Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?
Dice preferences

Not like it really matters but for the sake of conversation, what dice do you prefer?

Up until my 'great awakening' a few weeks back when I converted all of my closest friends to heroscape, I had always used the 1st edition master set separate dice for attack and defense, only bringing out the valkyrie dice for the flag bearers for their abilities. Now, if only for the sake of convenience, my friends and I go with either the valkyrie dice that a flag bearer would need (like if I was playing Ornak, I'd go utgar etc) or just the general's color we have the most of in our armies. However they seem to always slip out of our hands and fall noisily to the floor ._.

So are valkyrie dice standard at this point if only for convenience or do people still use older dice because they're not as blocky?

And if you do use the v. dice, any particular favorite?
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dice preferences

The Einar dice are gorgeous, and so I use them. I don't know what you mean. Do you mean you think Valkyrie dice are more likely to slip off the table/out of your hand?
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
The Einar dice are gorgeous, and so I use them. I don't know what you mean. Do you mean you think Valkyrie dice are more likely to slip off the table/out of your hand?
The Einar d20 is my favorite, for sure. But I don't know, it just seems unless we have a death grip on them from the time we pick the dice up until we roll it on the tray, the dice will fall to the floor. I like to think we're not nasty slobs who have a constant coating of slippery grease on our fingertips, but I can't think of any real explanation.

Or we might just be clumsy.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

When we play at my house, my friends and I always use the Valkyrie dice. This is to prevent the standard dice's symbols from wearing off. We don't have a particular favorite Valkyrie dice, we just use the ones we are in the mood for.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I pretty much rotate through all the dice I own. For a large game, I generally use about 30-35 different dice based on how well they are rolling for me. Although recently, we have made a rule that you are only allowed 1 dice swap throughout a given game, so we need to carefully choose the time that we swap out our dice. I really don't use the 1st edition RotV dice unless I am in serious need of a luck swing. I don't want to overuse them and wear out their ability to produce solid rolls.

For quick games, we use the Valkyrie dice because they are the most convenient. I am usually best with the Utgar dice, although they are not great for defense. I am somewhat good with Ullar, but I am really bad with Vydar, Jandar, and Einar.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I use whatever dice will give me the best results. But normally I use the 1st Edition, just because it's easier for me to know what I rolled.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

I cannot think of any time when dice seemed to have been rolling consistently in anyone's favor. Although Friday night, every time my friend would roll an attack of exactly 2 dice, it would almost always be double skulls.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

I don't have the first edition dice nor do I own any of the flag bearers, so I guess I'd have to say that I prefer the normal dice.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I prefer Gencon dice, personally.

I do see the appeal of the 1st edition dice, because they are probably the easiest to glance across the table at and immediately know what your opponent rolled.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Hunpo is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'm all about those Einar dice, but they're unwieldly, so I only use them if there's enough space. I wish the flag dice rolled better, but at least they look good.

Heroscape, or as the Chinese say, 'Hero-Scape', sport of emperors and bandits alike.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I prefer Gencon dice, personally.

I do see the appeal of the 1st edition dice, because they are probably the easiest to glance across the table at and immediately know what your opponent rolled.
What do Gencon dice look like?
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
Einar dice are the worst. A whiff is bad enough, but with Einar Dice you've got a handful of frowny faces rubbing your nose in it.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion