Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:16 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Porting AotP Into Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I was thinking if you divided the cost by life, you could essentially draft the number of squads equal to AotP life and it would cost the same. I think AotP squads are too cheap this way though, and almost would require doubling the cost per life, so 2 life figures such as Illusionary Projections and Pummelroot Elementals would cost the same, but 3 life figures such as Rhox Veterans or Elf Rangers would cost 2/3 of AotP cost, but the 1 life squads don't work out with that math. so I dunno.

That got me to thinking, what if in Heroscape each common squad you only had one of, but you could pay multiples of it to have multiple life squad figures. For instance, if you had 5 squads lives of Marro Stingers, you would only have 3 figures on the board at all times, but each one would have 5 lives that you would track individually. I think the advantage of not having to bring out reinforcements from the start zone would about equal the disadvantage if an attack has more than one skull over your shields you would be loosing lives faster than common figures. Anyway, that is how one could port Scape into AotP, rather than AotP into Scape.
I like this idea. And I know that this isn’t exactly what you are talking about but I wonder if anyone like the smart folks responsible for C3V, SOV, HOSS, and C3G could come up with a way to take, say all the RotV squads, and assign them a color, number of lives, and possibly even change their abilities, and create new cards in order to make them truly compatible with AotP. In other words, just make AotP customs out of our official Heroscape figures. This way we would have so much more to work with and could wait much more patiently for official WotC releases.
I think it is a function of scale and audience. On the one hand there are over 200? units in scape which would be a sever undertaking to re-work. Since AotP has launched there has been a steady stream, but it is easier to port those figures over rather than the other way around.

The second is audience. I'm guessing most people around here like Scape more than AotP. For one I really believe the order marker system is one of the best parts of Scape. Again it seems easier to just use the rules I inspired and TREX clarified and throw the planeswalkers right into the mix with the 4th and Romans.
These are GREAT IDEAS - I love the fact that our "group think" discussion is inspiring creativity. BRAVO!

Meanwhile, I only bought HS:RotV to use the unique 3D terrain pieces with other war gaming miniatures, but eventually embraced the fantastical concept of Valhalla when I connected with the Eastern Pennsylvania group that was running monthly tournaments and Common Squads where already beginning to dominate the battlefields. I get the whole super-Hero concept with the special abilities, but would have preferred seeing generic leaders (i.e. sergeants, lieutenants, captains, etc.) instead of all the named characters that now exist.

And I've always hated the Order Marker system of activations. IMHO: it turns a 'battle' away from being a coordinated attack by several units with interdependent and mutually supportive capabilities into a Tag-Team wrestling match. Come to think of it, why didn't Hasbro produce WWF figures for HS. They may have only appealed to niche market segment, but would have fit right in with the current mix.

For my future HeroScape games, I am hoping to implement an activation system that forces every unit to be involved. The first unit to move and engage the enemy can not do so again until after the last unit has also done so, which would only occur during the NEXT ROUND. There will be a separate OM for each unit. I've recently played Bolt Action and The Gates Of Antares and really like their activation process enough to adopt it for HS. The dice can be purchased separately for few dollars.

I have never played Magic: The Gathering and I am not a fan of any deck-building games, so the whole idea behind MtG:AotP does not excite me. I've tried it a few times and can't get used to the Spell Cards influencing the combat. However, last week I did buy four (4) more AotP sets (my total now is 8 ), because they were on clearance at my local Walmart for only $15.00. It was worth it to me just to get the new tan terrain pieces. The rest of the stuff will be at my next yard sale to hopefully recoup some of this investment.

All that I really still want from Atop is a C3V custom card for Chandra, Gideon, Jace, Liliana, and Nissa.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; August 2nd, 2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Kormeked tripoes

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender