Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Can you have good game play with 6 players?
Yes, it makes a great game! 68 51.91%
Yes, but it's much better to split into multiple groups. 55 41.98%
No, avoid this at all costs! 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Coming from you, Ry - I'll make sure to do that.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM

Technomagus has disabled reputation
I regularly play games with 6+ players. We generally have a good time, though the "Everyone targets and eliminates the high-priority threats" effect happens.

Normally, the threat assessment for our group goes something like this:

Marro Hive (Especially when I use it)
Jotun
Dragons (Includes Su-Bak-Na)
Marvel
Any Samurai
Major Q9
Sgt. Drake
Syvarris and Sonlen
Major Q10
Ninjas (Includes Carr, Shiori, and Isamu)
Robots (Soulborgs)

Or something similar.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomagus
I regularly play games with 6+ players. We generally have a good time, though the "Everyone targets and eliminates the high-priority threats" effect happens.

Normally, the threat assessment for our group goes something like this:

Marro Hive (Especially when I use it)
Jotun
Dragons (Includes Su-Bak-Na)
Marvel
Any Samurai
Major Q9
Sgt. Drake
Syvarris and Sonlen
Major Q10
Ninjas (Includes Carr, Shiori, and Isamu)
Robots (Soulborgs)

Or something similar.
I think Sonlen would probably be higher on our priority list.
Krug would be on it, too.
And Cyprien as well.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM

Archkyrie11 is surprisingly tart
Dragons shall be mine all mine. Imagine seeing everyones moral dropping when they see an army of Dragons

Alderaan shot first
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ok, we tried a 5 person battle last night with each player having a 500 pt army.

I don't think I would suggest limiting most engagements to 4. It took a really long time to complete one round. The 500pt part didn't seem to hurt anything, it was more the waiting for your own turn.

The delay was especially noticeable with bonding. I.e. Knights of Weston get Sir Gilbert to go, who roles the Jandar dice to get the 4th Mass moving, etc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!
It all depends on if a Game, Map, points, team, rules, etc...

Ive played "Multiplayer" games both "Team" and "All for one". But in the later certain people make alliances and doesnt make the game that fun.

Like when playing with a HSing couple and one gets close enough to attack one of two targets a dragon or a squad figure?
Male- "Dragon has 2 life left, Squad figure has stealth dodge. Hmmm I attack dragon."
Female- "You wouldnt attack me would you?"
Male- "Well youre in range"
Female- "But so is the agent?"
Male- "Yeah but it takes only one shield to dodge, your dragon is a bigger threat and besides Its only a game."
Female- "I know, and the bed is only for Sleeping."
Male- "I attack agent" Rolls 6 Skulls, Agent rolls 1 Shield but 3 blanks.
Female- "Love you"

But then again its not to fun to play a team game with a lot of people do to the fact MOST people play where you roll for initiative and then you go in a clockwise circle. Alot of time this cause the very 1st person that went is now open for 2 attacks in a 4 player game, or 3 attacks in a 6 player game, Which to me aggrevates me.

Ive actually went to Ft Bragg to see some friends and played a 6 player team game. For being a bunch of grunts and rule lawyers it was actually a fun game. They took turns and went back and forth between the teams for rounds. So even though there was still 3 opponent attacks between turns atleast your teammates might have been able to intercepts some damage.

But all in all Ive expierinced anything over 4 players is a little too much.
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM

sashiel has disabled reputation
I just played in a six player 3v3 game last night that was a lot of fun. We played 500 point armies, and the whole game only took about three hours once the board was set up, which isn't bad. Good times were had by all.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:00 AM

eviltool has disabled reputation
Every week we play with anywhere from 3-7(only once) players, and it is very fun. We do a rule where all players get 3 additional order markers that are move only, and 3 that are attack only, so each turn is much bigger, and less order marker placement time is used. There are a lot of jokes and jibes thrown around, and we aren't afraid to beat on anyone. Very seldom does one player get destroyed, and there have even been very epic comebacks and such. Sadly, we only play for around 3 hours, so don't get to completely finish, but we tally points for a winner. Drafting takes much too long, so each player brings a predrafted army, and everything from tons of tarn vikings, to marvel heroes have roamed the field of battle. All kinds of different games are possible with more people, from generals to ffa to teams to capture the flag, and there are usually interesting scenarios to add spice. I highly recommend gaming with someone with Bixby's impressive collection, as we get to play on big maps. It's sooooooooooooooooooo fun!
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Vydar_191 has disabled reputation
ya

yes ive tried a six but not an eight its not as good as a four but it is pretty good i played a game with four people last week with 1600 point armies and it took six hiurs it was a great game tho.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM

Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker
Like several that stated before me, a free for all is a no-go. I've played a 6 person game that ended up taking a day and a half but it was probably one of the best I've played. From that experience I'd say they're good in moderation, but not something that should be done game after game..a 3v3 is a different story though.

And it's not like anybody actually plays game after game
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o' Blades
Like several that stated before me, a free for all is a no-go.
Yea, I'd like to double (triple?) up on this. Forget 6 players, even with 3 players one player can play the "hang back and let them hack each other apart" strategy. If they're clever about it the other players do not notice. (I do not play with experienced players much.)

I often play 6 player games because I like to recruit a large group of people (I am usually the pusher around here.) The things I do to make sure the game is enjoyable:
1) Pre-made armies. Just have the players choose among them. Drafting takes way too long, with a reasonable mix you can get the same affect with pre-mades. You can also assure balance and a reasonable mix of talents.
2) Glyphs, get the glyphs out there so that people who move first win big. I often let them pick them up, but either way will work.
3) Don't have a "slaughter them all" victory condition. This gives too big of an advantage to people who hang back even with glyphs on the field. It also just takes too dang long.

We always have lots of fun. It's hard to design a map for 6 with only one master set but I've done several and it was cool.

Kevin
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I hosted my first six player game last week...two teams of three players, 500 point armies each. The game took about two and a half hours, but what really slowed it down was the consultations on each move. The guys I was playing with had played such games before and said that previously they had figured out what to do about this problem: no talking to the person whose turn it is. This would have cut our play time down considerably; but it might have damaged some of the fun.

In any event, I think I now have the attitude of "been there, done that" for six player games. I wouldn't rule another one out, but won't go seeking one, either.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles