Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 26th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Where are you taking "being activated" from? My sense is that units take turns and figures get activated. So a squad of Minions takes a turn after you reveal an order marker on them, and as you choose to move one it gets activated. If you only move two of them, you can activate a third in the attack phase.
Okay. I got the wording from the Microcorp Troopers; I was just wondering what technically counted as "being activated": i.e. a unit being moved by a special power (movement bonding), etc?

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old September 27th, 2015, 02:11 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Where are you taking "being activated" from? My sense is that units take turns and figures get activated. So a squad of Minions takes a turn after you reveal an order marker on them, and as you choose to move one it gets activated. If you only move two of them, you can activate a third in the attack phase.
Okay. I got the wording from the Microcorp Troopers; I was just wondering what technically counted as "being activated": i.e. a unit being moved by a special power (movement bonding), etc?

~TAF
My understanding is that revealing an Order Marker on a card activates the unit(s) on that card. I'm not sure how this works with multiples of common squads, but the only way I see the power on the Microcorp Troopers card working is if you revealed an OM, activating four of them, and then didn't move or attack with all four (ie, only did so with three or less). Then you would have one left over that was activated, but hadn't moved or attacked.
You could also post a question directly on the Microcorp Troopers book.

I also have a question, relating to vBulletin formatting:
I keep running into this problem. When I have a post containing links and spoilers, and I try to add something to it, the spoilers get all messed up. Additional spoilers are added, usually separating the links from the normal text. A look at the vBulletin html reveals that unnecessary size tags are the cause of this trouble:

The highlighted portion is the part that is currently giving me trouble; it shouldn't exist, but is generated when I save the post. Near the top, you can also see a lot of unnecessary tags, though these currently interpret correctly with the spoilers.
Is there a way to stop vBulletin generating these size tags? Or does someone know what is causing them to be generated? Is there perhaps a work-around?
I can usually resolve this problem after a lengthy period of finding the right size tags and deleting them (which even then sometimes doesn't work, because more can be generated). However, it is a rather large pain, especially when working with large, complex posts, such as indexes.

~TGRF.

EDIT: Simply deleting the highlighted portion did make it work, but the problem remains.
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:50 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

That type of question should be posted here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=46306

This thread is for game rules.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
What are the differences between a unit "taking a turn" and a unit "being activated", if there even is one?
"Activated" is a term we created in VC to be used for powers like Heavy Weapon special attack, so I can define it for you.

There's really no such thing a figure "taking a turn." (Though I suppose it makes sense for heroes, since there is only one figure involved.) Turns can only be taken by units defined by Army Cards. For squads, that's multiple figures. That's true even if you only move or attack with a single figure--it's the unit that takes the turn.

A figure becomes "activated" if it moves normally or attacks during its unit's turn. If you move a figure normally, it becomes activated for the turn. If you attack with a figure (normal or special), it becomes activated for the turn. You can even choose a figure to be activated without moving or attacking with it by moving zero spaces. Special powers, such as Marro Plague, do not activate any figures.
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:18 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
"Activated" is a term we created in VC to be used for powers like Heavy Weapon special attack, so I can define it for you.
Not quite - the term "activated" was introduced in the SotM rulebook and continued to be used after that. We in VC try our best to avoid making up new rules or terminology for the game.
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Not quite - the term "activated" was introduced in the SotM rulebook and continued to be used after that. We in VC try our best to avoid making up new rules or terminology for the game.
The rulebooks use that term, loosely, but never define it, and it isn't used on any official cards. Thus we Editors considered it a new term, or at least one that we could determine it's precise definition.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:29 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

My point is that while the precedent was loose, there was precedent nonetheless.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Kato Katsuro's command also uses "activate" in the relevant way. At any rate I agree with Scytale's description of what activate means.
Old October 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Lots of amateur questions coming at the forums:

1) I've checked out a lot of the C3V customs, and am surprised to find there's not a lot of RotV repaints/rethemes. I'm a bit surprised as it's the most accessible set. Does anyone have any good RotV customs or is it just not popular?

2) How do you personally differentiate between squads used by different players. I have the entire collection for my group, and have multiples of several squads. If both of us draft the same squad, does anyone have advice on how to tell them apart easily?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

1. The C3V has done no repaints, and nothing requiring significant (subjective word there, I know) customization of a mini. Those days may come, but they aren't here yet.

2. You can mark them with little rubber bands or little objects that sit on the base, or just have yours all facing one way and your opponent's all facing another. Or just try to remember.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:13 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@SpriteMichaeler
1) I've checked out a lot of the C3V customs, and am surprised to find there's not a lot of RotV repaints/rethemes. I'm a bit surprised as it's the most accessible set. Does anyone have any good RotV customs or is it just not popular?
Yeah, I wish they used more "repaints" of heroes from Heroscape (especially from master sets) as those are the ones people have the most duplicates of. In the beginnings of Heroscape before anything but the first couple expansions, most customs were actually from RotV. There is a thread I compiled awhile back that answers your very question, though:
Customs using Master Set Figures (RotV, SotM, BftU)

2) How do you personally differentiate between squads used by different players. I have the entire collection for my group, and have multiples of several squads. If both of us draft the same squad, does anyone have advice on how to tell them apart easily?
The somewhat easy way is to just have all of your figures face opposite your start zone, but if you want to do things like move for sighting or have 4 or more player games, then this doesn't work. The Rulebook actually suggests you place initials in magic marker on the underside of the base, then you just have to peek underneath real quick if you forget. The advanced way is repaints, but that is too intense for most people, both in terms of time and ability involved, as well as "ruining" the figures.
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:51 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Thank you! That thread is exactly what I was looking for! The search function isn't exactly the most user friendly, so it's no wonder I couldn't find a 4 year old thread. The drawback of coming in so late to the game.

I do intend on having quite a few 4 player games. I don't know how often the same unit will be on 3 or 4 teams, but I will need to be ready in case. I've got some easy ideas (stickers/marks on the base), but didn't know if there was a standard people here preferred.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's