Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old May 10th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Post El_T's Dice Probability (Updated 11/11/2013)

My searches on this topic didn't come up with anything of the like, so here goes. Hopefully you find this helpful in experiments, theoryscape, and just general knowledge of the game.

Attack Dice
Defense Dice
More or Less

Queglix Gun SA:
Also note that I will be adding my experiments that I have conducted/will conduct to this thread when possible.

Last edited by El T; November 11th, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added Queglix Gun SA: Squad Figures
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: El_T's Dice Probability

Okay, so you are showing a fairly complicated way to calculate the odds of rolling a given number of skills.

I'm unclear what the practical benefit is here or what you are trying to prove. Would love to see more however.

Boone Chance.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Attack Dice

I was in the process of doing some calculations for an experiment I'm currently conducting (I'll link you to it here when it's complete) and I had to calculate probabilities of outcomes of dice rolls. I was changing the variables of defense dice rolled, and separately, attack dice rolled. I used tree charts to determine fractional values for the probability of rolling a certain amount of skulls depending on the amount of dice rolled, and the same for defense dice. This was all fine and dandy until I got up to four dice. That took a LOT of paper to figure that one out. Five was nearly impossible. But I was really interested in this, and determined to prove my thesis. So at some point, I pulled out my handy dandy ol' TI-Nspire and plugged my current data into some tables. I began to notice some patterns...

For instance, notice how the probability of rolling zero skulls is always the same as rolling all skulls? And the probabilities increase as you approach the middle number of skulls? This is because on a die, there are 3 skulls out of 6 sides, so the ratio is 1/2. The median, as I refer to it, is always at the 'middle' amount of skulls rolled. (e.g. 2 skulls out of 4 dice or 1 skull out of 2 dice)

In my table, you'll notice, I refer to dice rolled as the term dn, where n is the amount of dice rolled. This is just because I couldn't use subscript in the table, so it really should look like Dn. (I notice I also can't use subscript in the forums, so the smaller font will have to do) In formulas, I will use the same concept for skulls rolled, as Sn.

Regardless, a formula for 0 skulls rolled can be expressed as such: (d being the independent variable of the amount of dice rolled)

To take advantage of the pattern of S0=Sd, (Sd being the probability of rolling the same amount of skulls as dice) one can use the very same formula as above to find the probability of rolling all skulls.

Now, to figure out S1 and Sd-1, it gets a tad trickier. Since the relationship between S0 and S1 varies as the amount of dice rolled varies, as shown in the table above, I knew I had to multiply the formula for S0 by a factor containing a variable. Since in D0 S0=1 and S1=0; and in D1 S0=1/2 and S1=1/2; and in D2 S0=1/4 and S1=1/2; you notice that S0 is always being multiplied by the value of d.
Therefore, the formula for S1 and Sd-1 is as follows:

After that, a pattern begins to emerge for skull probability as the amount of skulls one is solving for increases. Look at the probabilities for the next two skull values:

Therefore, the 'formula' for devising formulas for probability in attack dice is:

This may be a bit confusing, I may not be so great at explaining this all efficiently. I'll show you the fractional probabilities of all skull values, for dice 0 through 10.

For practical purposes, I didn't find it necessary to calculate beyond ten dice. If it's really necessary to determine the probabilities for more than ten dice, well that's why the "formula for formulas" that I explained earlier to come in handy.

Last edited by El T; May 12th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I'm unclear what the practical benefit is here or what you are trying to prove.
Fair point. The reason I came up with these was to aid in an experiment I was doing that involves calculating odds of particular outcomes of particular scenarios, and that involves calculating dice roll probabilities. I figure that if other people do things like that, might come in handy.
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but is this what you're doing?

Last edited by Sir Yeshua; May 11th, 2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: That's Sisyphus' Probability Tables, in case you were wondering.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
Meh. I suppose that's pretty similar.
To my credit, though, I devised and explained a formula for it...
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_T-Steff View Post
Quote:
The formula is at the bottom of the posts, however I think your explanation is excellent. I really appreciate the work you did, Looking forward to seeing the Same treatment of the defense dice.

- to be added to the library.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The formula is at the bottom of the posts, however I think your explanation is excellent. I really appreciate the work you did, Looking forward to seeing the Same treatment of the defense dice.

That thread is pretty similar to your thread El_T but it is always good to have a different thread that is a little different from the others.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Bugger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm. I guess i probably should have read that article all the way through before defending myself, eh?

But anyway thanks wriggz, I figure I have no reason to stop putting my data up.
I can't right now, because most of my browsing on the site is from my phone (as i am right now) and I can only really use the screenshots and such from my computer.

Last edited by El T; May 12th, 2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Phone didn't save my text when i finished typing, ended up just repeating the quotes
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That thread is pretty similar to your thread El_T but it is always good to have a different thread that is a little different from the others.
Thanks NS, I think you're right.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Bugger

Defense Dice

The formula for defense dice is very similar in some ways to the formula for attack, it's just a bit more complicated because the median (which i refer to in my Attack Dice article)
Quote:
For instance, notice how the probability of rolling zero skulls is always the same as rolling all skulls? And the probabilities increase as you approach the middle number of skulls? This is because on a die, there are 3 skulls out of 6 sides, so the ratio is 1/2. The median, as I refer to it, is always at the 'middle' amount of skulls rolled. (e.g. 2 skulls out of 4 dice or 1 skull out of 2 dice)
... is 1/3 of the way through the data, unlike attack dice in which the median is dead center. This is because, as you all know, there are two shields on a die out of 6 sides. therefore the ratio of shields to blanks is 1/3.

My process for deciphering the defense dice probability formula basically goes along the same lines as my attack dice formula, so I won't bore you with the details.
I will, however, explain in great detail my findings.

Since the defense dice median is off-center, for lack of a better term, S1 does not equal Sd-1. There still are formulas for Sd-n that I figured out, but it isn't nearly as helpful to use them for defense dice.

Anyways, here are the formulas for the first 4 shield values:

Notice the pattern?

The 'formula for the formula' is:

As I said, similar to attack dice.

The full set of probabilities for dice 0 through 10 is this:

Last edited by El T; May 13th, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Done!
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good stuff Wish I was good at math like this

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles