Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old March 14th, 2018, 08:58 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: What Type of Custom Creator or Fan Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
~NecroBlade, living up to the first half of his name[/FONT][/SIZE]
Not only a Necro but you didn't even realise that you had already answered the questions before. Let's see if anything has changed...

1. Figure Photo or Comic Art
Quote:
1. Figure photo, since that's what the official cards use. Though, since I don't often have figures or a camera, I'll use comic art a lot.
Quote:
Figure photo. Comic art is awesome, but ultimately I want my cards in an "official" style.
2. Compatibility with Marvel, Valhalla, C3G, NM24, any comic custom, and/or other customs such as Sci Fi/Star Wars (in other words, are you concerned with your customs playing well with synergies in other genres)
Quote:
2. I try to build in occasional synergies with official units, and other than that among my own customs, whatever genre they be.
Quote:
Compatibility with Marvel/Valhalla, but that's it. My customs are for personal use first and foremost, so I want them to blend with the official stuff as well as possible. Anything beyond that is a nice side bonus.
3. Theme vs. Mechanics, which one is more important to you. Would you sacrifice something on one in order to perfect the other?
Quote:
3. Mechanics I suppose. Theme is nice, but mechanics HAVE to be clean for me in a game so simple as Heroscape.
Quote:
I'd have to split this 40/60. I'd sacrifice a little theme to make sure the mechanics function properly, but I'm also willing to write a little theme into a power. At the end of the day, though, my customs have to maintain that classic Heroscape feel, while hopefully still providing something thematically new.
4. Custom shortcuts such as Flying Symbols or other symbols like team logos, where do you draw your line.
Quote:
4. I hate adding symbols/logos of any kind (except when extending a Super-Strength-like power to other universes; i.e. Jedi Symbol for Star Wars).
Quote:
I'm not opposed to Flying Symbols, since it's such a common power. I haven't used them yet, but some cards need a bunch of other powers and theme, so saving someone's eyes from reading super tiny font is probably worth it. Outside of Flying, I don't think there's an iconic power that's both used often enough and has an intuitive symbol.
5. Individual Secret Identities or Iconic "Lunch Box" Representations What would your custom world include?
Quote:
5. Iconic representations.
Quote:
I understand the desire/need for Secret Identities in the superhero world, but my own pool of customs isn't going to be deep enough to necessitate them. If I do, say, Batman and Batman (Beyond), I'm just as likely to say "sorry, you can only use one at a time" as "house rules say as long as the points/stats/powers aren't identical you can field both".
6. Does your quest for theme mean that you want you specific characteristics always spelled out in the powers, or are you willing to "hide" theme in base stats for "simplicity".
Quote:
6. "Hide" I guess. Not every aspect of a character is going to translate or be able to be represent by a power (space is often an issue with "super"-level customs).
Quote:
If your base stats don't give a decent representation of the character, you're doing something wrong. But powers will always be necessary for theme.
7. Language preference. Are you strict on Heroscape "official" language or are you willing to take liberties on "house slang" such as "...powers that refer to heat, fire or flame..."
Quote:
7. I try to make my wording as official as possible, but there are some shortcuts that just HAVE to be taken (20-sided die d20; I mean seriously, how do you NOT do that for D&D cards?!).
Quote:
Vague things like "heat, fire, flame" that also inevitably miss something (lava? burn? etc) absolutely must be avoided. On the other hand, everyone knows what a damn d20 is, so stop spelling it out.
8. Do you have a ceiling on the number of powers on a card?
Quote:
8. 4. But sometimes I break that rule with a 5th power for the "biggest" characters (someone like Galactus maybe). This also depends if SS counts.
Quote:
Typically 4, and even that's used sparingly. 5 isn't out of the question, though.
9. Do you have a ceiling on point value?
Quote:
9. 400, but again this is broken for "big" characters.
Quote:
Not really. These are superheroes, there's bound to be some crazy stuff. Points do have to scale properly, though, from 10 to 1000.
10. Are you into the customs to actually play in games, or are you just into the fun of translating comic characters onto cards?
Quote:
10. Mostly for translating, but I do like really "finishing" the occasional card to play (if I have/can find a mini to use).
Quote:
See my intro paragraph. Right now, it's a lot of fun to translate heroes to cards (in fact, I enjoy translating all manner of other franchises and games to Heroscape stats). The goal, though, is to get them on the table!
Pretty consistent there Necro . Nice to see you have stayed your course.
Old March 15th, 2018, 04:19 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: What Type of Custom Creator or Fan Are You?

Hey, thanks! I knew this looked familiar.

Fun to see how my answers have (or haven't) evolved. Definitely still worth doing again in that regard.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations