Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Robber's maps- NEW MAP 3/3/11!

I like the suggestion and did that on the prototype of the map, before playtesting and building on Virtualscape.

My problem was the choke points. But I wanted the rock outcroppings out of the way, keeping away choke points, while at the same time keeping range from sniping the glyphs from the highest point(s). That problem came up on many maps I have played.

I respect your opinion, but I just think that moving the outcroppings has more cons than pros and that the way I have it now is the best solution.

Also, I really have to thank you for playing my map!
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got a PM from Dad_Scaper advising on LoS placement. And I realized I needed some small adjustments on this after my last game. The first adjustment needed was to get the LoS blockers in front of the 2-hexes by the starting zone. The ranged figures had an easy time sniping down melee figures in the road lanes. This was pointed out by Dad_Scaper in his PM. The second was the easy dragon/raelin perches these 2-hexes made.

I had a (proxy) nilfheim mow squads down on this perch, and had raelin sit back behind a swarm of DCoT. Both were nasty to face, and the figures could land there turn 1. I don't even want to think about a Q9, Braxas, Hydra, or even a charos sitting on that 2-hex space.

So I decided to move the height one last time to the locations shown in the map below. The twist was that I put the LoS blocker on top of the height, making it a 1-hex. I realize that bacon can sit there, but it eliminates her aura on the road lane.

So I have some LoS pictures with marro warriors to show what they can and cannot hit.

The first 2 are from the highest points. I think the rock outcroppings block the glyphs nicely. The one thing I would like is for them to block the hexes of road paralell to the starting zones.
Spoiler Alert!

And the other two are the spaces on level 3 that are the closest to the starting zones. They block most or all of their respective road lane.
Spoiler Alert!

And last but not least, the download for my map and the picture.

Tagawa Steppes v2.2 (link soon- my PDF printer is making me reinstall it for some reason).

Pictures-
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Edit- and I just noticed a flaw, so I will switch the solitary water on each side with the shadow in between the outcropping and the lower shadow tile. So the picture will be wrong but the PDF will have correct instructions. Thank you!

Edit2- So my PDF printer reinstalled, and it still isn't working. When I click "print" the file tab minimizes, but nothing happens and when I check the adobe pdf printer status, it says "0 files in queue."

Last edited by Robber; March 14th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: AAAUUUGGGHHH
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Promising Cartographer

I have been playing around on virtualscape for a while, trying to make an epic castle that doesn't let range dominate. I came up with more of a "staircase" design where there are walls that block all LoS on figures outside of the castle. Here is the end result.

There is a glyph of thorian in the middle and two attack glyphs on either end.

I also want to add 2 anti-flying glyphs in the starting zones and 2 move glyphs in the center.

Requires 20 RotV, 37 FotA, and 2 RttFF (trees only)
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Promising Cartographer

Sneak preview on my next map!

The goal of this map was to have two hills on either end of the map, and a road connecting them.

So basically its like Monochromatic.

The problems with Monochromatic were-

1. Dragon perches on each end
2. Not enough LoS blockers (ugh)
3. It was small, allowing for Z-bombs and ranged attacks too early in the game.
4. Glyphs not balanced as well as possible.

So this map, which is 2 BftU, 1 FotA, solves these problems. It has 2 spaces of height on each end; more LoS blockers, especially in front of the 2-hexes.

What I like most about it is that melee figures can run up to the top of the hill without being sniped. It boosts melee even more. But the best part is the battlement placement. It really helps make figures move around more. But I'll get into that later.

If you want to see a picture, post. I'm getting the virtualscape set up now. Unfortunately, I'm not including a download until I've playtested it enough.
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker
Re: Robber's maps- NEW MAP 3/16/11!

That castle is awesome! I would love playing on that, but the only problem is I'm 19 RotV, 36 FotA, and a RttFF short. Can't wait to see the next map though!
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Promising Cartographer

Yeah, I haven't had time to finish virtualscaping it. Dang battlements take forever

But it'll be up tomorrow.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Promising Cartographer

Here we go!!! My new map is up!

Rupture- Requires 2 BftU and 1 FotA.

The link is going to be up soon- I'm about to have my dad take a look at my PDF printer software. (Edit- done!)

Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Robber; March 18th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM

machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker
Re: Robber's maps- Rupture- New Map!!!

Nice.

I like the looks of both Tagawa Steppes and Rupture. I'll try them out as soon as I get my second MS3.
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Promising Cartographer

Yeah. The second Ms3 is why I made these. I won my second at a tournament and have been experimenting with the x2 DnD, expanion maps.

I want to try lava next, but I don't have the set. DONATIONS TAKEN!!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Rapture looks like with an extra MS or SotM you could make a sweet 4 player map.

ymf
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Robber, you clearly specialize in beautiful flying-wing-shaped maps. Making radially symmetrical maps is simple, but bilaterally symmetrical ones? Man, those are difficult. Or rather, they're really easy -- as long as you don't use the 24-hex tiles.

Yet that's exactly what you were doing. Staring at the pics, I couldn't figure out how they were constructed. I had to download some build instructions to understand.

We always play four-player games at my place, so need largish maps. But Dungeon Dunes looks gorgeous, and seems big enough to accommodate our huge 2x2 combined armies. I'll tack extra hexes on the ends to increase the startzing zones, and give it a whirl in a couple of weeks!

Last edited by Typhon2222; March 26th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Promising Cartographer

Thursday, I figured I'd make a new map with the "wing" shape. Before I always just replicated the other continent with 7, 3, 2, and 1 hexes. It was pretty costly terrain-wise on BftU and SotM sets which don't have many smaller hexes.

I looked at Embattled Fen's symmetrics while I was playtesting it for the MfN and learned I can use 2 continents, 2 7-hexes, and 2 1-hexes to make symmetrical starting zones. So I made it and give credit for the starting zones to Gamebear.

Thanks, Gamebear! (Plus you, Typhon, for posting )

Anyway, a new wing-shaped map will be here by the end of the weekend. It uses x2 BftU and 1 FotA, pretty much only for the battlements and road. I don't know if I need more LoS blockers, but I haven't tested range yet. I should go do that...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios