Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 8th, 2015, 09:10 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Those of you that have played Mice and Mystics with your kids...what is the youngest age you would recommend? Also how often would your child want to play? It's a big investment for a game for us and we are still looking for our family CO-OP game.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Those of you that have played Mice and Mystics with your kids...what is the youngest age you would recommend? Also how often would your child want to play? It's a big investment for a game for us and we are still looking for our family CO-OP game.
I got Mice & Mystics when my youngest was 6. Personally, I wouldn't start much younger than that, but I'm sure others would. It was easy enough for a 6 & 8 year old to understand moving and attacking, but keeping track of equipment and abilities will have to be managed by adults.

It's a fun game, but be realistic about what you are getting and how often it will hit the table. Will your family enjoy the idea of adventuring through a castle, finding new items and encountering new characters and enemies or are you more of a sit down, open a box, and play for 30 min type of family before the younger ones lose interest and want to move along to other things?

I believe the game can work well with younger ones if they get into the theme and enjoy the explore and fighting opportunities. There are other good starting points for family co-ops too. Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both solid family co-ops for $20 or less. I've never played Castle Panic, but friends of ours really enjoy it.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
I got Mice & Mystics when my youngest was 6. Personally, I wouldn't start much younger than that, but I'm sure others would. It was easy enough for a 6 & 8 year old to understand moving and attacking, but keeping track of equipment and abilities will have to be managed by adults.

It's a fun game, but be realistic about what you are getting and how often it will hit the table. Will your family enjoy the idea of adventuring through a castle, finding new items and encountering new characters and enemies or are you more of a sit down, open a box, and play for 30 min type of family before the younger ones lose interest and want to move along to other things?

I believe the game can work well with younger ones if they get into the theme and enjoy the explore and fighting opportunities. There are other good starting points for family co-ops too. Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both solid family co-ops for $20 or less. I've never played Castle Panic, but friends of ours really enjoy it.
Great answer Rudy. My girls played when they were 9 (they're twins), and it wasn't difficult for them at all. But one of them is not into games that much but will humor me on occasion with Love Letter, Splendor, Coloretto, Hey That's My Fish, or some other lighter/quicker games. The other one will still play M&M on occasion (we just played a couple weeks ago), but she's not always dying to play it.

So it depends on the kids and their interests, but as Rudy said, it also really depends on their attention span, because M&M a couple hour commitment per chapter, give or take. However, if you have the extra table space and can leave it setup for a couple days, it can be stopped mid-game and started again the next day if you want to keep sessions shorter.

Rudy had some nice suggestions for some family co-ops, but I'll add Flash Point: Fire Rescue as a nice family co-op as well.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:

Great answer Rudy. My girls played when they were 9 (they're twins), and it wasn't difficult for them at all. But one of them is not into games that much but will humor me on occasion with Love Letter, Splendor, Coloretto, Hey That's My Fish, or some other lighter/quicker games. The other one will still play M&M on occasion (we just played a couple weeks ago), but she's not always dying to play it.

So it depends on the kids and their interests, but as Rudy said, it also really depends on their attention span, because M&M a couple hour commitment per chapter, give or take. However, if you have the extra table space and can leave it setup for a couple days, it can be stopped mid-game and started again the next day if you want to keep sessions shorter.

Rudy had some nice suggestions for some family co-ops, but I'll add Flash Point: Fire Rescue as a nice family co-op as well.
Thanks guys...He liked the preview videos and we do have a table in the playroom where we keep heroscape maps built so shorter sessions would always be possible. Flash Point has been brought up several times so that may be one we stat looking into more.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

To me, there's wasn't much difference between Mice & Mystics and short Heroscape scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Hmmm, while we're on the topic of Mice & Mystics ... (btw: I do not own it and currently have no intentions of acquiring it any time soon, but I'm just curious after heading the above comments) ... How adaptable is M&M to a HeroScape format: i.e. using HS terrain in particular the FotA to create a 3D castle exploration experience, and creating custom stat cards for each of the characters in the story line???

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

There'd be quite a bit of work adapting them. They're quite different systems; they just have a similar feel to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I believe Grungebob mentioned somewhere that he was going to post Heroscape stats for them, but I don't know if or where.
Old May 10th, 2015, 06:26 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
I've played quite a few games of Dejarik over the last week with several different people. Dejarik is the game that Chewbacca and R2 play on the Millennium Falcon. It's quite interesting. The games are usually quick (20min probably), and each game isn't the same (as you get different units each game). Rules can be found here: http://dhost.info/rissa/Holochess/
Do you have figures for that?
I know some if not all the figures exist from the Star Wars minis line. There were a crap ton at GenCon one year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
All of them do exist in the SW minis line. I just printed off little circles with the name, move, attack, and defense numbers on them.
Just order a set of them. I will give the game a try when I get the figures & after I make something for the board.
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Got in some Saturday gaming. Two games of Dead of Winter. In the first, a lot of tooth rolls by the guy who hadn't played before tanked the colony. In the second, I was the traitor, and we exiled another player on turn one (a third player suggested we do so, so I figured, why not?). But we still just had too many mouths to feed and the colony ran out of morale before I got everything I needed to win as a traitor.

Then four games of Coup, which is quick and fun, followed by a game of Sheriff of Nottingham, which I liked. Lots of "lying" games and lots of beer!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Got in some Saturday gaming. Two games of Dead of Winter. In the first, a lot of tooth rolls by the guy who hadn't played before tanked the colony. In the second, I was the traitor, and we exiled another player on turn one (a third player suggested we do so, so I figured, why not?). But we still just had too many mouths to feed and the colony ran out of morale before I got everything I needed to win as a traitor.

Then four games of Coup, which is quick and fun, followed by a game of Sheriff of Nottingham, which I liked. Lots of "lying" games and lots of beer!
Liar liar pants on fire.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:16 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm a little late in posting my April plays, but this is what I got to play last month:

Sheriff of Nottingham x5 - family loves this one and it gets the most requests for plays right now. I really like how playing it honest or going for big contraband scores are both viable ways of winning. Honest is the safer route, but you can blow people out with lots of contraband.
X-Wing x5 - local tournaments every month have been a lot of fun and given me a chance to try out lots of ships and builds.
Carcassonne
DC Deck-Building Game x2
Dixit
King of Tokyo
Sushi Go!
Love Letter Batman Edition
x3 - I was wrong about not really needing another Love Letter. This IS the Love Letter I needed.
Love Letter - introduced the Tempest version to the kids after Batman. They like Batman better.
Specter Ops x3 - really like this game. I like playing as the agent and as the hunter. It feels balanced on both sides to me but player skill can make it feel very lopsided, which I don't believe is a bad thing.
Smash Up - need to play this more but the kids aren't quite ready. Pretty Pretty Smash Up is on its way to me. I've heard good things.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games