Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old October 13th, 2023, 06:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

Here's a link to a 23 minute youtube video by Sir Heroscape which is his summary and reaction to the Renegade Stream, which he posted a couple of days ago. One thing I didn't catch he mentions is that Wave 1 of the Renegade Revival will be available for purchase in the First Quarter of 2024! Will this include things not in the upcoming new Master Set and/or the smaller buy in set--should we rush to buy it or wait for it to be included in a later offering? (Old production Waves were of course not included Master sets).

At the end this also links to a 15 minute video that reviews some of what was in the Hasbro offering in a "Reader's Digest" summary. During the offering period he of course did many more detailed videos on this material. Here the one thing he mentions I found most interesting is the reminder that there were some design hints on things that were not in the offering. He wasn't specific about these; I guess he's talking about things like a Dwarf Mammoth which I think we saw a sketch for.

Old October 13th, 2023, 11:18 AM

My Darling Panzer knows what's in an order marker My Darling Panzer knows what's in an order marker My Darling Panzer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Here's a link to a 23 minute youtube video by Sir Heroscape which is his summary and reaction to the Renegade Stream, which he posted a couple of days ago. One thing I didn't catch he mentions is that Wave 1 of the Renegade Revival will be available for purchase in the First Quarter of 2024! Will this include things not in the upcoming new Master Set and/or the smaller buy in set--should we rush to buy it or wait for it to be included in a later offering? (Old production Waves were of course not included Master sets).

At the end this also links to a 15 minute video that reviews some of what was in the Hasbro offering in a "Reader's Digest" summary. During the offering period he of course did many more detailed videos on this material. Here the one thing he mentions I found most interesting is the reminder that there were some design hints on things that were not in the offering. He wasn't specific about these; I guess he's talking about things like a Dwarf Mammoth which I think we saw a sketch for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghu30ZH35aA
Sorry to be a downer, but to clarify, the pinned comment from Scott from Renegade on the video states that there will be reveals in Q1 2024, not content available for purchase. I wish it were so, but alas tis not so!
Old October 13th, 2023, 11:54 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

MDP,

Thanks; that makes more sense. Maybe Sir Heroscape meant "available to look at?"
Old October 13th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
MDP,

Thanks; that makes more sense. Maybe Sir Heroscape meant "available to look at?"
yes. I didn't articulate it clearly...but the big reveal was that they'll announce the wave 1 content by Q1...not necessarily purchase. It's possible, of course they could open up pre-orders...but they confirmed no product would likely be available during Q1...more just that all the content will be revealed.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 14th, 2023, 04:15 AM

foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby!

I've been checking in sporadically and I'm happy to hear that were getting more solid information about what's happening. I'm a bit surprised that historical units are still off the table as are reprints, but it's good to hear that they're at least looking into the possibility of pre-painted figures.

On the concept of reprints I'll just throw an idea out that they may or may not have already considered but there's no need to do a full scale reprint of the entirety of heroscape. The main thing is making sure that newer players who don't have as expansive a collection as some more long time players don't feel left out and unable to participate. So that really just means that the only reprints that it might hurt to not have are very competitively viable figures, and perhaps secondarily very popular figures. And if the list needs to be scaled down even further once you stop considering the historical figures there's a pretty small list of reprints that would have a dramatic effect on the collections of new players.

I've said plenty on historical figures during the last revival so I won't go over all of my points again, but I do believe that it's better to take proactive steps with historical figures and make efforts to approach them properly.

That all said I'm gonna keep my eye on this, I won't have a ton of time to contribute but I'll definitely make sure to let everyone I know who might be interested what's happening and I'll put a little pressure on a few game stores to pickup heroscape if I can.

Edit: apparently like an AI I'm just hallucinating some number of facts here or at least misinterpreting what others have said. I'll just make this edit for coherency of the thread but hopefully making sure not to spread misinformation.

Last edited by foofoofun; October 18th, 2023 at 03:10 AM.
Old October 14th, 2023, 10:32 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I must've missed where it was said that historical units were off the table? They're focusing on AoA stuff in the short term. Has there been anything concrete said about what's coming out after other than no reprints?

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 14th, 2023, 11:04 AM

They themselves are designing new figures/cards, so I assume those will also be AOA. There's been nothing about After AOA as far as I know.
Old October 26th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Its interesting how the new Kickstarter offering--Source (terrain sets) with Timestrike (the first game to use them; name changed from "Timescape" after the Haslab and/or Renegade announcements) now being offered together in their new Kickstarter by their own company Adventure Together Games--is handling the prepainted issue for their own figures. It seems they are prepainting their main Heroes but leaving the Monsters unpainted.

Such a mix seems kind of weird, and seems to confirm what some previous posters have said about the possibility of Haslab eventually having some figures painted and some not--that that would look odd; I think it does. Ditto for unpainted AOA coming in on a battlefield besides the painted previous Scape issued.

I wish the other company success of course, but as I discovered on the Other Board Game section's "What Kickstarters Are You Backing" thread, it turns out the new product is not in fact compatible with Scape terrain, and you can't connect them together, although you could use Scape figures on the new terrain which is in a similar scale. One guy there said he is backing it, but no one else has said so so far. It backed fully in only an hour; they had a reasonable funding goal.

Since it has just come out after some preliminary ads, and it takes a while to set such an offering up, I assume they didn't know about the Renegade Revival of Scape just like the rest of us, and were originally planning their offering either before they knew about either the Haslab offering to come, or later on the Renegade one now being noted as to come next year.

So now there is an alternative to Renegade, although it seems like those of us with large original Scape collections will not in general be bailing into the new Source and Timestrike sets. One can only wonder how and if AT's line will affect what Renegade will be doing, with this other game system now being in direct competition with Heroscape as another plastic hex game system, and a first game to play on it.

Last edited by chas; October 26th, 2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old October 26th, 2023, 06:32 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The Source folks have been at work for 3+ years, yeah. The name change, I think, was trying to play nice and avoid confusion preemptively after Renegade's announcement.

I should clarify some other points you made here as well:

1. It doesn't come prepainted. There's a (higher) tier of backing that includes a precolored option where the minis come printed in full color. I believe it's like 11 printed in full color and 8 "paint yourself" figures (that are maybe more of the generic grunts, which would likely bother someone like me less).

2. Since the precolored is not the default, it's worth noting the price difference. A base buy-in of the terrain system and the TimeStrike game is $99 on the Kickstarter. There's a $200 upcharge from there for the precoloring.

If Renegade ends up offering precolored printing (seems more realistic than prepainted in 2023, especially as technology evolves) that gives a good baseline ($200 upcharge for about 11 figures).

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 26th, 2023, 08:45 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I hope the Renegade offering doesn't end up just being pre-colored (if they're able to offer anything at all), that'll be wildly disappointing, at least for me.

I'd prefer gray if there's no reasonable pre-painted option. I feel like it 'matches' better than the loud colors (at least the ones Hasbro had initially chosen). Though I realize the figures are much easier differentiated pre-colored, than a sea of gray.

As much as I really dislike painting. Having to paint Scape minis will be much easier since the schemes on the classic figures was so simple. Nothing intricate, much easier to match the aesthetic.

-insert signature here-
Old October 26th, 2023, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the clarifications, Bats. Just to mention it, I have also used Scape terrain for my huge collection of old Star Wars minis; 1 inch from that games flexible ruler cloths become 1 hex, and that's all. I've only done it a couple of times, once or twice with our own HOSS scenarios, and once with the old minis and their own rules in a snowy Hoth setup, including my one BIG AT-AT and a bunch of AT-STs, etc.

So I certainly understand the utility of our hexes. I've also seen Scape terrain used for wargames at HMGS Conventions, with both 54mm figures like I collect (30,000 of them) with only 1 mini to a hex, and also smaller scales being used. I guess the advent of 3D printing makes it more than a coincidence that both companies are offering their games now.

I took only a quick look at the ATG offering, and saw painted mixed with unpainted figures. I like the different options they have with the many different "bionome" sets (different terrain settings) they will be offering. And their many additional terrain types to what we have in Scape might give Renegade some ideas! It might be that in the future some of the ATG specialized terrain pieces other than the hexes end up here in our games. Their walls look good, but of course we'll be getting walls with AOA (see my anticipatory rules for Illusory Walls through my signature link below, for which I'm using our current Castle Walls for now in our games--there are photos of some of our games, including the one where I set up the walls almost identicalyl to the set up seen in that old Haslab display photo.
Old October 26th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Ooh, I don't think I'd seen that Source posted walls. I'm going to have to check that out ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I hope the Renegade offering doesn't end up just being pre-colored (if they're able to offer anything at all), that'll be wildly disappointing, at least for me.
I mean, I imagine (unless they are really misguided) that they'd include it as an option, not the default. If it's like $18/mini more to offer it precolored, that shouldn't be the base offering, IMO, just an option something has. In 2023 in what's likely initially going to be a direct-to-market sale, there's no reason not to offer targeted options like that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News