Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 17th, 2016, 11:28 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Sir Heroscape's terrain

Yup, that's some cool ( or should I say "HOT") lo^oking Lava. Nicely enhanced to give it that added touch of uniqueness. Thanks for sharing.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Here's version 2.0 of my Volcarren Wasteland. Let me know what you think in comparison to my first set of custom Volcarren terrain. Which is better and why?

Volcarren Wasteland (Version 2.0)
Spoiler Alert!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:26 AM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I like your lava, although I have a conflict with this set, specially when customized. From my point of view the lava can evolve in two directions when doing a custom/home set: more molten, more rocky.

You went the first way, which is visually attracting. However, every time I see one of these (mine included) I think "Roll 1d20 on 10+ you die!". If Heroscape was still on sale I'd pay a whole set in different states of "molten".

Nice paintwork!
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:17 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I like these lava tiles the best and somewhere between V1 and V2 for the Field tiles. V2 seems a bit too "molteny" but it could be the lighting.

Either way it's way better than anything I could do.

If you do a third set somewhere between V1 and V2 it would be a nice effect similar to what MementoMori was talking about. Use the more Molteny tiles near the lava and let it "cool" the more distance you have from the lava.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I really appreciate the feed back @japes and @MementoMori . I agree that V2 has a littl too much of a molten feel. The lava field isn't all that different from the molten...and so I do need to find that middle ground where the lava is cooling more in the field and is open and hot on the molten tiles.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:18 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Sir Heroscape , I loved both sets you had brought to the tournament. I made some custom lava a while back and loved the way it looked. Your molten stuff looked the same. Great stuff. I like it when other scapers build custom stuff.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 12th, 2016, 07:11 AM

NEW Terrain: Wooden Palisade!

Wooden Palisade
Alright folks...it's been a long time coming, but here is my latest custom terrain! Tell me what you think! I love to hear feedback, and praise is always nice. Is it as cool as I think it is?

*Here's how it works...*
This shows how the terrain works. When figures cross through the palisade (indicated by red) - either by going up elevation onto the platform, or simply passing through it - they must roll 1 die. If they roll a skull, the figure takes one wound

Front View

Back View

Side View

And here are some fun ways to use them!!
Defend the Beach!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old August 12th, 2016, 10:31 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Cool idea about making them a part of the map that has an effect. I have made similar spikes, I use barbecue skewer sticks for the smaller ones, and random sized dowel rods for the other. An attack die roll is pretty steep, considering they are in place. Take the cathar spearmen for instance. The Braced spear they have is a 16 or higher and it is basically the same idea, except for they are holding it, not the terrain. Rolling an attack die is the equivalent to rolling an 11 or higher. 50% chance of dying. I think characters would not even go next to them. My figures wouldn't anyway. Thanks for sharing, they look pretty good. Try putting some on some roman walls or orcish buildings. I have done that and it looks pretty good.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:37 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Sir Heroscape's custom terrain

The palisades are actually pole abatis.

I like them a lot. I think I'll be using my spare two hexes for this. But I also agree that a 50% chance of injuring is too much. Somewhere between 16% (blank on the attack die) or a 16 or higher on a D20.
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:33 AM

@TREX & @Colorcrayons sorry for not getting back to you...spaced out for some reason...but thank you for your feedback. I think you're right about that though, 50% chance may be just a little too much...people just wouldn't risk it...whereas a 1 in 6 (attack die) chance or 1 in 5 (17-20 on D20) chance would be enough for people to still make their way through them and take the necessary risk.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:16 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
@TREX & @Colorcrayons sorry for not getting back to you...spaced out for some reason...but thank you for your feedback. I think you're right about that though, 50% chance may be just a little too much...people just wouldn't risk it...whereas a 1 in 6 (attack die) chance or 1 in 5 (17-20 on D20) chance would be enough for people to still make their way through them and take the necessary risk.

As I recall, the purpose of abates or archer's stakes was to obstruct movement, particularly cavalry, so you could focus on that, with mechanics something like this:

That two-hex piece creates three 'covered' hexes, where the stakes are pointing into.

1. Figures entering a hex 'covered' by stakes, or crossing a hex side protected by stakes, may end their move in the hex they move into; if they choose to move through the hex, an attack die is rolled. If a skull comes up, the figure takes a wound.

2. Multi-hex figures must roll an attack die when entering a hex 'covered' by stakes, or crossing a hex side protected by stakes, in addition to the effects in item 1 above; if a skull is rolled, the figure takes a wound.

3. Neither of these effects apply to figures using a movement ability to pass over a 'covered' hex or cross a hex side protected by stakes; if a figure ends its movement in such a hex, the effects apply normally.

This makes man-size figures work slowly through a spike barrier, but if they don't take the time to move carefully through the spikes, they risk injuring themselves. Large figures will be unable to move safely through the barrier, even slowly, because the spikes are too close together, and can be more seriously injured if they just try to charge through. And figures that can fly or leap over the barrier won't take any damage unless they actually land in the barrier.
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM

@srmalloy Thank you! That was a very concise way of putting it. I really like that mechanic. I think it holds true to the purpose of this terrain piece...and to be honest I didn't even know it's real name I like how figures end movement when coming adjacent or risk getting wounded, that makes the decision for charging through them still a risk...but if you don't you also risk letting your opponent get away. What do you think about a D20 roll of 16+ though instead of a skull rolled? That point was brought up earlier in the thread and I think it's a fair one...b/c then there's still a possibility of damage but it's not so tilted that you'd never take the risk.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles