Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old June 13th, 2020, 10:58 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] DIENEKES (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Testing

2020-06-13
Rust and Ruin by Flash_19, Heat of Battle Scraps format

caps
125 Jango Fett
225 Sentinels of Grax
315 Dienekes
365 Tarn Viking Warriorsr

caps's 7yo
110 Varkaanan Greyspears
205 Arktos
365 2xVarkaanan Blade Dancers

Round1: Tarn Viking Warriors charge out and attack the Blade Dancers across the map, killing 2 of them; Greyspears advance on Jango's high ground, putting 2 wounds on him and 1 wound on Dienekes; Viking Warriors retaliate against the Greyspears, largely getting blocked, though one puts 4 wounds on Arktos; Blade Dancer dies leaving engagement with a Viking Warrior

Round2: Jango flies away from the melee and kills two Greyspears and Arktos with his Flame Thrower Special Attack; Blade Dancers kill a Tarn; Tarns kill a Greyspear; OM2 lost on Arktos; Sentinels of Grax activate Healing glyph to heal Jango and Dienekes and kill a Blade Dancer; last Greyspear dies leaving engagement with a viking (trying to get an angle on the Glyph of Recall)

Round3: Dienekes takes height to kill the penultimate Blade Dancer

Game is called.

Dienekes:
went 1/3 on Tether (moving a Blade Dancer away from Fett after it Vaulted next to him; failed to move a Blade Dancer that was approaching the height; failed to move a Blade Dancer that shifted position beside him)
blocked a Greyspear
rolled 1/5 defense against a 2/4 from an Arktos-boosted Greyspear
rolled 2/4 against a Blade Dancer to kill it (26.67 points)

Dienekes had a lower impact on this game. It happens for figures like him.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 13th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
If it Vaults to a different space, yes.
It didn't occur to me at the time how ambiguous I was being. I meant the Varkaanan Blade Dancers's Defensive Vault, in case that wasn't clear.
Yeah, I guessed that. As long as it moves to a different space with its Vault move, it's like any other move. When any small or medium figure ends any move nearby, it can be grabbed.
Old July 28th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Custom
Spoiler Alert!

Army 1: (L) Ozuul (190), Gorillitroopers x2 (210) 400 pts
Army 2: (J) Motley Max (135), Dienekes (90), 12th Caucasus Rifles x3 (180) 405 pts

Versions tested:

Ozuul
Spoiler Alert!

Dienekes
Spoiler Alert!

Motley Max
Spoiler Alert!

Which units survived? Three Gorillitroopers and Isamu.

Turn by turn summary
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Ozuul dealt 3 wounds to Motley Max with his normal attack, and killed 4 Caucasus rifles with his special attack.

Motley Max rolled for chain grab twice, only succeeding once. He rolled for engagement strike once and failed. With his normal attack he dealt one wound to Ozuul and killed one Gorillitrooper.

Dienekes never rolled for Tether of Logos and failed to deal any wounds to any figures.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Ozuul Thoughts
Despite receiving 5 wounds during the first two turns of the game (a result of me miscounting the 12th caucasus threat range), Ozuul went on to still kill about ~180 pts worth of figures (4 Caucasus and three wounds on Max). The wounds on Max were crucial in weakening him enough for the Gorillitroopers to finish him off with minimal casualties. Overall I’m happy with this version of Ozuul. I think he’s somewhat difficult to use effectively, but that makes for a fun design with a high skill ceiling. If anything were to change, I think I’d like to try Ozuul out with 6 move instead of 5. In both games I’ve played with him, there have been several times that I’ve needed one more movement point to get within the optimal positioning to use Gravity Pull. However, he still definitely works fine with the five move; it's just a possible dial to tweak if he seems to be underperforming.

Dienekes Thoughts
Dienekes didn’t do much at all this game. J waited until the rest of his army was dead before putting any order markers on him. Since I led with Ozuul, Tether of Logos wouldn’t have been effective at defending the Caucasus anyway. I think Dienekes also requires more skill than many other figures to get value out of, and I don’t think J used him optimally this game.

Motley Max Thoughts
I think Max is in a relatively good place. I don’t necessarily think an adjustment to his engagement strike roll is necessary, although I also don’t think the change will be hugely impactful either way. I was expecting him to do more damage to the Gorillitroopers than he did, as in theory that’s kind of an ideal matchup for him (extremely high cost medium squad figures). However, Ozuul was able to get in a solid hit on him before dying, so that the Gorillitroopers were able to finish Max off before he was able to wreak too much havoc. He’s a very fun unit and J mentioned specifically that he really liked the design (I think the theme and sculpt helped here too).
Old July 30th, 2020, 12:33 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Spoiler Alert!

Army 1: (L) Dienekes, Zettian Infantry x2, Hoplitron, Deathwalker 9000
Army 2: (J) Cathar x2, Raymond, Major Q10, Isamu

Which units survived? Major Q10 with 1 life remaining, 8 Cathar, Count Raymond with full life, and Isamu.

Turn-by-turn summary
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Dienekes basically didn’t do anything this game, as he and the rest of my army were destroyed by Q10s initial and devastating assault.

Not much to comment on. This was my first game using Dienekes in my army and he didn’t get much of a chance to shine.
Old July 30th, 2020, 12:38 PM

Spoiler Alert!

Army 1: (L) Dienekes, Varkaanan Quickblades, Varkaanan Greyspears, Arktos
Army 2: (J) Herakles, Marro Stingers x2, Marro Warriors, Dumutef Guard, Isamu

Which units survived? Three Quickblades, two Greyspears, full life Arktos

Spoiler Alert!

Despite dying relatively early in the game, Dienekes had a bit more of an impact this time around. Several times J was forced to position Herakles suboptimally to avoid being caught by Tether of Logos. Ultimately, though, J was still able to play around Dienekes relatively easily, and the day was won thanks to the Varkaanan Grayspears (and poor attack rolls by Herakles) more than anything else.

Dienekes still seems difficult to use effectively, but I’m looking forward to playing with him more.
Old August 1st, 2020, 06:33 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

It makes sense that a lone defender hero can't do much vs range. Thanks for the games Capt!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 6th, 2020, 10:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Playtest: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...4&postcount=49

Thoughts from the game.

Quote:
Dienekes: I did a poor job with using him, and feel that maybe drafting him will be in poor taste since he doesn't really counter heroes. Maybe next time I do a draft I'll throw in the AotV squads, so that he can maybe be a better roakblock. In this game, his tankiness just got blown open by Syvarris, greatly hindering his later effectiveness as cleanup.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:27 AM
I could go

Dienekes of Scotland

Played a game (and part of one) last night with Dienekes...

Map: custom jungle heavy, fortress walls and roads.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...814&height=610

Armies:
Me

Dienekes
Hawthorne
Thorgim (Highlander Champion)
MacDirks *3
500 points

vs

LoveElemental

MDG

Isamu
Otonashi
Imperium x2
Romans x2
500 points

Glyphs: D20+1 and Initiative+8

Game 1 was called after LE's third turn. Dienekes had Tethered MDG adjacent to him, and although MDG's attack was unsuccessful, a Roman Legionnaire had height+MDG's Soldier Attack Bonus to one-shot Dienekes with Thorgrim's Defense Bonus ( vs ). This is important because it shows its important to think about where you're placing Dienekes. I wasn't able to Tether the offending Roman Legionnaire onto another space simply because the vicinity was quite hilly and there were no valid spots to place him. It also means that you have think about where you are moving bonding adjacency boosting units too.

The second game (with some slight SZ adjustments on both sides), was much more of a reasonable game.

I actively took more turns this time with Dienekes so that he would be a pain in the rear for LoveElemental, using his Combat Challenge to stall her forces on the very tight, obstacle heavy, map. By the time he went down, I was able to control the flow of her attacking Romans and Einar Imperium so that the MackDirks and Hawthorne could cut down the much more scattered Romans (in large part because Dienekes was able to Tether some of them out of Shield Wall formation, exposing their lackluster defense). As LE was bringing in her hard hitting (and dare I say, devilishly fast) Kyrie, I had retreated a 2-wound Thorgrim, and kept 4 of the MacDirks near him for a final siege against whatever LE had left. The game was called after MDG finally died after being attacked by several 4A MacDirks + Hawthorne and was left with a lone EI. Any movements she could reasonably make would have been met by a MacDirk and/or Hawthorne getting the first attack.

Notably, I had control of Lodin and she didn't realize that the Einar Imperium had Double Attack at first. Even if she had, I think the game would have been about the same result. Having that 3rd squad of MacDirks was crucial to their attrition, and I feel that Dienekes preventing them being attacked in the early game played a large part to that.

Survivors: 2 Life Thorgrim, Full Life Hawthorne, 5 MacDirks vs 3 Romans, 1 Imperium, and both Ninjas.

Thoughts on Dienekes:
Although after my last playtests I was somewhat soured on his relatively low life and defense for a Defender type unit, and would have suggested a life *or* defense bump or simply a price drop, the second game here really shows that Dienekes needs to be played well to get his value. And, unlike Defenders not named Tandros, you actually want to put OMs on him to get him into increasingly more uncomfortable positions against your opponent. I had deliberately left a double engagement with him in order to get him onto juicy even level spacing, and directly in the middle of the battlefield.

I would highly encourage further testing be done on relatively flatter maps, especially against slow to midspeed melee. While I don't see him as overtaking any other unit roles (despite some similarities to Tandros), I also don't know how great of a niche he will be carving against things other than slow to midspeed melee (and fast units like Vipers don't care about Tether). However, I didn't test this Tether against units who get moves outside of their own normal one. I could see it being mildly useful against units like Kumiko or Quorik Warwitch.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old October 18th, 2020, 12:34 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

How does everyone feel about Tether working on both friendly and enemy units? It's always sat a little weird with me, and I think I figured out it's because it muddles his theme as a defender. We're also doing several movement powers (though none other that move friendlies in a positive way like this), and this always struck me as a place we could cut back complexity a little (ironically by adding a word). Just curious what others feel about why it is (or isn't) a necessary part of the power/theme/unit.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 18th, 2020, 01:48 PM
I could go

I honestly never remember to tether my own units as Dienekes.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
How does everyone feel about Tether working on both friendly and enemy units? It's always sat a little weird with me, and I think I figured out it's because it muddles his theme as a defender. We're also doing several movement powers (though none other that move friendlies in a positive way like this), and this always struck me as a place we could cut back complexity a little (ironically by adding a word). Just curious what others feel about why it is (or isn't) a necessary part of the power/theme/unit.
It was a way to make him seem more exciting to some members of the Pod that didn't think the design was very useful. While it significantly increases the unit's utility, it certainly isn't needed for his intended role.
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:15 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

As it stands there is nothing sopping you form doing to your own figures and the power having "you may roll..." means it is optional. I think it might be useful for your own figures but situational, but I see no reason to change to only working on opponent's figures.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs