Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Zincdust is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
So, what got YOU involved?!

Hey gang!
I am new to the game, as well as this board... and I'm sure this discussion has been talked about a thousand times by now, but I am interested in hearing the stories of how you all got involved with HeroScape@

Here's mine:

I was over in my old stomping ground of Boise, Idaho, doing contracted computer work for the Albertson's grocery store chain. I had seen the HeroScape game/sets in my new home of Tri-Cities, Washington and I always loved the idea of warriors from different worlds, dimensions and time periods fighting in one big war. But I also had the idea of my three year-old daughter scattering all the pieces everywhere.

Anyway, Fred Meyer was running a sale on board games, buy two, get one free. I talked my mom into buying me an early birthday present (the master set plus the Heroes of Barrenspur), plus I got the Minute Men & Wolves set for free. I was hooked.

The next day, I went to a nearby Fred Meyer and purchased the Drones/Minions set and the Gorillas/Hounds set, getting the Knights/Swog Rider set for free. I then went to the K-Mart in Boise and bought the Lawmen/Samurai set. Then I went to several other Fred Meyers and Shop-Ko stores, finding only Series 2 boosters, which I already had bought all of. I went to Toys 'R Us, nothing but 2 Minute Men/Wolves sets. The two Targets I went to had no boosters. I started going to the Wal-Mart stores... Empty shelves is all that greeted me, until I found one lone Snipers/Vipers set at the last one in the area. On the way back, I stopped at the Nampa K-Mart and picked up the other three sets that I needed out of Zanafor's Discovery (Heroes of Trollsford, Soulborgs/Elves and Greeks/Vipers). Like I said, every other store in the area had either LOTS of Utgar's Rage or nothing at all.

Now that I am home in the Tri-Cities, I have been able to buy the Warriors/Soulborgs and the Blastertrons/Deathstalkers sets at the local Target. Tomorrow, if it's still there, I will buy the Ninjas/Samurai set.

So, let's hear from you all!
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Well at one of my friend's graduation party, we played a game of HeroQuest. I had a good time and thought it was fun. That being said just turning 18, I wasn't that invovled in miniature wargames up until now. The closest things I played were D&D and Star Wars Epic Duals. Anyway I wanted to see if I could find this HeroQuest at a TRU, not knowing it was very old and obviously not for sale anymore, and found HeroScape instead. My parents agreed to get it for me for Christmas in '04, and ever since I was absolutely hooked, to the point of unhealthyness.

Now I have 7 Master Sets, and many multiples of every expansion released thus far (short of the castles, which I haven't been able to get my hands on yet). I'm still as thrilled now as I was when I opened up that first Master Set.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Jesus_S_Preston has disabled reputation
One of my friends bought the Master Set back when it first came out. I subsequently received one for Christmas. Me, my brother, and some others played games quite often for a while; then we stopped. When the expanison sets started to pop up around here, I bought a few packs, and we got into again...until we stopped. We eventually got back into it (and, thanks to this site, more intensely so), and here I am.

Getting back into 'Scape
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker
I got a $10 gift certicate from TRU's when you buy $100 of toys. I was christmas shopping (04) only the certificate expired in 2 weeks, so I went back and at the time I was remenbering playing Battlmasters years ago so I was hoping to find something similir or Battlmasters. I saw the display case of Heroscape and dicided to take it 12 MS later here I am. Big fan of the game love it

Giggity, giggity, giggity, giggity!

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire!

Lose the zero, get with the hero!

Dear diary: Jackpot!

Fat chicks need love too...they just have to PAY!
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM

brokeasajoke has disabled reputation
Not that long ago, some friends of mine introduced me to HeroQuest. I instantly fell in love with the game. This got me into miniatures games, which eventually led me into a game that just came out called Heroscape.

After being into Heroscape for a few months, I ended up leaving Heroscape for Star Wars Miniatures. I've recently become disenchanted with SWMs, & then I heard about MarvelScape.

So now I've been drawn back into Heroscape for:
1. for use with my Star Wars minis under the Heroscape game system
2. to play MarvelScape.

I really can't wait until Marvel comes out!
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:05 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
The way I got hooked, was I was going to my local Toys R Us that was shutting down to see if I could find any board games, Playstation 2 games, or Xbox games to buy for cheap. I stumbled upon Heroscape and grabbed it and read about it all over the box. By the time I was done reading the box, I was amazed at the concept, so I bought it...

Then as I was looking for other board games, I noticed Volcarren Wasteland and Orm's Return, and all of Jandar's Oath, so I bought those too. When I got home, I went to the heroscape site, and noticed how many more expansions I was behind on. So I spent the next few days trying to collect all the others. I vowed I wouldn't play the game until I completed the whole collection. Once I got everything, I opened it all and played. Right there I was hooked...

I then went out and bought doubles of everything. After that, I tried my damndest to collect the Elite Onyx Vipers, and Nerak to which I was successful on both. I waited patiently for Zanafor's Discovery to come so I could collect those. I did, and have since collected the tundra and the new large figures pack. Now I am trying to collect the newest expansions. I play 1-2 times a week, but when I first bought everything, no word of a lie, I played everyday.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM

TomTheUnimaginative has disabled reputation
The “trigger” for me was one of my nephews.

I first saw Heroscape at Toys R Us. The components were exceptional, but my interest is in how well a game plays and my past experience has been that usually when there’s that much effort put into how a game looks, there’s little or no effort put into how a game plays. $40 is a lot of money to risk on a game that probably isn’t worth playing. Heroscape commercials later seemed to confirm my suspicions. With 28 seconds of cartoon and 2 seconds actual display of the game, it appeared they were selling “sizzle” because there was no “steak”. So for months after I knew of Heroscape’s existence, I hadn’t bought it.

Later, however, one of my sisters gave me a “heads up” that her eldest son had a new game that he wanted to play with his uncle. From her description of the stacking plastic hexes, I recognized the game that she was referring to, even though at the time, neither of us could remember the name of that game. On the basis of that conversation, however, I decided to buy it. This way, I would be able to surprise my nephew with a working knowledge of the game and, if it was as terrible as I suspected, I could always give him my set so he’d have more pieces to play with. Unfortunately for him (short term, at least), it turned out that Heroscape is not only pretty to look at, but plays extraordinarily well. So I not only kept my set but have been expanding on it ever since.

Of course, long term, this has worked out well for him and two other nephews, as they now have an uncle who can be counted on for Heroscape expansions at Christmas and other gifting occasions.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Jabba O'Riley has disabled reputation
A buddy of mine bought Battle Masters back in the early 90's at Wal-Mart. We absolutely loved it! Except, it wasn't always easy to set-up due to it's size.

We thought, 'If only they'd make the same game, only much smaller, that would be perfect.'

Fast forward 10 years to Heroclix. We all loved Marvel and felt an intense "need" to collect the game. I thought it was cool, but after a couple of expansions, it was obvious that main characters were being repeated. Plus it was a pain searching through all of the commons to find the figures we really wanted. Plus, the game system lost it's sheen in no time flat.

On impulse, a couple years later (in Singapore), I bought a couple boosters of Mage Knight. I thought it looked like a cool game, but after getting online and calculating just how much it would cost to collect everything, I was dismayed.

I thought, 'someone should make an affordable miniatures game that doesn't involve random collecting, that would be perfect.'

About a year later.

Enter HeroScape.

Perfect!

Now I own absolutely everything (2 of all commons, 1 of each unique) except for TV and FotA (which I've ordered from HMG). Except...I've yet to find anyone to play with...hahaha. Guess I'm more of a collector than a player, but I just can't get over the brilliance of the concept here.

"I don't need to fight...to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven."
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM

0rbital has disabled reputation
Started about 2 months ago when my kid pointed it out. I had been buying some board games to get us away from the video games and face to face (Carcassone and Ticket to Ride mostly). When I read up on Heroscape I was ready to buy. Now 2 months later I'm up to 5 MS, 2 RTFF, 2 TT, 1 VW and all the waves except for 3.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Sparky has disabled reputation
I was reading the GenCon forums before the show (this year, btw, so I'm the newbiest of newbies), and someone said something like, 'Forget all the new stuff. All I need is HeroScape'.

At the show, my kids were busy building playing card towers in the hallway, and I ended up talking to some guy, who seemed to know a lot about just about everything gaming-related, so I asked him about Heroscape, thinking he'd poo-poo it, given everything *else* he was talking out. And he says, 'Love it! Maybe a little cheesy, but I love it!' I assume his cheese is in the cross-historical and/or fictional nature of all the units.

Anyway, the kids and I mosey over to the HS demos, and the rest is (very recent) history. Wish us luck and momentum. You know how kids are...

Mike
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM

0rbital has disabled reputation
To all the new people get ready to spend money!
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Jandars_Hope is surprisingly tart
Heroscape came out before christmas 05 over here in the UK (i think) and my dad and i were christmas shopping and i noticed it on one of the toy shelves and i was sucked in by the enormity of the box! 'BATTLE OF ALL TIME'. OOHHhhhh, sounds interesting! I flipped the flappy bit at the front of the box up to see the pics and my dad and i thought it would be great to buy and play over the christmas holidays! So we went home and pondered on whether to buy it or not, or to buy something else instead, and i decided at the last minute that we should get it! so my dad bought it for me for a xmas present and i've loved it ever since!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion