Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM

onibaku06 is surprisingly tart
Stating the obvious?

I'm still new to heroscape, sovthis may be a bit of a stupid question, so plz forgive the noob.

After playing my first Heroscape game, using Master Set 3, (I'm waiting for the other to Master Sets to be delivered), and then taking a look at the Book of Marvel, it seems like evil characters seem to be stronger than good characters. Am I wrong or just missing soemthing?

Seldom in life is the right thing to do and the easy thing to do one in the same.

-Unknown
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker
Re: Stating the obvious?

Welcome to the site! There are many "evil" characters that seem to be the most powerful, and since you only have Marvel and D&D, which are pretty divided into good and evil, it can seem like they are a lot more powerful. Those master sets force you into playing good vs evil, but when you get more expansions and such you'll be able to build mixed armies of Utgar and other generals so the line between "good" and "evil" will fade and you won't notice it as much.
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

! The raison d'etre of all the units in the game is killing. The in the game is in the creation of synergistic engines of death called armies. All other rationales are just excuses for bloodlust. The joy is the same whether my Sir Denrick ("good" Jandar) kills your Grimnak ("evil" Utgar), or my Grimnak kills your Sir Denrick. The general practice of combining the "good" and "evil" Generals' units for greater destructive efficiency makes the so-called "line between good and evil" even more clearly a delusion that will "fade" such that "you won't notice it as much." Perhaps, being a sensitive soul, you will after your first exposure to the carnage that is Heroscape, but your revulsion will be short-lived, and you will cheerfully cleave the skulls of your enemies, whatever their alignment.

To paraphrase the noble rdhight, "embrace the !"
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Last edited by kolakoski; May 28th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think you're underestimating some of the good guys onibaku06.
From Master set 3, Pelloth is one of the worst figures, while Tandros Kreel and Darrak Ambershard (for his points) are very solid. The Feral Troll is weak against common squads once he steps outside the confines of his Master Set. The Deepwyrm Drow aren't a particulary powerful squad either. Orthurik is ok, but Nilfhiem the good Jandar dragon is much more powerful.

For the Marvel set, I think a lot of people (I lean this way) would say Captain America is the strongest.

There are definitely some strong evil units, but it's pretty balanced overall. The general Jandar (the goodest of the good) has some of the most powerful units in the game. Knights, 4th Mass, Raelin, Nilfhiem, Airborne Elite, and I've even seen it said that some think the designers (subconciously perhaps) made these units powerful because of their good guy alignment.

What units did you find to be the strongest/weakest onibaku06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
The joy is the same whether my Siege ("good" Jandar) kills your Grimnak ("evil" Utgar), or my Grimnak kills your Siege.
Siege is for "neutral" Vydar.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparkleInYourWater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
The joy is the same whether my Siege ("good" Jandar) kills your Grimnak ("evil" Utgar), or my Grimnak kills your Siege.
Siege is for "neutral" Vydar.
Well met!

He looks like a Knight!? OK, I inserted Sir Denrick for Siege. Thanks! And you are right to put quotation marks around "neutral" as it pertains to Vydar, given that it fields the that is Q9. Siege thought he was joining the Knights of Weston, but missed the "light" in the description of Jandar's color (light blue). Anyways, the only difference between Jandar and Utgar that I can discern is that one of them is a hypocrite.
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!

Leaving aside the issues of actual Power Rankings, etc, it just sorta makes sense that Utgar would have the most powerful soldiers. I mean, Valhalla is stuck in a glorious and bloody stalemate between Utgar on one side and all the other Valkyrie generals aligned together* on the other. Of course he's got the all-stars on his team.

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...

Last edited by Ace Histoli; May 28th, 2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: * plus or minus Valkrill but, y'know, whatever.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Don't forget that in theory (not always the case, but holds for the most part) the more powerful units also cost more points. So an army containing a greater number of "weaker" units should have the same military strength as an army containing more powerful units in fewer numbers.

The unit balance of Heroscape is part of what makes it a fantastic game, especially considering the great number of units and possible armies.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Welcome to the obsession, onibaku06. For your own safety I suggest that instead of playing with your new Heroscape stuff you send it to my folks. I will make sure it is safely disposed of.

But if you are going to ignore my advice, I have to ask you what you mean by "stronger." I think you mean that they have more bang. However, like in economics, what matters in Heroscape is bang for the buck.

Yes, Utgar (evil) gets most of the big ugly guys in his army, but what wins a game is how powerful a unit is for its cost. One of the best ratings of units (Power Rankings) has only one high cost unit in the A+ range--Major Q9 (180 points). The other two units are Deathreavers (40 points) and Raelin (80 points). Notice by the way that is one for good, one for evil, and one for neutral.

Since you're a newbie I should mention that the Power Rankings are designed for the common tournament style--bring your own army and fight against random opponent on a (known) map. But I think your basic problem is just looking at the damage a unit can hand out, not the damage per point he will cost you.

Trust me, even my nephew who loves the big tough guys knows that if he is playing competitively a big pile of low cost commons will usually win.

(BTW, for Marvel the highest ranked unit is Captain America. Again, evil/size does not win the battles. In the A- range you see Silver Surfer and Venom, still evil does not dominate.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion