Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old September 11th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
One thing I don't get: If they're trying to keep costs down and that's why they're going unpainted, then why are they also trying to produce the most detailed minis on the market and seemingly hired every famous mini sculptor in the world to pitch in? Surely that has to be very expensive too.

I would still rather have minis with basic sculpts and paint jobs like we used to get, even if the paint quality wasn't as high.
I'd guess it's a result of the changing industry. The cost of painting miniatures by hand has increased since 2004, while the software and tooling techniques necessary for producing highly detailed miniatures has advanced, bringing down the cost to model those style of miniatures.
Old September 11th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I would imagine getting a prototype sculpt is going to cost a certain minimum amount for any quality, and the cost of getting a really good one doesn't raise that cost as much as we would think. Mass production is where a large part of the cost shows up, and paint costs more in this production model. To cut costs and keep the finished product as close to the original at a reasonable price...paint just might be the biggest place to shave those costs.

Just my uninformed
Old September 11th, 2022, 06:43 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I imagine Hasbro feels that having more, highly detailed figures, is more likely to over-fund than a lesser number of lower quality, yet painted figures.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 11th, 2022, 07:14 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I hope packaging costs have been cut too. The blisters were clearly for catching eyes at big box marts. For AoA, I suggest Cardboard boxes all around, not even printed, just some guy at the packaging department writing 'Heroscape: Unique expansion: Parrots and Pirates' witha Sharpie is fine with me if it saves a buck each. Bonus points for a silly joke like what Colby & co. put on the Summoner Wars packs. Hot Jungle Death!
Edit so I don't double-post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Monday should be fun. I’m going to watch all the scalpers on eBay lose their minds.
That sounds like open pre-orders to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:05 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Quote:
Monday should be fun. I’m going to watch all the scalpers on eBay lose their minds.
Monday they are going to talk about terrain.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Quote:
Monday they are going to talk about terrain.
Could be both? But I'm expecting the campaign fundraising to begin around Oct 1 alongside the big announcement.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:30 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Regarding minimalist (cheaper) packaging, I remember the WotC employees openly talking about that on this site circa 2010/2011. They mentioned how the transparent blister packaging was pricey, and they teased (I think) a sand/desert/rock terrain expansion in a more ordinary box. I wholly expect Avalon Hill to go that route for the first set (at least) which will be primarily online orders that don't need that shelf wow-factor.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:33 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Maybe we'll get some sort of price idea with that scalper comment being made.

Upset City Baby.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:41 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Regarding minimalist (cheaper) packaging, I remember the WotC employees openly talking about that on this site circa 2010/2011. They mentioned how the transparent blister packaging was pricey, and they teased (I think) a sand/desert/rock terrain expansion in a more ordinary box. I wholly expect Avalon Hill to go that route for the first set (at least) which will be primarily online orders that don't need that shelf wow-factor.
Ditching the plastic blister packs and going with cardboard boxes would also be better for the environment, so let's hope that's how AoA will go.
Old September 11th, 2022, 08:54 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Hasbro is doing away with the plastic in all the action figure packaging, its a certainty HeroScape will not have boosters with big plastic bubbles or boxes with windows. Besides, unpainted minis don't have the wow factor that the original boosters did so there is no need to show them through the packaging.
Old September 11th, 2022, 10:51 PM

gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Hasbro is doing away with the plastic in all the action figure packaging, its a certainty HeroScape will not have boosters with big plastic bubbles or boxes with windows. Besides, unpainted minis don't have the wow factor that the original boosters did so there is no need to show them through the packaging.
A very likely albeit depressing guess lol

I get it's better for the environment, logistics, profit margin, and every other measurable factor but what about the nostalgia!
Old September 11th, 2022, 11:25 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

They are going to continue to have a bubble for a few display items, like the retro carded figures. But I have already been buying regular series Marvel Legends figures in the windowless boxes. Most of the GI Joe and Star Wars figures I have pre-ordered will be in the new windowless boxes too, so its a universal thing for Hasbro.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion