Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 24th, 2022, 02:11 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I had the idea for war wizards, and they are the backbone of the faction. As I've said.

Craig suggested that we also have familiars to go with them, which I thought was brilliant, and now you're looking at some of them. As the "Designer's Notes" text indicates, familiars will be (with some limitations) mix & match with wizards.

This is a good example of how the work of the designer and the artist together is a two-way street. I had envisioned some more classic-looking familiars, and this sketch is typical of what came back to me for them, instead. These creatures are awesome, and I never would have dreamed of them, so I'm glad that the artist took liberties with what I had originally written down.
You're not doing anything to calm down my excitement levels for this faction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixConstantino
what’s your favorite faction?
You mean out of the new ones?

You haven’t seen them yet.

I mean really, did you think we were stopping at three? Buahahaha
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth26
Is the plan to reveal one a week?
Currently.
Another faction (or several) forthcoming; another week of reveals (or several) forthcoming.
Quote:
You can look at this two ways, both positive: 1. Chris is insane posting something everyday how many figures are there in this set, the longer this goes on the bigger the set will be? 2. Chris is insane posting something everyday how many figures are there in this set, he can’t possibly keep this up forever, which means some bigger announcement needs to happen? Either way you win. So enjoy the journey.
What faction(s) do y'all think will be next? We've gotten post-apocalyptic mad max pirates, death machines, nature mages... I'm guessing something historical in nature will be next.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 24th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
You're not doing anything to calm down my excitement levels for this faction.
"You supposed more than really existed. But now suppose as much as you choose; give loose to your fancy, indulge your imagination in every possible flight which the subject will afford[.]" Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice, ch. 60.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 24th, 2022, 03:05 PM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
What faction(s) do y'all think will be next? We've gotten post-apocalyptic mad max pirates, death machines, nature mages... I'm guessing something historical in nature will be next.
I had an idea that there could be a faction of fae-folk-esque lesser beings native to Valhalla that were always around, but previously were able to avoid the conflict of the wellsprings. Now the Age of Annihilation has started and displaced them from their hidden peaceful dwellings and into the defense of their homelands.

Basically not-hobbits. Something like the Kithkin from Magic the Gathering.
Old August 24th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

How about some awesome looking Kyrie? Vydar, Valkrill and Aquilla Kyrie, for example?

"Tribal Wrath" - Zulus, Aborigines, Aztecs, Celts and another Native American Tribe (mounted with repeaters, please)

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:23 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
These are so cool and pretty! I can't wait to see the designs. What can you tell us @Dad_Scaper ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Today's doggos.
Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 016 - "YOU’RE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE MATTER-ALTERING, TELEPORTING, RAVENOUS, LIGHTNING FAST, INTERGALATIC SPACE PUPPY THAT YOU BRING WITH YOU INTO TO BATTLE" One essential key to the Dryan Lifeborne Order’s tactical prowess, is the Magi’s usage of Etheric Familiars to augment their already mystical powers. Each Dryan Magi carefully selects their animal companions based upon the parameters of the coming battle. Some Etheric Familiars can make it almost impossible to utilize range attacks against the Dryan from afar, some can move effortlessly through impeding opponents, quickly flanking their enemies, and others still can project auras of immense magical protection to guard nearby allies from falling to the most grievous mortal blows.

Image name: IWantOneForMyBirthday.

Very cool designs!
Old August 24th, 2022, 06:02 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"Owl be seeing you in all the old familiar places."

I remember when I was young that Andre Norton had a SciFi series about a telepathic ranger type who could communicate with his animal companions. She had a lively style of representing their thought processes in his mind.
Old August 24th, 2022, 07:45 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
I doubt they will make the same mistake they did with the guardian knight. There is a lot of ill will about that mistake.

How can one score a Guardian Knight?
You gotta know somebody on the inside!
First Rule of Fight Club is to...... NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 25th, 2022, 01:31 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
I dig that three-eyes owl! I'd love if it was a familiar of some sort that could bond with its chosen wizard.
Quote:
. . . One essential key to the Dryan Lifeborne Order’s tactical prowess, is the Magi’s usage of Etheric Familiars to augment their already mystical powers . . .

