Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM

shadow_111 is surprisingly tart
Heroscape's Untold Basis

Hello, fellow 'scapers.

I have a theory about the origin of Heroscape. I've looked it up, and I don't think anyone has presented this before. I started doing a research paper on the peloponnesian war a while back, and everything about the war sounded vaguely familiar. I went back, checked my sources, and now I'm pleased to present the Peloponnesian War Heroscape theory.

First of all, we all know the war was between the city states of Athens and Sparta. The reason this war came about was that Athens controlled all the trade routes, and was slowly gaining control of the entire Greek world through financial means. Sparta and the city states of Boetia, Corinth and Macedonia (which was actually a seperate country), wouldn't stand for it. They Formed an alliance, and declared war on Athens. After many years of fighting, Athens realized the only way to win the war was by taking the island of Sicily. If they succeeded, they would control a valuable trading point, and a strategic position. If they failed, they would most likely lose the war. Once the got a position on the island, they quickly realized they didn't have enough cavalry to defeat their enemy. They failed at their Sicilian campaign. Sparta soon after obtained the help of Persian mercenaries.

The stated of Athens, Sparta, Boetia, Corinth, and Macedonia can be easily compared to the genarals Utgar, Jandar, Ullar, Einar, and Vydar respectively. The reason for this is as follows:

Utgar is Athens because he wishes to control all wellsprings, just as Athens wished to control all trade routes. Utgar and Athens are both on their own in a war against several other stated. Athen's army was also poorly trained. Utgar has several units, such as the Orcs or Marro, that seem to be poorly trained, as you need many of them to succeed.

Jandar is Sparta because he is the main force against Utgar, but is backed up by several other generals.

Vydar is Macedonia because they are both unreliable allies. Macedonia and Vyder both tried to stay as nuetral as possible, but both engaged in the war on the side of the primary fighter for independence.

Einar is Corinth. This is slightly less obvious. Corinth (Einar) toward the beginning of the war fought on the side of Athens (Utgar). After being impressed by Sparta (Jandar) by their power in war, Corinth (Einar) joined forces with Sparta (Jandar). As we all know, Einar currently fights for Jandar. But his allegiance with Utgar at the beginning of the war becomes quite clear as we take a look at the back of the packaging for the Roman booster pack. I quote:

Einar in his quest to aid Utgar control the wellsprings, has summoned additional warriors to fight with the fearsome Grimnak. A squad of 4 Roman Legionnaires and a squad of 3 Roman Archers are ready at your command. These archers and Legionnaires with their special powers and abilities will add strength and power to your armies.

This shows plainly that Einar willingly helped utgar at the war's onset.

Boetia is the one remaining city state, and was loyal to sparta through the war. Boetia is Ullar.

Now the Sicilian campaign is the SOTM master set, as the Marro, under the command of Utgar (Athens), try to take the swamps of Valhalla. If they managed to do this, they would be able to generate an obscene number of alien warriors (Huge trade port and supply of Greek warriors). They failed at this, however, because they didn't have have enough hivelords to deal with the squad of heroes sent by Jandar (Remember the Athenians failed in the campaign of Sicily because they didn't have enough cavalry.)

Shortly after the SOTM master set was released, the general Aquilla came into being. Aquilla fights on the side of Jandar, and therefore is the Persian army that helped in the war (Remember the Persians started in the fighting only after the Sicilian campaign).

So there is my theory. Thank you.

Please give me feedback, refute the theory, help support the theory, and just debate.

Also, I hope this is the right forum for this. If it's not, sorry.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion