Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:39 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Checking the D&D Scape rulebook:

Action 1. Reveal Your order marker (Always)
Start your turn by revealing your order marker for that turn, then laying it number-side up on the Army Card. Note: Later in the game, it's possible that the figure(s) on that Army Card will have been destroyed earlier in the round. In such a case, you lose your turn.

It appears you do reveal the OM, even if the figure is destroyed.
Perfect!
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

But, p13 under Life:
Quote:
"...When all figures on an Army Card have been destroyed, the Army Card is out of play. Do not reveal any unrevealed order markers that are on that card for that round of play. On future rounds, you can't take any turns for that card. At the beginning of the next round, any order markers still on that Army Card come back into play and can be place in future rounds."
So reading that it seems that the OM's on a destroyed are "out of play" (& don't get revealed) until the beginning of the next round.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
But, p13 under Life:
Quote:
"...When all figures on an Army Card have been destroyed, the Army Card is out of play. Do not reveal any unrevealed order markers that are on that card for that round of play. On future rounds, you can't take any turns for that card. At the beginning of the next round, any order markers still on that Army Card come back into play and can be place in future rounds."
So reading that it seems that the OM's on a destroyed are "out of play" (& don't get revealed) until the beginning of the next round.

Yeah, I guess that would appear so. I've never really had a situation where it mattered if I revealed an OM on dead card, but this official ruling certainly makes it crystal clear. Even when revealing, it was a dead OM anyway since that card was dead, but now there won't be any questions about it.

Nice find A3n

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
But, p13 under Life:
Quote:
Okay, well, this looks pretty definitive. I'll throw an FAQ in his book, I think.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM

FeegleWarlord Woo who?

I've built a battlefield with two FotA. I have a circular keep in the middle. Player one starts within the keep. Players two and three start at either end of the battlefield and have to work together to defeat player one. What would be a fair ratio for the army point values?
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Depending on how large of armies you plan on playing I would say good point totals would be a 1 to 1 to 1 ratio. This is unless you guys plan on doing 2,000 or 3,000 plus armies in which case players 2 and 3 should have slightly less point totals than player one. The double castle should mitigate the fact that players 2 and 3 get an extra set of oms.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...

Last edited by Crixus33; July 4th, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: you may want to get a few more opinions than just mine
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

It is really tough to get the perfect ratio in this situation. My brother in-law, nephew and myself used to do this quite a bit and it never seemed to work out where the game was really close at the end.

While having the castle is great to get height advantage, if the opponent's have twice as many points to use and twice as many activations per turn, the loss of figures in the castle is that much more huge.

With having the castle in the center of the map, the defender has to split his forces to deal with the enemies coming from either end, so that's even more difficult than having the castle at one end and having both opponent's coming from the same end because in that situation, the defender can concentrate all his forces in one direction.

Perhaps a ratio of like 1 to 3/4 to 3/4, where it ends up being 1 vs 1.5 of points. There is a lot of things to consider because the make-up of the armies can also affect how much each player can get out of them. Obviously the defender is going to want ranged attackers, while the attackers are also going to want ranged attacks, but also flyers/leapers etc.

We used to roll for Generals and then each player can only draft from that General's army. Of course we had a boatload of stuff to choose from, so that might not be ideal for everyone, depending on their collection. We did it to speed up the draft process since we liked larger armies and this way we could choose our armies simultaneously.

Ultimately, it may take a few games and tweaks to get the ratio right for you guys. Another thing besides points that can be used as adjustments is perhaps give the defender an extra OM so they get 4 activations per round vs. 6.

Good luck!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You might also consider letting the Defender have two separate armies with two separate sets of OMs. Hahma's idea is good also; give the defender an extra X, then they can reveal whichever X they want after everyone has finished their third turn. I would actually lean towards making the defender's army as large as the other two combined if you're not going to give extra OMs.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM

FeegleWarlord Woo who?

One of the friends I am playing with is not a strategist. He likes placing all of his order markers in a pyramid on his strongest unit. He doesn't plan and charges in without thinking through or taking safety into account. He rarely gets to use all of the markers so we stopped using them when we play with him. My brother will be out of his element. He likes using swarm tactics, but that doesn't work well when sieging a castle. This said, my brother is more likely to adapt to a new strategy.
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM

FeegleWarlord Woo who?

I forgot my other question. Do you have any suggestions regarding glyphs (which ones should be used, placement, etc.)? We have 2 sets from RotV, 1 set from SotM and the following glyphs available; 1 Lodin, 2 Rannveig, 1 belt of giant strength, 1 elixir of speed, 1 bracers of teleportation, 1 whetstone of venom and 1 giant hunter stone.
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeegleWarlord View Post
I forgot my other question. Do you have any suggestions regarding glyphs (which ones should be used, placement, etc.)? We have 2 sets from RotV, 1 set from SotM and the following glyphs available; 1 Lodin, 2 Rannveig, 1 belt of giant strength, 1 elixir of speed, 1 bracers of teleportation, 1 whetstone of venom and 1 giant hunter stone.
Regarding glyphs, if you have FotA than I usually (unless it's already used for some other reason) place that somewhere in equal(ish) distance from all the players starting zones and have a small grouping of glyphs in there, symbol side up and with a good variety of types of glyphs, almost always including the Pit Trap, to give a little bit more excitement to the whole ordeal.

On any basis I usually would say to place glyphs in harder to reach areas, and almost always symbol side up. If you want to place glyphs in or near starting zones of one or more players, I would suggest having equal and opposite glyphs for different players, for example one person could have the Glyph of Astrid and the other player could have the Glyph of Gerda.

Also, regarding treasure glyphs I find it hard to use them effectively though they definitely have their place, usually I'd say to have them easier to get to than the regular glyphs.

Hope I helped.

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; July 5th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Generally in 2 vs 1 castle siege games we use total attacking points are equal to total defending points. The attackers having 2 sets of order markers vs the attackers one set compensates pretty well. Not always perfect, but it's I think it's a good starting point.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's