Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 27th, 2016, 04:38 PM

Razqua is surprisingly tart
New player. Should I buy Shadows Over Innistrad?

Hi so I used to have the original heroscape set when I was a kid. I have since lost that entire set but I wanted to get back into heroscape and play it with some friends. Sadly I don't have the money right now to get a full set. However Shadows Over Innistrad set for AotP is on sale right now on amazon for $10. I know the two games are very similar. I was wondering if it would be a good jumping off point for getting into heroscape. Would it be possible to create rules to make the two games compatible?
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:48 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation
Re: New player. Should I buy Shadows Over Innistrad?

For $10 - it is totally worth it.

You'll see how it plays just like Heroscape but is also a very different game.

I'd say hours of enjoyment with a new boardgame - and that can be hard to find for $10.

If you like it - I'd grab the 1st release (Arena of the Planeswalkers). It will probably be $15-20 even after the new year.
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Cool. I went ahead and ordered it. You do have a point. For $10 bucks it's a steal. I even get free shipping with Amazon Plus. I probably will get a lot of enjoyment out of it if nothing else until I can afford to get Heroscape.
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

It is an excellent replacement/addition/standalone game. I would recommend it in a heartbeat to any fan of heroscape.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:07 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqua View Post
Cool. I went ahead and ordered it. You do have a point. For $10 bucks it's a steal. I even get free shipping with Amazon Plus. I probably will get a lot of enjoyment out of it if nothing else until I can afford to get Heroscape.
Excellent! If you don't enjoy it after a few games, you can probably sell of the terrain and/or figures here on the Sales thread : ) Folks were very interested in the Cryptoliths.

Enjoy!!!
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Yes get now, whether for use with Magic:AotP and/or with Heroscape. For those that just got SOI and want to combine the mats and Cryptoliths from that set with Heroscape terrain, see Cryptolith Map Contest entries and download 8 different Cryptolith Maps here. Poll up soon, but you can play starting now!
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Woo, Vermonter!

I'm about 30 miles east of you in Marlboro. This coming semester I'll be teaching a class about games at Marlboro College, including a good dose of 'scape, so I hope there will be a little VT scene re-emerging. Also, @Cleon has been talking about putting some oomph back into the New England scene. We used to have a few events a year with attendances usually 15-30, including in Marlboro and Brattleboro.

Welcome back to the game.
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

I have very much enjoyed Shadows Over Innistrad!! Definitely worth the purchase!!

H E R O S C A P E
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Woo, Vermonter!

I'm about 30 miles east of you in Marlboro. This coming semester I'll be teaching a class about games at Marlboro College, including a good dose of 'scape, so I hope there will be a little VT scene re-emerging. Also, @Cleon has been talking about putting some oomph back into the New England scene. We used to have a few events a year with attendances usually 15-30, including in Marlboro and Brattleboro.

Welcome back to the game.
Cool that someone here is relatively nearby. If there are any events within a reasonable distance I may be able to show up although I don't think I'm anywhere near a competitive level considering the last time I played was like 10 years ago. Wish I could attend your class but I don't think that's an option.
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Heh, it'd be cool if you could attend the class (high-schoolers in the area, which might mean just Windham Cty I'm not sure, can take a class for free if that's any use to you or someone you know) but I mostly meant to point out that there might be an active playing group in the area pretty soon.

And you don't have to worry about competitive level. The NE scene was always very relaxed: the goal is to play and have fun. We usually used a Swiss system which quickly pairs people with those of a similar skill-level and everyone has fun and no-one gets knocked out. There have been 8-year-olds playing and also people who learned the game on the day. You'd be fine.
Old December 30th, 2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Heh, it'd be cool if you could attend the class (high-schoolers in the area, which might mean just Windham Cty I'm not sure, can take a class for free if that's any use to you or someone you know) but I mostly meant to point out that there might be an active playing group in the area pretty soon.

And you don't have to worry about competitive level. The NE scene was always very relaxed: the goal is to play and have fun. We usually used a Swiss system which quickly pairs people with those of a similar skill-level and everyone has fun and no-one gets knocked out. There have been 8-year-olds playing and also people who learned the game on the day. You'd be fine.
Cool. Feel free to message me when something happens. Now I just need to get a car.
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Innistrad is the best release yet! Fun how little additions like Cryptoliths and Weird spaces can make the game so much more interesting. The planeswalkers are much cooler than previous releases as well! I like that there are 3 multi colored ones but that there are enough spell cards to go around. When Kiora was released you had to have 2 sets of the master set so that playing blue/green wouldn't prevent someone else from playing Green or Blue.

The units just seem better designed overall. Cool powers and synergies! It's also the best packaged of all the releases. Everything has a space and fits neatly back into the box!

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 10th, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion