Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Strack9's Customs

I found the time to take myself through Whitestuff's Gimp Tutorial article and I made it! So with no further ado here is my first attempt at making a custom.

Spoiler Alert!

I still haven't figured everything out, and I forget stuff so I appreciate any suggestions no matter how nitpicky.

Thanks for any comments, and a special thanks to Whitestuff for the great tutorial!!

Last edited by Strack9; February 12th, 2022 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Revision.6 to match the now established Quick Draw wording
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM

DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker
Re: Strack9's Customs

Tombstone looks like a very good idea, and the figure you chose has a real evil feel to him. I think that Quick Draw should not be a special attack, but a power that inflicts automatic wounds with attack dice (ala Frost Giant of Morh).
This guy has a great theme and could be a good, strong filler unit. I hope you'll be doing more like this!

p.s try running your text through a word processor before putting it on the card.
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM

Utgars_General is surprisingly tart

It looks nice! Quickdraw doesn't specify attack dice though, and that could confuse people (probably not, but I'm a little picky with wording).
Besides that, great work! Concept is amazing.

My Customs Last Updated: June 9th, 2011
-Now with space-and-time saving organization, and 'Nids!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDoom View Post
Tombstone looks like a very good idea, and the figure you chose has a real evil feel to him.
I’m flattered that anyone noticed my attempt. I can’t find where the image is from anymore. I was more concerned with completing a card than obtaining a real figure at the time I made it. I think it might have been too small for Heroscape purposes (1:25 scale, if I recall).

Quote:
I think that Quick Draw should not be a special attack, but a power that inflicts automatic wounds with attack dice (ala Frost Giant of Morh).
I’m not dead-set on having it be a special attack, in fact I wonder about the ramifications of attacking on someone else’s turn. I guess above all I want Quickdraw to have the feel of being an attack that preempts someone else’s attack if he kills them. I thought about using a ranged counterstrike ability like:
Quickdraw: When rolling defensive dice against an attack from a non-adjacent attacking figure add 5 dice. All excess shields rolled count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.
My dissatisfaction with that is that it boosts TT’s survivability even if he doesn’t kill the opponent. I want him to be just as fragile as the other cowboys unless he kills his opponent first.

As it stands, though, I’m also dissatisfied with revision.3 because it makes for the possibility of a bulky turn. Imagine a squad of Marro Warriors attacking TT. MW1 attacks, then TT attacks, then MW1 rolls defense, then (maybe) TT rolls defence, then (maybe) repeat x3.

Taking from your suggestions, and the Nakita's Smoke Powder 13 wording, what about:
Quickdraw: When Tommy Tombstone is targeted for an attack from a non-adjacent opponent within his range, roll 2 attack dice. Each skull rolled counts as an unblockable hit on that figure. If that figure is destroyed, it may not complete its attack.
I decreased the attack dice to 2 since they're auto-hits and I'm initially more satisfied with the feel of the power, although I'm always open to suggestion. Some things I'm still pondering on:
  • I wonder if it's necessary to make a concession for the Deathwalkers since they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
  • Is only 2 dice still too strong (rephrase: is 40 pts too cheap) for an auto-hit ability? It's only vs. range and usually within a turn's closing distance, and again: they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
  • Should it only work against normal attacks? Ranged common squads are who I really want to make sweat the choice, but most special attacks come from heros who don't sweat dying from 1 or 2 hits and if they do: they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll change the card eventually. I have to relearn some things, and can't Gimp from work.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM

DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
  • I wonder if it's necessary to make a concession for the Deathwalkers since they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
If the power only works against normal attacks, it shouldn't be a problem, since 8K and 9K both have beastly special attacks.
Quote:
  • Is only 2 dice still too strong (rephrase: is 40 pts too cheap) for an auto-hit ability? It's only vs. range and usually within a turn's closing distance, and again: they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
40 points is a good number, especially since he only gets 1 attack per turn. He's not going to do incredible amounts of damage before the opponent closes on him. However, playtesting may prove otherwise.
Quote:
  • Should it only work against normal attacks? Ranged common squads are who I really want to make sweat the choice, but most special attacks come from heros who don't sweat dying from 1 or 2 hits and if they do: they can just refrain from attacking to avoid any peril.
You could make it work against special attacks. However, if you do, I would suggest making it an ability that affects common and unique figures differently, ala Braxas.
You should submit this to Soldiers of Valhalla once you have it how you like!

Last edited by DeathDoom; November 22nd, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

He rocks, and I like the Relentless personality. Have you considered adding him to the Lawman class (the same as Guilty, Shotgun Sullivan, and James Murphy)? Something along the lines of "lawman gone bad." That way, in the event of a bonding hero that taps into this class, Tommy won't be left with his guns in their holsters.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
. . . Have you considered adding him to the Lawman class . . .
Yes, but I thought of him being more of an outlaw. Plus, I've got something else in the works to address that.

Rough Draft:
Bo Hillkick
Human
Unique Hero
Lawman
Wild

Life 5
Move 5
Range 7
Attack 3
Defence 2

Deputize
At the start of the game you may choose any unique human hero army card you control costing 75 points or less. For this game the chosen card’s class is Lawman, regardless of what is listed on the card.

Marshal the Posse
When you reveal an order marker on Bo Hillkick you may take a turn with any 3 Lawmen Heroes you control, including Bo Hillkick. You may choose what order to activate the heroes.
He can form a posse with:
Johnny "Shogun" Sullivan
Guilty McReach
James Murphy
And could aditionally Deputize:
Brave Arrow, 50 pts
Deadeye Dan, 60 pts
Isamu, 10 pts
Otonashi, 10 pts
Shiori, 60 pts
Eldgim the Viking Champion, 30 pts
Samuel Brown, 60 pts
(Tommy Tombstone 40 pts)
Hope I didn't leave anyone out.
It will definitely need some playtesting to tweak and dial in a price, but that's what I've got so far.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map

Last edited by Strack9; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added San Brown
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM

Taking a turn with three seems like it could be overpowered. With Johnny, James, and Guilty, you get 4 attacks plus splash damage each turn. While I do like the idea of Deadeye Dan as a lawman, an autokill chance each turn could also be broken. 2 figures seems to be the limit with hero to hero bonding (as in Ulginesh and Ornak). Still, Bo does look good short of the third hero.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Taking a turn with three seems like it could be overpowered. With Johnny, James, and Guilty, you get 4 attacks plus splash damage each turn. While I do like the idea of Deadeye Dan as a lawman, an autokill chance each turn could also be broken. 2 figures seems to be the limit with hero to hero bonding (as in Ulginesh and Ornak). Still, Bo does look good short of the third hero.
I agree; taking turns with 3 other Lawmen would put Bo's cost at somewhere around 120+, I would think, which seems like quite an investment for a 2-defense hero. I would rather see his defense increased, or limit the Posse to one other Lawman (or movement bonding with 3 others, etc).

Actually, you could limit the Posse to one other Lawman hero (maybe reword to something akin to before taking a turn with Bo, you may take a turn with one other Lawman or move up to 3 lawmen heroes 5 spaces each, etc), and raise the Deputize point limit to 80. This would allow Bo to deputize Raelin, which would really help out the Lawmen's survivability. At 80, you still don't have to worry about some of the beefier heroes being deputized (Kaemon, Brunak[although this does sound intriguing], Eltahale, and so forth).

Either way, I am liking the sound of a Posse-forming hero. Have you thought of a sculpt to use for Bo?
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM

Regarding Tommy Tombstone:
Quote:
Quote:
If the power only works against normal attacks, it shouldn't be a problem, since 8K and 9K both have beastly special attacks.

Quote:
40 points is a good number, especially since he only gets 1 attack per turn. He's not going to do incredible amounts of damage before the opponent closes on him. However, playtesting may prove otherwise.

Quote:
You could make it work against special attacks. However, if you do, I would suggest making it an ability that affects common and unique figures differently, ala Braxas.
You should submit this to Soldiers of Valhalla once you have it how you like!
After thinking about it some, I think I like Quickdraw best at revision.5 (working against all attacks). It already does affect commons and uniques differently by the nature of the fact that commons die from an auto-wound, and uniques only get wounded. And I just realized that the Deathwalkers all have 7 range. So in addition to not firing or closing the distance to avoid destruction, they could also retreat out of TT's range before firing.

Now I just have to run through the Gimp tutorial again to figure out how to change the text on the card.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Now I just have to run through the Gimp tutorial again to figure out how to change the text on the card.
When or if you find out, please tell me, as I have had trouble with this as well.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM

XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker XDVincent knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookiee View Post
Quote:
When or if you find out, please tell me, as I have had trouble with this as well.
Open the layers editor [Ctrl + L]

The select the layer you want to edit.

Then use the Text tool and click on your text.

You now should be able to edit your text

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards