Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

He is my favorite author and I am surprised this is your first foray into his tales.
Now you must seek out his other works.

I am not entirely sure if Conan cracks my top three for REH characters.

I really enjoyed his Cthullu tales(he was pen pals with HPL). My top two characters are Dark Agnes(one of the inspirations for the comic version of Red Sonja) and Black Turlough who is like a Viking version of Conan but even more bad-ass.

He has incredibly humorous tales about a boxer(actually two boxers but they were essentially the same character) and a mountain of a mountain man. He really could write anything.

One of my favorites(rather long for a REH tale also) is Skullface and is a detective story with a bit of Cthullu like flavor.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I like his westerns. Vultures of Whapeton is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yes, Vultures is great. That was slated for a film at one time.
Again it shows his ability to spin a tale in any setting.
Bran Mak Morn and Cormac Mac Art are also fun.
Cormac was a duo with his partner being the brawn of the two.

Great call on Vultures quozl.
There is a pirate also. Black Vulmea, I believe.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Any Arthur C. Clarke fans here?

I currently have his collected short stories out from the library, which weighs in at about 1000 pages. I got it to read A Meeting with Medusa as Alastair Reynolds (currently one of my favourite authors) and Stephen Baxter (I like some of his work) have written a sequel novel. It's a good story, and it was familiar enough once I got into it that I'm sure I've read it before, although I didn't remember much.

Before I take the book back, any other stories in particular I should check out?
Old September 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Speaking of Old Masters, I just got two free copies of the two volumes of Isaac Asimov's Short Stories. I don't plan to read right through them, but they'll now be around for judicious dipping.
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I never really read science fiction growing up, so I'm trying to get to them as I go. Usually it's slow because of library availability, but I'm reading I, Robot right now, and I've got the first Foundation (not counting the later prequels) on hold right now. I haven't got any Clark yet.

A recent one that I read was The Rest Of Us Just Live Here, by Patrick Ness. It's basically any young adult novel from the point of view of the regular kid. It lightly pokes fun at the whole young adult genre. I was hoping it would be a little heavier on the humor, but it was alright.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:13 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Several months ago, I finished Stormlight Archive Book 1, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I flew through this one, and, although the pace was slow for me at times, (despite the fact that I tend to enjoy a book with a slower pace), by the time I muscled through all 1000+ pages, I was thoroughly satisfied. Great start to the series.

After The Way of Kings, I decided to change it up, and go with another fantasy novel that's been highly recommended to me, this one being The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The first hundred pages of this book hooked me. I was sure I'd finish it in a week, two weeks top. I even ordered the sequel in advance. With my initial exposure, combined with the glowing recommendations from both friends and trusted literary critics, how could I go wrong?

And then I continued to read. And read. And read. And then I stopped. About 450 pages into the ~700 page novel, I was burnt out. For me, it wasn't the pacing at all, nor was it lack of immersion in Rothfuss's fantasy world, which is as fleshed out and authentic as I've seen. It was the protagonist, Kvothe.

I've never found myself actively rooting against a protagonist before, but, after getting deeper into NotW, it became a challenge for me to get over Kvothe's underlying hubris. At least, I think this is my problem with him. I still am not quite sure. But I know I don't like him, or, at least, his younger self. And it's enough to kill the book for me.

My failure to get through The Name of the Wind threw off my summer reading plan, which was already cast awry by an irregular work schedule. I still plan on finishing NotW in the future, but it isn't a high priority right now.

Currently, I'm reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. If you're unfamiliar, this book is best described as Canterbury Tales in Space. It's a darker flavor of Science Fiction, and certainly geared towards a mature audience, but I'm finding it enjoyable.

Right now, I have several books on the horizon, and I'm not sure where I will turn next after I finish Hyperion. I currently have the second Stormlight Archive waiting in the wings, which will probably be where I turn next. Although, given my current Sci-Fi kick, I could easily pick up the next book in the Hyperion Cantos soon, or possibly the second book in the Dune series. I still might get the itch to finish Name of the Wind soon, so that's a possibility as well.

And, of course, all these plans will be cast aside if The Winds of Winter somehow sees its release in the coming months, but realistically, what are the chances of that?

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:42 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Several months ago, I finished Stormlight Archive Book 1, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I flew through this one, and, although the pace was slow for me at times, (despite the fact that I tend to enjoy a book with a slower pace), by the time I muscled through all 1000+ pages, I was thoroughly satisfied. Great start to the series.

After The Way of Kings, I decided to change it up, and go with another fantasy novel that's been highly recommended to me, this one being The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The first hundred pages of this book hooked me. I was sure I'd finish it in a week, two weeks top. I even ordered the sequel in advance. With my initial exposure, combined with the glowing recommendations from both friends and trusted literary critics, how could I go wrong?

And then I continued to read. And read. And read. And then I stopped. About 450 pages into the ~700 page novel, I was burnt out. For me, it wasn't the pacing at all, nor was it lack of immersion in Rothfuss's fantasy world, which is as fleshed out and authentic as I've seen. It was the protagonist, Kvothe. Denna on the other hand, now she annoys me.

I've never found myself actively rooting against a protagonist before, but, after getting deeper into NotW, it became a challenge for me to get over Kvothe's underlying hubris. At least, I think this is my problem with him. I still am not quite sure. But I know I don't like him, or, at least, his younger self. And it's enough to kill the book for me.

My failure to get through The Name of the Wind threw off my summer reading plan, which was already cast awry by an irregular work schedule. I still plan on finishing NotW in the future, but it isn't a high priority right now.

Currently, I'm reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. If you're unfamiliar, this book is best described as Canterbury Tales in Space. It's a darker flavor of Science Fiction, and certainly geared towards a mature audience, but I'm finding it enjoyable.

Right now, I have several books on the horizon, and I'm not sure where I will turn next after I finish Hyperion. I currently have the second Stormlight Archive waiting in the wings, which will probably be where I turn next. Although, given my current Sci-Fi kick, I could easily pick up the next book in the Hyperion Cantos soon, or possibly the second book in the Dune series. I still might get the itch to finish Name of the Wind soon, so that's a possibility as well.

And, of course, all these plans will be cast aside if The Winds of Winter somehow sees its release in the coming months, but realistically, what are the chances of that?
I have read all of the Stormlight Archive books that are out. I love them all. It is definitely one of my top series. But then, so is Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles. It is funny how we all see things differently. Kvothe certainly didn't come across like that to me. He is a little full of himself sometimes but it seems like he always gets humbled in some way. I don't know, but I rather like him, and I love the series. Denna, on the other hand, I could live without.

I have pretty much given up on Winds of Winter.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; September 22nd, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:45 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I would like to read Stormlight Archive at some point, I just haven't gotten around to it. I have not read any Sanderson at all actually. But he seems really good.

Recently I reread A Series of Unfortunate Events in anticipation for the Netflix show, then got recommended Thomas Pynchon's books (who I think heavily inspired that series, now that I've actually read some of him), so I've been reading those.

I would also change any of my plans if Winds of Winter were announced, since I love the excitement around new releases, but I don't think it will be any time soon. And even if it is, I think it's more likely than not that he will announce he needs two more books to finish the series. So I doubt the books will ever be finished. The show is good, but more because it shows the scenes in the books. It's sad that will be the only real resolution we get to the story.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:57 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post

I would also change any of my plans if Winds of Winter were announced, since I love the excitement around new releases, but I don't think it will be any time soon. And even if it is, I think it's more likely than not that he will announce he needs two more books to finish the series. So I doubt the books will ever be finished. The show is good, but more because it shows the scenes in the books. It's sad that will be the only real resolution we get to the story.
I think that he has already stated that it would be three more books. And yes it is sad that the show will likely be the only resolution to the series. Frankly I'm a little bitter about it, as I've been reading the books for many years, long before there was a show.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I'm on the home stretch of A Civil Campaign from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I love this series.

I'm also working on The Martian by Andy Weir, and Wolves of the Calla from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm really enjoying The Martian. The Dark Tower is an interesting one for me. I want to know what happens, and I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it.
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I'm on the home stretch of A Civil Campaign from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I love this series.

I'm also working on The Martian by Andy Weir, and Wolves of the Calla from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm really enjoying The Martian. The Dark Tower is an interesting one for me. I want to know what happens, and I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it.
Way back in the day when I was first getting in to reading, the Dark Tower was one of my first series. I stopped reading after book four because book five didn't arrive until much later. I really enjoyed the story back then. Although my taste has changed over the years I need to pick it up and finish it someday.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books