Hooray!!! (WHOO-ray)

Multiple versions of the owl-ish in this latest concept art, in addition to the small 3-eyed basic one that was also in the last drawing. It's possible the medium, more morphed/grown/bat/horned/owl/monkey-tailed ones are just riffs on a theme to distill the artistic concept into the final more detailed large Horned Owl Griffin (Strigigriph??).

Of course it's also possible that we could get multiple versions?? where a wizard could choose a familiar for a game, from among different stages in it's development to fill different point gaps or perform different slightly different rolls along a theme? That would be cool too.

I'm gonna wildly speculate it's the latter where something like an owl is cheap and has no real attack, but can look at order markers, while the owl bat on the bottom can do an attack and maybe mess with or rearrange markers it can fly over. But if you choose the big guy, he's a main attacker type who can see the thoughts of those he attacks and can knock an order marker or two off with a high end 20-sider roll.

Same speculation for the teleporting fox. You might choose the cheap young version that can grab a glyph or tie someone down with adjacency, but teleports away when attacked and can't do any real damage, or you could choose the more expensive full grown one with the horns who can disengage or maybe even carry its controller across the battlefield and maul high value targets. Or maybe it gives its controller a vanish like ability in addition to itself by teleporting them out of danger too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Dok also pointed out that he did, in fact, offer one doodle into the process.
Was it the smaller owl? The art seems kid of a different style. IDK, Maybe it's just shaded differently.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old August 25th, 2022, 01:58 AM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I'm trying to put three statements together:

1. They've been working on the new Scape for a year. (Mentioned when new Scape was announced).

2. They work two years ahead of production. (This last a recent note).

Doesn't this mean they have another year to go before we see anything come out? Or did Avalon Hill get things rolling a year before they created the War Council and brought them into the project?

3. Significant announcements--and by implication actual availability--"will be a matter of days and weeks, not years and months." (This mentioned somewhere between the two).

Hmmm... It doesn't add up for me! I doubt we have to wait a year before product becomes available. Do we? I hope this will be addressed sooner than that!
I'll be very (pleasantly!) surprised if we get new Heroscape products in our hands in under a year. If sculpts are still not final*, that means they haven't begun manufacturing the minis, so they need to finish those, get them to the factory, get at least one test run, print the full production run, get them packaged up, ship them to distributors, then to stores, and allow enough flex time in all that to allow for COVID to mess things up, plus all the standard delays you'd expect in a project like this.

I'd expect that "significant announcement" to be an announcement of a release date, more information on the format of the product, and so forth, but I'd expect the date itself to be many months away. My potentially pessimistic guess is they'll be targeting Fall 2023, with room to slip a little and still make the holidays next year.

But of course, I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong!

*Per this CVN quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And I found a few more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness
typical Saturday for me, adding more detail to sculpts, tweaking powers.
Old August 25th, 2022, 02:36 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
If sculpts are still not final*
I would imagine that at the very least the sculpts displayed at GenCon were final. Right? Or is the thought that they were one offs from a resin printer, or originals?

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old August 25th, 2022, 03:35 AM

Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
If sculpts are still not final*
I would imagine that at the very least the sculpts displayed at GenCon were final. Right? Or is the thought that they were one offs from a resin printer, or originals?

I think so and the fact CVN work on sole figure don't mean its the one which may release soon. As they said, they have stuff ready 2 year before the release
Old August 25th, 2022, 05:03 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

I have to tell you all, the first time I got to work on Heroscape I was in my early thirties raising a family of five kids. I remember them helping me playtest and when the boxes arrived from Hasbro they would be almost beside themselves with excitement for what was in them.

This time it finds me in my late forties, 5 young grandkids later. I am absolutely thrilled for my kids to be able to open these boxes with my grandkids, build maps, fight the battle of all time, and watch an entire new generation of Scapers being born.

I know it seems cliche, but I am as excited for this as all of you. I cannot wait to see their faces when they play this set for the first time. Just the thought of many of our kids being fathers and mothers now and getting to go through this….it’s absolutely brilliant and exciting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion