Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM

Vcxz748 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
How to draft your Army when playing Basic Heroscape?

Do you use lives during the game?

Do you draft your army using points still?
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How to draft your Army when playing Basic Heroscape?

When you play with the basic rules, I believe each player is just supposed to take an equal amount of army cards, ignoring the point values/stats on the advanced side.

So no lives or points, just take turns picking a unit, or players can bring a predetermined number of units.

Is this what you're asking?
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM

Vcxz748 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Yes it is thank you!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Better yet, don't play the Basic game unless your players are 5 years old or less.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM

cavebehr has disabled reputation

Hey now be nice, it is very simple, yes you do not use life points, nor point values, nor special powers or special attacks/ defense, nor even turn/order markers. It is very, very, very easy, you do still use hight advantage, as well as upward movement and everything on the back of the card. There is a set of rules it is like a page or two long for the basic game.

Yeah it is for the easy easy easy easy play, but you know what? It makes you learn the simple stuff and if you do not like the game or characters with the simple stuff you will never like the advanced stuff.

Everyone always puts down the basic game, but it was invented for one simple reason, to seperate the the casual game player from the dedicated gamer. The casual game player is the same one who likes jaks or dice or card games as well something you can learn in under 3 minutes and play in under 20 minutes or there abouts. The die hard dedicated gamer / fanboy is someone who only wants to learn to play the longest hardest way to play with all the extra powers and believes that if you do not use all of those extras that you either do not know how to have fun or are missing something in the game. Some of those persons are the same ones who will only field an all A+ charater type set at tournaments because winning is all that matters. As well the basic game you do not worry about who goes with whos power you can pick characters based on who looks cool.

So If you wanna play a simple fast easy game without having to learn alot and modify it, or discuss it and modify it, or have to agree to modify it, etc. The basic game is a great fast easy way to play, it is what it was invented for .

If you want to play a bit longer the full all rules aplied for all charaters it could take a bit longer. The only thing limiting the game either time limit or round limits. Not that a longer game is a bad thing, just its not for everyone who wants to play a game.

When this game was marketed at big box stores as a family game it was sold for everyone to play fast and easy, therefor the basic game. When you force everyone to only liking or playing it with the master/advanced game, then it is marketed for the smaller specialty stores like d and d was/ is , d and d is not marketed like yahtzee or go fish so they do not make a basic game idea for it . Heroscape was marketed like yahtzee and go fish, so that is where the idea of the basic game comes in. I have friends who like the basic and only the basic game. I have friends who like the advanced and only the advanced game. It works for a well balance of people .

Last edited by cavebehr; June 23rd, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebehr View Post

Everyone always puts down the basic game, but it was invented for one simple reason, to seperate the the casual game player from the dedicated gamer.
Heh, I don't even know if I'd say the basic vs. Master was casual vs. Dedicated. Even the Master version of the game is very casual friendly compared to a lot of wargames, and just happens to have enough to it to attract dedicated gamers.

I'd say Master is for gamers and basic is for non-gamers. Like, completely non-gamer, the kind of people who don't play Chess, Risk, Stratego, or anything other than a family board game every once in a blue moon.

Not to completely make light of the basic game, as it has its clear purpose for younger gamers as well, but I imagine there is probably a reason why Tom Vassal's review of Heroscape opens with his little daughters ripping the basic game instructions in half.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM

Although I am sure it helped sell games, people love to use children in any analogy. I had a drill instructor in the military who had a child who had down syndronm that they would throw around at the company anytime they made us run for an hour and we started dropping, he would say things like my 6 year old can do this and she is special, do you think you are special? Personally I found it very offensive, I still usually do when people use children to for these things, but thats only because of my personal experiences. I am sure that is not what he was doing, but just saying whenever I read anything and I come to a part that involves someone comparing me and my understanding and ability to do and or use something, as to thier child or a child, I stop listening at that moment. I thank my company commander for that .
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:04 PM

TMRose is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I used the basic game to teach my 8 year son to play the game. But he has now learned to play the master game. And he can beat Dad now too.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebehr View Post
Although I am sure it helped sell games, people love to use children in any analogy. I had a drill instructor in the military who had a child who had down syndronm that they would throw around at the company anytime they made us run for an hour and we started dropping, he would say things like my 6 year old can do this and she is special, do you think you are special? Personally I found it very offensive, I still usually do when people use children to for these things, but thats only because of my personal experiences. I am sure that is not what he was doing, but just saying whenever I read anything and I come to a part that involves someone comparing me and my understanding and ability to do and or use something, as to thier child or a child, I stop listening at that moment. I thank my company commander for that .
It had nothing to do with his children's understanding of it. Granted, they play so many games with him at such a young age that they get used to games quicker, but they are there because they like games and they are in most of his reviews and stuff.

It shows him opening the box and saying "there's a basic game and a masters game. Let me show you what you do with the basic game first" and then it cuts to them ripping it up. It has nothing to do with understanding or complexity; he believes the master game is the only version with enough mechanics to be fun and have depth. That was his funny way of conveying that in the video.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:16 AM

Thats cool then, point one; depth= master game= risk, stratego, chess, = takes more than 3 minutes to explain and more than 20 minutes to play.

point two; easy fast family fun= basic = go fish , yahtzee(sometimes), rummy(sometimes), Jaks= takes around 3 minutes to explain and around 20 minutes to play.

Surprisingly, when I play games with my elderly friends as well, we sometimes prefer only games that are for kids 7 and under. Sometimes all you want is fast easy things to do, that anyone from ages 4, 44, 64, and 84 can play all at the same time without having to remember much.
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:51 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've posted this before, but way back in 2005 when I first bought the game I bought it to play with my sons, who were 5 and 7 at the time. We set up a map, picked a few figures each, and played a turn or two. Within ten minutes they both were asking about the stuff on "the other side of the card." That was the last time I ever played the basic game.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
I've posted this before, but way back in 2005 when I first bought the game I bought it to play with my sons, who were 5 and 7 at the time. We set up a map, picked a few figures each, and played a turn or two. Within ten minutes they both were asking about the stuff on "the other side of the card." That was the last time I ever played the basic game.
This, Josh was 5 when we got the game. We played the Master Game exactly once.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion