Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:16 AM

mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

'sup Craig.

There was a thread on this site which discussed the cartoons...it's been a while, some of the links are dead.

Here are some Youtube links to a couple Heroscape teaser cartoons

I think more in that style might also have been made, but no longer posted anywhere.

There were also 5 mini-webisodes made in a 3D style. Here they are put together into one video (The resolution is poor quality.)

Finally, in the Heroscapers download section, under "Theme and Fiction" you'll find all the Heroscape comics (in jpeg and pdf) and a rough draft of a script for webisodes that were never made. Looks like the original source of the script was here.
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:02 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
What figures or types of figures do you most regret that never saw the light of day with the move to D&D and then cancellation? Pirates? The final Elf Wizard? Aquilla Flagbearer? Something else?
Star Wars Heroscape... Marvel expansion packs...
I am a little surprised the reveal that Star Wars heroscape was almost a thing didn't break this site. Did no one else see this? CVN posted that he regrets that star war heroscape never saw the light of day, and we just gloss on by?

Craig, is there anything you can share with us about Star Wars heroscape, anything at all?

Yeah, I didn't pursue it because I figured anything more than this was probably locked up by a Hasbro gag order. But I would love to hear more if more can be said.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:14 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
"Army card cost formula"? Do tell!
Indeed. That would be most interesting for producing customs. I mean we have our ways anyway, but still.
Yes. We had formulas. When designing we would put the cards into the formula to see what would come out. We usually guessed first at a cost.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:26 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
"Army card cost formula"? Do tell!
Indeed. That would be most interesting for producing customs. I mean we have our ways anyway, but still.
Yes. We had formulas. When designing we would put the cards into the formula to see what would come out. We usually guessed first at a cost.
Yes, I've seen cost formulas around, most of them seem to not be that great. Nowadays, a lot of costing is done by comparison to existing units, and revised by testing. I guess I was wondering if you could actually share the cost formula you used, or shed some light on to how effective it was.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:27 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Hi Craig,

Were there official plans to develop some type of Lord of the Rings HeroScape?

Thanks!
No. At the time I think Games Workshop was making minis. I think we decided not to compete with GW.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Hi Craig, it's quite awesome to have you in the community, especially looking at the customs section! I'm sure your critique will be greatly appreciated there.

I have a game mechanic question. Was there any thoughts of creating units with a range of 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance!
~HS2010
We tried to make cards that made sense. I guess we never really designed with range 2 or 3 in mind. I think if we had an idea for a weapon that made sense to have a 2 or 3 range, we would have considered it.
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathburn View Post
Hello Craig, I must ask why did super scape not really get that much love. It does seem like a massively untapped market. Unless there where things such as opposing creative licenses that halted it's continuation, or lack of market impact at first.
When WOTC took over Heroscape, they had a plan to turn it into a D&D miniatures game. I strongly advised against this plan because I felt Marvel was much more appealing to mass market consumers than D&D. Also, I wanted to keep the Heroscape story pure. I urged WOTC to continue with the Marvel expansions as designed and to not launch D&D Heroscape. I knew they wanted to reuse sculpts. These sculpts did not exactly align with the head and hand scale of classic Heroscape. One thing I will always be is someone who pays attention to detail and quality. Ultimately, my advise was ignored.

WOTC did take my advise on hiring the correct people to design their Heroscape product. Colby Dauch, Jerry Hawthorn and Chris Dupuis made sure the design and innovation of the WOTC designed Heroscape product was excellent.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For what its worthy Craig, I think you played the hand you were dealt as well as you possibly could. But with how big Marvel has gotten recently with their continuous box offices successes, I have to believe that if Marvel 'Scape would have continued, the game would still be on store shelves today.

I would like to know: Did you ever consider releasing the standard expansion packs in cardboard boxes, without the clear plastic bit, to save on cost/be able to ship the boxes more compactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 5th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Craig, I must ask why did super scape not really get that much love. It does seem like a massively untapped market. Unless there where things such as opposing creative licenses that halted it's continuation, or lack of market impact at first.
When WOTC took over Heroscape, they had a plan to turn it into a D&D miniatures game. I strongly advised against this plan because I felt Marvel was much more appealing to mass market consumers than D&D. Also, I wanted to keep the Heroscape story pure. I urged WOTC to continue with the Marvel expansions as designed and to not launch D&D Heroscape. I knew they wanted to reuse sculpts. These sculpts did not exactly align with the head and hand scale of classic Heroscape. One thing I will always be is someone who pays attention to detail and quality. Ultimately, my advise was ignored.

WOTC did take my advise on hiring the correct people to design their Heroscape product. Colby Dauch, Jerry Hawthorn and Chris Dupuis made sure the design and innovation of the WOTC designed Heroscape product was excellent.
Thanks for sharing this. I feel so justified in only viewing Classic and Marvel as "real" Heroscape.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old October 5th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

And I, conversely, feel justified in viewing some of the D&D units as the best that Heroscape has to offer.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:00 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
And I, conversely, feel justified in viewing some of the D&D units as the best that Heroscape has to offer.
Agreed. Whether you like or hate the D&D theme and the figures and all that WotC did, everyone has to admit that the units that Colby, Jerry and Chris designed are really great.
Old October 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this. I feel so justified in only viewing Classic and Marvel as "real" Heroscape.
Just as long as you don't screw up the Heroscape wiki with this viewpoint XD

I jest in that matter, but I'm glad to see there's some more perception from the officials made on the concept that cleaved our community in half for so long.

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion