Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old September 8th, 2021, 03:07 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Your Heroscape "Origin" Story

The first time I laid eyes on a heroscape figure was at a friends house at the age of about 9-10. 2006-ish. He had a bunch of figures and army men of all kinds and we would set them up on two sides of the room with additional structures and toss marbles and such at them until they all flew onto their sides.
I still remember our final standing figures and/or chosen representing generals. His was the James Bond looking Krav Maga, and mine was the Izumi Samurai with his sword sheathed. <-nostalgia face

A bit later on, we'd find ourselves actually staying up and playing the game, to our limited understanding of the rules. By then, he'd acquired Swarm of the Marro. Soon following, I received my own RotV. And then Waves 1&2 from my Grandpa, x3 sets of FotA on ebay for 60$ and some misc terrain/trees.
On a road trip through Edmonton, visiting the Mall, I'd awaited a chance to buy HS 'in store'. With MS3 under my arm, my brother and dad began to haze me over it being a "cheap chinese toy" resulting in me taking it back out of shame.

Ages past and it wasn't until being out of school and having steady work (2016) that I began collecting all that I missed out on and to share the extent of the game with my friends.
Old April 21st, 2022, 05:16 PM

Godchep knows what's in an order marker Godchep knows what's in an order marker

I first got a RotV set back in '04/'05 or so for Christmas from my parents after they had seen an ad for it on TV. I was hooked. They got me the remaining Master Sets as they were released and I had hours of fun playing with my father and brother. I continued playing through college with friends and at some point collected the elf wizards and some heavies and shades.

I took a break from 'scape for graduate school and came back to the game briefly around 2018. I introduced my wife to the game and picked up a few more figures and some additional terrain. However, after a particularly brutal matchup vs heavies and Grimnak my wife lost interest in the game for a while (oops). I shelved it for a few years and only picked it back up in late 2021 after I hooked up with a new game group and my wife forgave me (she is now an exceptional player).

Now I play a few times a month, either 1v1 with my wife, or in 3 or 4 player games. I'm excited about exploring some of the VC units and filling some of the gaps in units and terrain sets I had always wanted as a kid.
Old April 21st, 2022, 06:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Welcome.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 21st, 2022, 08:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I had seen the master set in my twenties and thought it was cool, but that was when I was a poor student and hadn't had much exposure to boardgames beyond risk and Monopoly. In late 2008 I had a good job that was up the street from a games store.

I had never seen a games store being a kid from the suburbs boarding in farmland. All these cool new games was overwhelming. I decided that it was time to get a game and picked up the two mastersets and a few expansions. I was hooked and purchased almost everything else available online or as an order though that same game store. Heroscape got me through some tough times with my ex and what turned out to be a soul crushing job. It also opened me up to a world of skirmish games and playing d&d. That's not to mention all the analysis and writing I did back in those early days which honed my skills to be an business analyst today. Learning GIMp for custom cards was also useful at work while painting minis is a great hobby that flexes creative muscles. Running tournaments was lots of fun and gave me more confidence in social circles and taking leadership. The interactions on this community are wonderful - would not change them for the world.

Now I'm starting to play my beloved game with my son's and there are few greater gifts. My collection is one of my most valuable possessions because of what it means to me and how it reflects who I've become.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old April 21st, 2022, 09:40 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godchep View Post
I first got a RotV set back in '04/'05 or so for Christmas from my parents after they had seen an ad for it on TV. I was hooked. They got me the remaining Master Sets as they were released and I had hours of fun playing with my father and brother. I continued playing through college with friends and at some point collected the elf wizards and some heavies and shades.

I took a break from 'scape for graduate school and came back to the game briefly around 2018. I introduced my wife to the game and picked up a few more figures and some additional terrain. However, after a particularly brutal matchup vs heavies and Grimnak my wife lost interest in the game for a while (oops). I shelved it for a few years and only picked it back up in late 2021 after I hooked up with a new game group and my wife forgave me (she is now an exceptional player).

Now I play a few times a month, either 1v1 with my wife, or in 3 or 4 player games. I'm excited about exploring some of the VC units and filling some of the gaps in units and terrain sets I had always wanted as a kid.
That's great! Welcome aboard, lurker!

I love this story.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 23rd, 2023, 08:59 AM
Not a n00b

Dunedain knows what's in an order marker Dunedain knows what's in an order marker Dunedain knows what's in an order marker

I went over to a friend’s house, and another mutual friend had set up heroscape on the coffee table, and we were doing I think a 10 person game on the ROTV master set. I was enthralled, and everytime I had a chance, I was playing it at that friend’s house, to the point that I think I drove him crazy 😛 my dad wasn’t much a fan of fantasy, so I had to content myself with the marvel heroscape for a few years, and then after years of finally wearing him down, my dad finally let me use my summer money to get a ROTV set from a local game store, which must’ve been right before it was discontinued and disappearing from stores. I managed to get a few small expansions here and there but my playing and collection really blew up when I discovered heroscapers around 2012, and found the Colorado group. I went to a handful of tournaments over the next 5 years until I moved to Georgia, and ended up selling my collection in 2019, with the anticipation of wanting to transition to something more in depth like Warhammer. Fast forward 4 years to half painted figures and realizing I don’t want anything that complicated, and I’m returning to heroscape with a new appreciation for the game, and just as importantly the community it offers.

P.S. i did also get some lego sets with the money from selling my collection, so it didn’t all go to waste haha
Old October 23rd, 2023, 11:36 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

In 2005, my son (12 at the time) was at a friend's house for a sleepover birthday party. His friend had received a ROTV set for his birthday and the group of them played it most of the night. My son came home the next day wanting a set. With Christmas just a few months away, it made for the perfect gift - and the grandparents helped out by getting him several of the booster sets (most of waves 2 and 3 along with RttFF). From there we added more each birthday and Christmas. In 2007, I went to my first GenCon and picked up Master Win Chiu Wo. The following year (2008 ), I offerred to help with the GenCon Heroscape events and ended up running the "Damnation Alley" events (where my "Ruler of the Damned" title comes from) and that year is also where I became the "keeper of terrain" - and from there it just kept growing.
Old October 24th, 2023, 01:42 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I thought this question had been asked before! From So, what got YOU involved?!:

When I was a boy, I was a classic chess geek, playing during recess. Later, war games appealed, but no opponents in Gibsonia, PA. Took up singing, went to San Francisco, then NYC (1974). Met a cool guy (black w/white girlfriend, while was/am white w/black girlfriend, now wife), played some D&D and WWII miniatures, but he moved away, and I moved on. Met some guys while doing a show on Roosevelt Island (where I live) who wanted to play Warhammer. Spent $100 played 1 interminable game (hours just to set up) and just left the game with them. Continued to sing, and took up Karate (2nd Degree Black Belt). Got a computer and got hooked on games there for awhile, but no real human interaction (even in online games where people were too strange, even for me). Surfing the net, I discovered Battlelore. Looked like a fun game. Bought it. Found an opponent through the company's Website. Played a few games; bought an expansion. Then my opponent, Charley, who owns ALL of everything Heroscape, said he was playing Heroscape at our regular time, so no Battlelore, but I could come or not that week. Initially, I was not impressed, but, as I would be free, and anticipating two weeks without game, I showed up. The armies were chosen before I arrived, and I had an interesting mix. Being a brilliant "experienced" gamer, we dove right into the advanced rules. An extremely tense, down to the wire battle ensued, with my Sonlen being the last man standing. That was a mere three weeks ago. Battlelore is dust! Long live Heroscape! I can just barely afford the time to play anything once a week, but my every spare moment is spent dreaming up my anti-Q9/Krav Maga/Rats, , army. I own no sets or expansions, but I did buy Chaosium's Elric so I could include Annerios' Custom Elric in my army. Must not buy more . . . . Must not buy more . . . . Must not buy more . . . .

Of course, I did not listen . . .

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online