Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 31st, 2008, 04:05 AM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Kozuke Samurai

I just recently got these guys for Christmas this year, and was very glad that I chose to get them. My buddies and I just finished an epic 2v2v2 battle, and it ended with a close battle between a few champion-less knights vs NotNW vs a few elves. The elves ended up winning.

Anyway, I was really doubtful about these guys. A 100 point unique squad with only three defense and no defensive support from any abilities. Therefore, at first, I was really hesitant about sending them forward, especially with one of my opponents posted up on an elevated spot with his Krav Maga Agents down one side of the map. Each turn, I moved up the Kozuke Samurai without trying to attract attention from his Krav Maga Agents. Then, before he knew it, I was 8 spaces away, and within range of using their Charging Assault to get in range. I wiped out my opponent's entire Krav Maga Squad in one OM with the Kozuke Samurai, and then proceeded to put 3 wounds on Major Q10.

Talk about getting your points worth! I successfully took out my opponent's anti-range squad, and then almost took out his Q10, all with a 100 point unique squad.

The trick with these guys, I found, was to slowly creep up on your opponent without trying to attract a whole lot of attention to them (ex: putting multiple order markers on them, making your opponent aware of charging assault), and then strike your opponent's vulnerable units when he doesn't realize that his units are within range of the Kozuke Samurai.

I guess when you look at them being a Unique Squad with only 3 defense, you tend to overlook that they have an amazing threat range of 8, and an attack of 5. These guys are perfect against other Unique Squads and Heroes as well. They wouldn't work so well against Mob Squads such as Knights, 4th, 10th, etc., because they'd more than likely not get their points worth after the initial assault, since they'd be surrounded with only 3 DEF.

Well, it's 3 in the morning now, and I was so pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Kozuke Samurai that I felt obligated to share it here on Heroscapers. I hope that you've all had a good experience with these guys, and perhaps this will be encouragement for some of you to bring out a unit that doesn't get played as much.
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Great report, Gomolka. I wish I could say I've had similar experiences with the Kozuke, especially since the one with his swords spread is one of my favorite sculpts in the game, but they never seem to work for me. Even on those occasions when I manage to charge all three of them into juicy targets (a job made easier by Ticalla Jungle) their 5 attack never seems to come up with a big hit. I've even whiffed a couple of times.

Ah well, I'll never stop trying with these guys.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like to pair them up with KA and move them all together as a unit. I keep KA in the front and the Koz Sam a few spots back, safely out of range. Then I hit targets with KAs 7 range attack until my opponent sends someone out to deal with him. I can just blitz those guys out once that happens for 3 attacks of 5 dice, which tends to kill off or at least slow down the charge. They also lock up the attacking force so KA can start using his double attack effectively without the risk of getting engaged. This is my defensive use for them.

When I want to use them for offense, I send them out solo and reserve the 3rd order marker to move them with. This allows me to bring them up into poisiton last and unnoticed. Then once they are within a range of 8, I throw the 1 and 2 order marker on them and hope I win initiative. They are pretty effective at taking out some ranged attack units that way. In this capacity you know they are on a sucide run but that's what they are built for.
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

In short, this squad is in fact a "cavalry squad". Who says the samurai don't have cavalry? The Kosuke are simply not mounted on horses (or equivalent), but their playability is as a cavalry. Players see the Templars, etc., and plan accordingly, but the Kosukes can trick you if you forgot that they can get to you sooner than most ground units.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I've been using these guys as an effective Q9 counter. With charging assault they can pretty much attack from outside of the quiggly gun's range. You can either send one in to attack while keeping the other two eight spaces away getting one attack of 5 in and forcing Q9 to attack you and then sending in another one repeating the process, or just rush all three and get off 3 attacks of 5. Either way the hurt Q9 pretty bad.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker

Actually, KotM, I was about to say the same thing. They are one of my favorite army cards, and are perfect for any high-defense unit. Pick a target, maneuver them around, kill it, and then do any bonus damage. More often than not, they earn at about their point value, if not more.

For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, ...authorities, ...the world powers of this darkness, ...the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. Ephesians 6:12.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

"Kozuke's Counter Strike is negated is against other Samurai."

That's a rule?! Where is that officially stated? I never knew that! Does this mean that Samurai are invulnerable toall figures' Counter Strike abilities?

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst9 View Post
Actually, KotM, I was about to say the same thing. They are one of my favorite army cards, and are perfect for any high-defense unit. Pick a target, maneuver them around, kill it, and then do any bonus damage. More often than not, they earn at about their point value, if not more.
I second this. These guys rock. Counter Strike, extra move, they are definately worth 100 points.

Old March 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post

That's a rule?! Where is that officially stated? I never knew that! Does this mean that Samurai are invulnerable toall figures' Counter Strike abilities?
Have you never read the card?

And no...only the Samurai's cards that have counterstrike say that.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Um, on their card. Read the last line of Counter Stirke:

Charos' Counter Strike DOES work against Samurai.

Old March 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Ah, I see. Pretty much, I read the power a couple times until I memorize it, then never have to read it again. I haven't read a Counter Stirke in about a year.

0_0 Charos has 9 life? Shocking.

Old March 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Ah, I see. Pretty much, I read the power a couple times until I memorize it, then never have to read it again. I haven't read a Counter Stirke in about a year.

0_0 Charos has 9 life? Shocking.
Your memorization seems to not serve you very well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units