cool game. Reminds me much of computer strategy games in that you research, assign & improve stats. It's modular & scenario based so replayability is high. With a online-"hub" for community to add to & expand. I lost severely in my first game & plan on giving it another go tonight. I really like that the solo game doesn't feel just like you are playing a 2 person game with yourself.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:24 AM
Prickly Cactus

@A3n , I never heard of Centauri Saga, but I'll be on the lookout for it if I see someone in my group with it. Seems like it has some options for solo, co-op or PvP, so very flexible.

I can't wait to get Scythe either. Myself and 2 others in my group each ordered the collector's edition with the resin goods and metal coins. From what I've read from people who have played it, it sounds like a good one. Not overly combative, but that depends on the group playing.

Mare Nostrum Empires was fun, and it turns out that 5 of us backed it, so nobody in our group will have to look far to be able to play it if they don't have it.

Old June 21st, 2016, 09:58 AM

Hahma,

I've got another session of Mare Nostrum Empires coming up here on Wednesday. But its so easy to play that I may take it to my new (light) boardgame group tonight, and see if I can get a 5-6 player going!

PS: My name is on both MNE rule books as a rules editor. I mostly helped them translate the names of the wonders into proper English. But they never did turn heroine "Ariane" (apparently French) into Ariadne. I almost got them to change "Atlas" into Atlantis for the name of the expansion, but they flipped back at the last minute!
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:31 AM

Last night played a great game (aren't they all) of five player Blood Rage. I came in second. Yet again it was still different, with new strategies and new cards to explore, and I've played over 20 times! But when Fenris showed up in my very first draft I took him yet again, and did his usual Ragnarok changing thing! Awooo!!!

Today it will be two more games of Mare Nostrum Empires. Or maybe three. Hail Atlantis!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games