Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 18th, 2024, 10:09 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

I did. So its up to me to accept the new one or, in our casual games, the only ones I play, just continue to call the character Oberon as I choose. So far I'm more into AOA that most of my pals here anyhow; they'll barely notice the change.

My bigger problem with Renegade now is whether or not they will repeat the minis and cards they are putting out in Wave 1 sets that we're not buying here for now, in future figure/card only (faction?) sets so I can get them that way--without paying a lot for old terrain I/we don't need.

In the Future Wave Prediction Thread I notice that the predicters are all suggesting the first new waves will just complete more AOA figures. In which case who knows how long it will take to buy these that are coming out now in Wave 1 at a later time!
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:17 AM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
I think this is too much attachment to a character that wasnt released yet and we built no connection to.

This is not a fair comparison to changing the identity demographics of an established character that has been embraced for tears. This isnt Sonic the hedgehog being turned into a dolphin. It's an unreleased, draft of a character being officially released.

If this is a sticking point, it seems a bit much. Bats is very correct, you got attached to an unofficial draft.
Unofficial draft seems reductive- it was released by the company that held the rights and, iirc, the design work was finished.

You may not have built that connection. Others did.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

No no, the Marvel characters who changed were MOVIE/TV characters in the last few years. I figured everyone would get that, since its been a big controversy, and it was in that context that I used the term woke (obviously a mistake on my part).

"Goodnight Irene" is an old song from decades ago that seems to be about a guy who loses his gal. Thus to say something back in the Thirties or Fourties like "If the cops catch us its Goodnight Irene!" would mean a bad outcome indeed.

"Sometimes I live in the country
Sometimes I live in town
Sometimes I get a great notion
To jump in the river and drown

Irene good night, Irene good night,
Good night Irene, good night Irene,
I'll see you in my dreams."
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:23 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

So it’s woke to have different versions of these characters made more than half a century ago when everything was white and there was no diversity, to try to build diversity and have new connections with potential new fans to see themselves represented? It’s controversial to try to include other people and make people happy; especially when those original characters still exist and haven’t gone anywhere???

If that’s the definition of woke, then yes please more woke. I like including people who are different than me. Of all the things to complain about this is freaking wild.

Though I’m not sure how a massive media company with like billions of fans has any connection to a piece of plastic in a super niche board game made for kids.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:24 AM

As I said, the design work was not released in a finished draft in all cases back then, which is why Anitar had to jump in and complete some of them if we wanted to play them on our tables, besides making up old style cards for us. Which we all very much appreciated, although only a few other groups were playing with them that I heard about (I'm not on social media, though).

I may be a very old gamer, but I'm only talking about the period after Haslab and before Renegade, so it wasn't all that long ago.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:32 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Obviously this is a ridiculous discussion, and like most arguments between rational people we all agree, but are overestimating how strongly each group feels - memes are clever like that.

I think everyone saw the name Irene and were a bit taken back.

However it seems like one camp is outraged and won't buy the game and thinks all girl figures are gross and society is breaking down.

The other side is embarrassed that any one could be bothered by a name and Heroscape is just silly anyway, but that's what makes it awesome and you are dumb not to buy it cause the creators are brilliant.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if any one fell into either of those camps. But the original point stands Irene seems like an odd choice.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:36 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

…Wasn’t it you who said your boys won’t be interested anymore because she’s a girl?
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:54 AM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
My bigger problem with Renegade now is whether or not they will repeat the minis and cards they are putting out in Wave 1 sets that we're not buying here for now, in future figure/card only (faction?) sets so I can get them that way--without paying a lot for old terrain I/we don't need.

In the Future Wave Prediction Thread I notice that the predicters are all suggesting the first new waves will just complete more AOA figures. In which case who knows how long it will take to buy these that are coming out now in Wave 1 at a later time!
I say this with practically zero authority, but don’t expect Renegade to release these units separately. The terrain, maybe, because that is easy to produce, but I’d wager that you’d ultimately be paying more for the minis separately if they did that. You’re likely getting the best deal on the minis by having them bundled together in the master set.

Also, yes, Renegade has stated that the first two years of product will all be AoA stuff from the Haslab. The only new things I’d expect to see is new terrain, like the wellspring water.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:55 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Unofficial draft seems reductive- it was released by the company that held the rights and, iirc, the design work was finished.
The design work wasn't complete. The released cards were "in their current state" and were subject to changes. Some changed during the campaign as different drafts were released at different points.
Old March 18th, 2024, 11:19 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
I think this is too much attachment to a character that wasnt released yet and we built no connection to.

This is not a fair comparison to changing the identity demographics of an established character that has been embraced for tears. This isnt Sonic the hedgehog being turned into a dolphin. It's an unreleased, draft of a character being officially released.

If this is a sticking point, it seems a bit much. Bats is very correct, you got attached to an unofficial draft.

You may not have built that connection. Others did.
It's not reductive. It was an unfinished product. Building a connection with an unfinished product is a recipe for disaster. Anything can change up till release.
Old March 18th, 2024, 11:32 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I just think the name Irene is jarring and wildy outside the typical naming conventions. Would it have sounded 'off' if names like Ethel or Hilda were used during the original release? Nope. But they weren't and we got used to an aesthetic. Stuff outside it sounds weird. Will I get used it? Eventually.

The change from male to female, gets a meh from me. Don't care either way. But that's me.

Edit: Actually on second thought, names like Ethel and Hilda would have sounded strange to me during the original release (based on pre-observed fantasy/sci-fi norms), but it also would have been a Scape thing from the start making it the norm (or at least established) for the game.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; March 18th, 2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old March 18th, 2024, 12:29 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
…Wasn’t it you who said your boys won’t be interested anymore because she’s a girl?
Yes, but they don't buy the toys.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News