Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:17 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness
How Balanced Are These Armies Against Each Other?

I'm hosting a game this weekend with new(ish) players. It's going to be 4 players in 2 teams on Cross Trails 3.0 and my plan is to build several 500(ish) point armies for people to choose from. Wanting to ensure that these armies are fairly balanced against one another:

Army 1:
Cathar Spearmen x4
Count Raymond x1
Airborne Elite x1
Total Points: 500

Army 2:
Heavy Gruts x4
Grimnak
Nerak
Me Burq Sa

Army 3:
Arrow Gruts x4
Swog x4
Krug
Mimring
Total Points: 530

Army 4:
Blade Gruts x5
Grimnak
Tornak
Nerak
Marro Warriors
Total Points: 520

Army 5
Tor-Kul-Na
Nagrubs x5
Kaeomen Awa
Isamu
(I'm considering swapping Kaeomen/Isamu for PK x2)
Total Points: 500 (or 510 with the PK swap)

Army 6
4th Mass x4
Alistair
Sgt Drake

Army 7
Zombies x5
Zombie Hulk x2
Raelin RotV

Army 8
Akmer
Emiroon
Syvarris
Raelin RotV
Kyntella
Haduc
Ashra x1
Theracus (considering swapping with 2nd Ashra, but Theracus seems like he'd help this army a ton)
Total Points: 520

Army 9
Ranjit Singh
Eltihale
Krav Maga
Fen Hydra

As the most experienced player, I'm likely going to take one of the weaker armies (Zombies, Ranjit, Tor-Kul-Na, or Elves). What do you all think? Is there enough balance between these 4 armies? I know the Elves are perhaps the weakest but if the teammate plays a meat-shield army (Zombies, Blades, Heavies, Cathar) I think they could be OK. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:23 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: How Balanced Are These Armies Against Each Other?

Those look pretty sweet, should be very close to balanced, at least as close as you’d want for a big casual game.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Rooting for team #7.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 10:48 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Those look pretty sweet, should be very close to balanced, at least as close as you’d want for a big casual game.
Echo this!

I notice, however, that Cross Trails v.3 provides only 12 SZ spaces for each player.... So am guessing you're planning on expanding the SZs?
Old February 23rd, 2022, 10:50 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

My favorite way to play 4-player 2-on-2 is to simply use a standard map, play with 360-point armies (so, 720 per side), and add a few extra hexes to the back of the SZ if needed (usually not).
Old February 24th, 2022, 01:16 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, I'm going to expand the start zones if need be. Btw, Stigmata looks gorgeous. That may be the one I use next time
Old February 24th, 2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Yeah, I'm going to expand the start zones if need be. Btw, Stigmata looks gorgeous. That may be the one I use next time
Thanks for the kind words, @Knox . Glad that Stigmata appeals to you!
Old February 28th, 2022, 06:45 PM

Update: The battle was epic. 2 Teams of 3 for a 6 player death-match, with vastly expanded start zones

Team 1:
Army 1: Cathar Spearmen x3, Marcus, Airborne (Rob - played once before)
Army 2: Braxas, Marro Hive, Marro Stingers x3 (Amy Rob's gf. Never played)
Army 3: Zombies x5, Zombie Hulk x2, Krav (Me)

Team 2:
Army 4: Arrow Gruts x5, Swog x4, Krug, Mimring (Brother - played a bunch as a kid)
Army 5: Izumi x2, Q10, Eltihale, Calibrax (Friend Jackson - played twice before)
Army 6: Heavies x3, Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak (my gf Bri - never played).

All armies steadily advanced to start the game. I'd given all players the strategy breakdown for their armies, and told them not to rush in before getting all their units in position. Rob (Cathar Spearmen) & Bri (Heavy Gruts) took that advice to heart the most

Arrow Grut Army drew first blood, rushing in to attack the Spearmen. After setting up just 2-3 swogs and a few gruts, Owen was out for blood. A few spearmen died, but not many. Spearmen were slowly closing the gap

Next major move: Amy threw her Braxas up into a vulnerable position to wipe out the arrow gruts sniping her bf's spearmen. It was a mostly successful foray, but on the next turn Jackson rushed Q10 up and dealt 7 wounds to Braxas. Braxas retreated and Team 2 was feeling pretty victorious

But then the spearmen closed the gap and started taking the arrow gruts to task. Meanwhile, I had mostly developed my zombies (was a little slow - forgot to move all 6 for the first few turns while I was helping everyone) and I got a lucky strike on Q10 dealing 2 wounds.

In the next couple rounds, Braxas would die, Amy's stingers would kill off Q10, and the spearmen would absolutely crush Owen's poorly positioned arrow gruts. Mimring and Krug hadnt even been developed, and a full squad was still in the rear useless. The zombies started going to work on the heavy gruts - it was slow (2 attack against 3-5 defense) but progress was being made.

Then the game started to turn (at least on my front). Bri had worked her heavies into a perfect position - high ground, bonuses from all 3 orc champions in the rear, and my zombies were uselss. I stopped doing any damage to her orcs, and she slowly ground my army to powder.

We called the game as a win for team 1 because the hour was getting late. Rob (Spearmen) had soundly defeated Owen (Arrow Gruts), Amy (Stingers) was whittling down the Gruts, Jackson (heroes) had hardly developed but would've packed a potent punch, and I still had the Krav. Bri was down to 4 gruts but had all 3 heroes and had convincingly won our battle. In retrospect I think it was closer to even, but the fact that Rob had most of his spearmen army still in tact and Amy still hadn't lost a single stinger swung it our way.
Old February 28th, 2022, 07:14 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That sounds awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion