Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old February 7th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I would like to resubmit my Drow Assassin:

Text version:
Spoiler Alert!

Changes from last time:
Shadow Shift can now only target friendly Drow figures.
Drow Assassinate now uses the X order marker, and adds +2 attack. I did this because I want the assassin to be appealing next to the Drow Chain Fighter, who has 2 more defense. Other than the extra turn from the XOM, you can now have a once per round execution attempt on a high value target, or just whatever happens to be annoying you at the moment. The Chain Fighter is still more consistent with it's higher defense, but the utility of Shadow Shift, and the potential of combining assassinate with a Chain Grab is highly appealing.

Figure used is Lolth's Sting #53, and Lolth's Sting '05 Gameday Promo
Availibility:

16 - TrollandToad
13 - Coolstuffinc
41 - RPGLocker
5 - GameHollow
17 - NobleKnight
A LOT - eBay
I still have around 100 of the figure here at my house to sell to anyone interested.

For those that weren't around for the my first iteration of this design, I bought around 130 of the figure to ensure that there would be enough of them to submit. I don't recommend doing this. I have sat on these figures for literally 4 years.

Last edited by Leaf_It; February 8th, 2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: adding information/ fixing typos.
Old February 7th, 2022, 12:31 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

What's the figure name/originating series?
Old February 7th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
What's the figure name/originating series?
Sorry, I should have included that.
Figure used is Lolth's Sting #53, and Lolth's Sting '05 Gameday Promo.
I have edited that info into the submission.
Old February 7th, 2022, 01:33 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Drow Cleaning Service

I don't love the power name Drow Assassinate, but everything else looks solid to me. Once a round 6 attack could be annoying, but it's not like the Drow are a world breaking army. This looks mostly like a nice filler piece for them.

~Dysole, with her first SoV vote
Old February 7th, 2022, 01:37 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

from D&D's Underdark? 2005, a long time ago then.
Old February 7th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Not all of the issues that caused the previous version of the Drow Assassin to fail were addressed, but a design that overtly makes an existing unit/faction stronger is always going to have detractors. The changes to Shadow Shift are excellent (though I don't love allowing it before or after, it feels like it's trying to hard to cover all weaknesses), including reducing the number of times Drow Assassinate can proc. This combination of powers makes the unit outside of Drow armies, but I'm not bothered by that.

to review the Drow Assassin
Old February 7th, 2022, 03:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I wonder how often, during playtesting, "Drow Assassinate" was used for some purpose other than attacking a high value target. I imagine that power is very helpful for repositioning, grabbing glyphs, activating from the rear, or trying to eliminate some low-defense figure from the front, rather than assassinating at the rear.

I see the theme "assassinate" but the mechanics make me wonder if it plays that way.

The mini is holding a rapier, correct? Does it look like an assassin?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to talk through the issues I'm seeing at first glance.

I like Shadow Shift (sharing Scy's preference for making it before *or* after, not both) and I like the mini. I'm just not in love with the assassin power or theme (or power name, as dysole said).

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 7th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I see the theme "assassinate" but the mechanics make me wonder if it plays that way.
I had similar thoughts as to Assassinate's utility, but I suspect the power's +2 Attack boost will tempt players to use it for attacking most of the time. Won't really know without playtesting, though, and I would downvote the unit if the power tried to force the attack to occur.
Old February 7th, 2022, 03:34 PM

The SoV is proud to announce its first 2022 inductee, Olog by @The Long eared bat !

Here's the PDF for easy printing.

Last edited by superfrog; February 7th, 2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old February 7th, 2022, 04:09 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Weaponry

Looks too thick to be a rapier. It is the kind of weapon I would expect to see from an assassin. The pose for me at least helps sell it as an assassin.

~Dysole, not completely sure how she feels about Shadow Shift but they are all playtesting concerns
Old February 7th, 2022, 04:14 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Am I reading/understanding this interaction correctly?

By my understanding, it is possible (after developing some Deepwyrm Drow or Chainfighters into position) to reveal a numbered OM on an Assassin, move 6 normally, Shadow Shift, then reveal the X with Drow Assassinate to take another turn with the same Assassin, move normally and Shift again, before attacking with 6? That's 22 spaces of movement, 10 of which effectively ignores terrain.

That might be something I have a problem with.

Edit: Ninja'd by Olog. Congrats @The Long eared bat !

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old February 7th, 2022, 04:20 PM

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Am I reading/understanding this interaction correctly?

By my understanding, it is possible (after developing some Deepwyrm Drow or Chainfighters into position) to reveal a numbered OM on an Assassin, move 6 normally, Shadow Shift, then reveal the X with Drow Assassinate to take another turn with the same Assassin, move normally and Shift again, before attacking with 6? That's 22 spaces of movement, 10 of which effectively ignores terrain.

That might be something I have a problem with.

Edit: Ninja'd by Olog. Congrats @The Long eared bat !
Yes, that is in fact a thing you can do and that does make me pause. I do wonder how easy that is to set up. Is it worth it for a single attack of 6? I don't know. Sometimes yeah, but it is doing 2-2.5 wounds against a hero of 3 depending on whether or not you can get height. If Drow Assassin self bonding wasn't tested, I'm probably changing my vote to a no.

~Dysole, suspecting that it might be fine but that's a big leap (pun kinda intended)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs