Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:09 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Has anyone actually played the game yet? I've seen it out in two stores now and am oddly tempted to pick it up. What's the game play like?

I've had it since Day One, that it was available, and have only play it twice and both time were in the first week. I'm not impressed, but it does offer a nice variation of classic 'Scape, and has plenty of potential to be worthwhile. I just read this summary on another AtoP thread, "Price?" and thought it pertinent to this discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Me and my brothers absolutely love this game. None of us are magic the gathering players and because of me, all regular heroscape players. We quickly discarded the cardboard back into the box.(It does work well for traveling though.) We generally play on heroscape terrain because, well you get it. For 30 dollars this is a great deal. Think of what you would have to pay per figure for other games. Its at least a dollar a piece. This is 30 unpainted figures, 5 painted figures, dice, wound markers, cards,(I actually like the magic cards, it adds a twist.), and some less than par terrain. But hey, I can't complain, its another Heroscape type game with a twist, and its fun.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:47 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Planeswalkers are worth most of the points, and have one time use spell cards. You have to try and overwhelm your enemy leader before you run out of magic. So its pretty fast, with summoned squads joining in to help out. Each color of magic has its own various strengths and weaknesses, and thus its own unique play style.

The game will have legs because they are timing expansions to come out twice a year or so, coinciding with the release of new Magic The Gathering card sets. The first expansion in January will include a tremendous creature, like an OGRE, to be fought by all the other players! Very nice, and it can be powered down to be just another player leader, with its own minion squad.

We've played Arena two player, four player free for all, and four player teams 2 vs 2. All are viable. We've enjoyed it on Heroscape terrain, and combined with Classic/Custom Scape units as well! Our verdict is that its not as good as Scape yet, but the expansions may improve it quite a bit. See the many new subforum threads on site, where its generated quite a lot of excitement.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 02:57 AM

Just announced: The DEAL OF THE DAY at Miniature Market Place in St. Louis, MO http://www.MiniatureMarket.COM is . . . "Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalker" for ONLY $18.oo, but I think everyone reading this thread probably already has their copy.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:46 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

@Johngee Hmm, that is a good price. Tempting, but I don't think I would get much value out of a second copy.

Ooh! The expansion is available for pre-order at MM! (And CSI for $2 more)

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 7th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

I just noticed that Amazon and Walmart dropped it down to $19 (not sure how long ago).

Here's a new promotional YouTube video from the Hasbro Gaming channel.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; November 7th, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old November 7th, 2015, 08:59 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
I just noticed that Amazon and Walmart dropped it down to $19 (not sure how long ago).
Of course... Right after I pay the full $30 for my bonus edition!
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Quote:
QFT

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:11 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Bonus edition?
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Bonus edition?
Walmart Edition with foil cards and more hex terrain.
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Bonus edition?
Walmart Edition with foil cards and more hex terrain.
Dang. They just dropped the price on the Bonus edition also. It's down to $20.51. I added it to my birthday (11/14) wish list. I need to keep proving to my wife that I'm just a big kid.
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:31 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You know, if I give my current copy away to a friend I could justify buying the bonus edition for myself...

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
You know, if I give my current copy away to a friend I could justify buying the bonus edition for myself...
GREAT IDEA Caps. DANG! I wish I knew that there even be a Bonus edition with "more terrain," etc. And if your friend does get interested in it, you'd have someone to play with and eventually lead him/her over to the Dark Side... muuuwaaahaahaahaa!

I missed out on the Onyx Vipers Bonus edition of HS at Walmart, because at the time they were on clearance for $20 for a complete master Set, I thought to myself, I probably already have enough terrain for what I want to do (- play LOTR Combat Hex on a 3D map -) and who's ever going to use "snakes" on a battlefield. I can (~~lol~~) and :"o ( a little now after I spent twice that just for the 3 figures and card.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion