Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Old February 21st, 2022, 02:51 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Buying a Resin Printer: Advice?

Hey all,
I've done some research and I'm close to pulling the trigger on an AnyCubic Photon Mono SE Printer with the Wash and Cure Machine 2.0. I can get this + 1KG of plant based resin for $371. I'm wondering if anyone has experience purchasing resin printers and if so whether this is a good deal or not. I'm in no rush, so if better deals often come available I'd be happy to wait. If I end up waiting 6 months to a year to plunge into 3D printing I'd be OK with that.

Anyways, I'm probably looking to buy this in the next week if nothing changes so I'd appreciate any advice you have
Old February 21st, 2022, 04:04 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Buying a Resin Printer: Advice?

@TREX is the man to ask.
Old February 21st, 2022, 05:23 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Wash and Cure Machine is totally optional imo, I do not have one and have been happy with my results.

AnyCubic Photon line is a good choice, and if you can get it in the $200-$250 range that’s a good deal.
Old February 21st, 2022, 11:26 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I’m still rocking my anycubic photon original printer. 1 bought it for 170 bucks on a sale, I’ve replaced the screen once for 30 bucks and have printed a few thousand minis. Generally I would recommend any of the anycubic printers up to and including the mono x. You can go bigger or more resolution but in most cases you wouldn’t need to in this hobby. I’ve printed so many minis that I’ve been on a hiatus for a bit because I was out of room to store them and had too many to keep up on painting. As far as resin goes, it’s brittle. More brittle than filament. To counter that you need to use stronger resins or mix in resins. I prefer sirayatech fast abs resin. It’s about three times stronger than the average stuff and costs a little more but worth it. For even more strength you could mix in some tenacious but that stuff is literally double the cost. I’ve cleaned my models in a simple larger Tupperware container filled with IPA with no problems for a few years now changing it out ever so often when it becomes too clouded.
Old February 25th, 2022, 04:09 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I’m still rocking my anycubic photon original printer. 1 bought it for 170 bucks on a sale, I’ve replaced the screen once for 30 bucks and have printed a few thousand minis. Generally I would recommend any of the anycubic printers up to and including the mono x. You can go bigger or more resolution but in most cases you wouldn’t need to in this hobby. I’ve printed so many minis that I’ve been on a hiatus for a bit because I was out of room to store them and had too many to keep up on painting. As far as resin goes, it’s brittle. More brittle than filament. To counter that you need to use stronger resins or mix in resins. I prefer sirayatech fast abs resin. It’s about three times stronger than the average stuff and costs a little more but worth it. For even more strength you could mix in some tenacious but that stuff is literally double the cost. I’ve cleaned my models in a simple larger Tupperware container filled with IPA with no problems for a few years now changing it out ever so often when it becomes too clouded.
Thanks a ton for the advice! After doing more research it looks like I'll have to move out of a dorm room before I'm able to get a printer due to the fumes. But this was helpful nonetheless!
Old September 6th, 2022, 05:34 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Quote:
Thanks a ton for the advice! After doing more research it looks like I'll have to move out of a dorm room before I'm able to get a printer due to the fumes. But this was helpful nonetheless!

Did you ever pull the trigger on this? With the Heroscape revival on the horizon, I’m looking into resin printers for the sake rebuilding my collection after I had to sell in 2013.
Old September 7th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Did you ever pull the trigger on this? With the Heroscape revival on the horizon, I’m looking into resin printers for the sake rebuilding my collection after I had to sell in 2013.
I did, but I haven't gotten to use it yet. I live in a dorm so finding a spot I can safely set it up is a bit of a challenge. Resin is toxic, which means you don't want to run it in a living space - I think I just found a place I can use it but won't get around to the initial test till next week. Cost-wise, i found a used Anycubic Photon Mono SE for $100 and then I had to buy roughly another $100 of supplies (TREX sent me a list that was super helpful).
Old September 7th, 2022, 10:07 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

I did, but I haven't gotten to use it yet. I live in a dorm so finding a spot I can safely set it up is a bit of a challenge. Resin is toxic, which means you don't want to run it in a living space - I think I just found a place I can use it but won't get around to the initial test till next week. Cost-wise, i found a used Anycubic Photon Mono SE for $100 and then I had to buy roughly another $100 of supplies (TREX sent me a list that was super helpful).
Will you be buying/making/using an enclosure or vent hood for your printer? While the printers shouldn't be running in a cramped living space, it's my understanding that proper filtration and ventilation help to reduce harmful particles considerably.

I'm in a two-bedroom apartment and would love to get a 3D printer, but we don't have great ventilation or a "peace of mind" place to set it up. Currently I'm working on a plan for a DIY enclosure involving activated carbon filters, fans, and a HEPA vacuum (with additional carbon filters).

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old September 8th, 2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

Will you be buying/making/using an enclosure or vent hood for your printer? While the printers shouldn't be running in a cramped living space, it's my understanding that proper filtration and ventilation help to reduce harmful particles considerably.

I'm in a two-bedroom apartment and would love to get a 3D printer, but we don't have great ventilation or a "peace of mind" place to set it up. Currently I'm working on a plan for a DIY enclosure involving activated carbon filters, fans, and a HEPA vacuum (with additional carbon filters).
If you figure that out lmk. on the dorm I only get my room which is the same as the one I sleep in so I'm not sure it'll be safe
Old September 8th, 2022, 04:28 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

If you figure that out lmk. on the dorm I only get my room which is the same as the one I sleep in so I'm not sure it'll be safe
I went ahead and ordered an Anycubic Photon Mono 4K yesterday. I'm sure someone here can chime in and tell me if this is a good idea or not, but I'm not anticipating any prints that will take longer than a few hours, so my plan is to set up as needed in one of my two bathrooms, both of which have exhaust fans that vent to the outside of the house completely, either during the day when the kids are at school, or at night when everyone else is asleep. Obviously the printer won't live in the bathroom, and will be stored away from moisture (and my kids) when not in use. If push comes to shove, I also have a shed in my backyard with electricity that I could probably do a more permanent setup with, but I'm concerned with the ambient air temperatures affecting the printer itself.
Old September 8th, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

I went ahead and ordered an Anycubic Photon Mono 4K yesterday. I'm sure someone here can chime in and tell me if this is a good idea or not, but I'm not anticipating any prints that will take longer than a few hours, so my plan is to set up as needed in one of my two bathrooms, both of which have exhaust fans that vent to the outside of the house completely, either during the day when the kids are at school, or at night when everyone else is asleep. Obviously the printer won't live in the bathroom, and will be stored away from moisture (and my kids) when not in use. If push comes to shove, I also have a shed in my backyard with electricity that I could probably do a more permanent setup with, but I'm concerned with the ambient air temperatures affecting the printer itself.
I'd look into plant based resin which is supposedly nontoxic
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:12 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

You should be fine running it in a bathroom with an exhaust when no one is around.

There are some resins with strong smell, but I usually use Siraya ABS-like resin, and it doesn't have a strong smell. I've used it in my wide open kitchen, but right now I have it in my large game room upstairs. I don't smell anything, even when I'm in the room until I start cleaning it with alcohol.

In addition, there is not enough information about the vapors. There are short-term risks (that I've never experienced, even when working with the resin). But the long-term risks are unknown due to lack of research.

So it's good to be cautious. But a closed bathroom with an outside exhaust should be good to remove any fumes.

If the smell is too strong for you to work with it during cleaning, then you might want an extra fan near the printer with an exhaust duct running up to the outside vent so that the fumes are pulled right away to the outside vent.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing