Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old July 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker
Jack's Super Customs! 7/19 Carnage and Isaiah Bradley!

Welcome to my Super Customs thread! I've got plenty laying around, but I thought it'd be better to upload them one at a time as opposed to just presenting a huge pool that nobody is going to completely go through, especially considering my goal here is to get enough feedback to create a well balanced and well themed custom. All thoughts and criticism is accepted!

NOTE: I do not have the figure or hit-zone added to my cards yet, I've been waiting to finalize the cards then I will do the picture taking

CARNAGE
Spoiler Alert!

ISAIAH BRADLEY
Spoiler Alert!

RULK (Red Hulk)
Spoiler Alert!
-Original Rulk Post:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Jack o' Blades; July 25th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Jack's Super Customs! 7/17 Red Hulk

I like him. But, let me critique a bit.

1) He seems WAY too pricy. He's strong, but not too much stronger than Hulk himself is. He'll start off tougher but start to dwindle, so I don't think any more than 400 Points is necessary. I think in a one-on-one match between him and the "real" Hulk, it would stay pretty close.

2) Heat of Battle is still as "-1 for 2 wounds," which, if your analysis is correct, should be at -2 for 2 wounds. Personally, though, I prefer the -1 attack for every 2 wounds. It toughens him up a lot, and even at his weakest will only have 6 attack (well, he'll be dead, but, still). Considering that's Captain America's basic attack, and Cap is a normal human at peak condition, that seems like a good stopping point.

3) A nitpick, really, but should his name be "Rulk" or "Red Hulk?"

So, here's my thoughts on how to "fix him up" a bit.
  • Bring his Life up to 9, and keep Heat of Battle as I said above. That means that he'll go down to 6 Attack with 1 Life left, which is still formidable.
  • Bring his Defense up to 7. More to make him "stronger" than the Hulk.
Or, alternatively...
  • Keep Heat of Battle as-is (2 wounds = -2 Attack), but up his base attack - have him start with 12. That means that, when he's down to the wire, he'll be at 4, which is a nice low level and keep him a threat.
With that, I'd say 420-450 would be a good ballpark pricing. I could be wrong, though; just a shot in the dark.

Great custom overall, though - he feels like Hulk without BEING Hulk, and that's something I find hard to do with "clone" characters.
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM

Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker Jack o' Blades knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
1) He seems WAY too pricy. He's strong, but not too much stronger than Hulk himself is. He'll start off tougher but start to dwindle, so I don't think any more than 400 Points is necessary. I think in a one-on-one match between him and the "real" Hulk, it would stay pretty close.
I think what happened is that I just got fried pricing him after every game so I just said "500! " to be done with it lol. But you are correct, things between him and Hulk get rather close, but I'm not sure on how close I want that to be...

Quote:
2) Heat of Battle is still as "-1 for 2 wounds," which, if your analysis is correct, should be at -2 for 2 wounds. Personally, though, I prefer the -1 attack for every 2 wounds. It toughens him up a lot, and even at his weakest will only have 6 attack (well, he'll be dead, but, still). Considering that's Captain America's basic attack, and Cap is a normal human at peak condition, that seems like a good stopping point.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking up to 9 Life then?

Quote:
3) A nitpick, really, but should his name be "Rulk" or "Red Hulk?"
To be honest, I'm not sure

I've seen both Red Hulk and Rulk be used. I think for now I like Rulk, simply because it makes him seem less "clone"-like, as you mentioned.

Quote:
So, here's my thoughts on how to "fix him up" a bit.
  • Bring his Life up to 9, and keep Heat of Battle as I said above. That means that he'll go down to 6 Attack with 1 Life left, which is still formidable.
  • Bring his Defense up to 7. More to make him "stronger" than the Hulk.
Or, alternatively...
  • Keep Heat of Battle as-is (2 wounds = -2 Attack), but up his base attack - have him start with 12. That means that, when he's down to the wire, he'll be at 4, which is a nice low level and keep him a threat.
With that, I'd say 420-450 would be a good ballpark pricing. I could be wrong, though; just a shot in the dark.
I think the 9 life sounds solid. I'm liking the 7 defense idea too.

Can you explain more on the 3rd point though? If we up his attack how does he get down to 4? He would be dead when he hits 4 attack wouldn't he?

Thanks for the response! I really dig where this is going already

-Jack
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o' Blades View Post
Can you explain more on the 3rd point though? If we up his attack how does he get down to 4? He would be dead when he hits 4 attack wouldn't he?
Well, like this.

9 Life = 12 Attack
8 Life = 12 Attack
7 Life = 10 Attack
6 Life = 10 Attack
5 Life = 8 Attack
4 Life = 8 Attack
3 Life = 6 Attack
2 Life = 6 Attack
1 Life = 4 Attack

Which would be interesting, but I'm not sure which route you'd want to go with it. Either way would work, I think; more attack and more loss, or less attack and more consistent attack.
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:22 AM

Hmmm. It's a tough choice.

I like the idea of having 12 because it just makes him that much more brutal, but at the same time I almost feel like that's too much.

But then again, 12 works perfectly in the 2 wounds -2 attack system.

I don't know! haha. I'm truly torn on what to do.

Say we did up his attack to 12, what would you think for points then with 12 attack and 9 life? Going by the 2 for -2 Heat of Battle
Old July 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

I think it'd probably stay in the same range - no more than 450. Of course, playtesting is the only way you'd know for sure, but he certainly seems beatable with that spread.
Old July 18th, 2010, 01:13 AM

I'll definitely try it. Thanks for the help so far!

-Jack
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Now this guy really is tough. I would say change Heat of Battle to every wound instead of every 2 wounds, make either his attakc 9/8 or his defence 5, and drop him to 400-450 points.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Very attractive card, even without the mini photo and hitzone. The fonts and sizes all look very close to the real cards.

I also like the way he gets weaker as he gets injured; I don't see that too often in Heroscape, so points for originality. I do agree with johnny139 that because of this, he's overcosted at 500. I think 400 would be closer to the mark.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:08 PM

An idea just hit me that I think is more balanced and more thematic. More so a combination of everything that's been said so far.

I'm thinking 12 dice with 1 wound = -1 attack, also at 9 life.

So it'd go like this:

9 12
8 11
7 10
6 9
5 8
4 7
3 6
2 5
1 4

Another reason I like this way is because it makes him a threat all through out his life span without seeming too overpowered.

What do you guys think? Does this look more balanced?

-Jack
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack o' Blades View Post
An idea just hit me that I think is more balanced and more thematic. More so a combination of everything that's been said so far.

I'm thinking 12 dice with 1 wound = -1 attack, also at 9 life.

So it'd go like this:

9 12
8 11
7 10
6 9
5 8
4 7
3 6
2 5
1 4

Another reason I like this way is because it makes him a threat all through out his life span without seeming too overpowered.

What do you guys think? Does this look more balanced?

-Jack
Not really. First of all, is Red Hulk that much stronger than the INredible Hulk (at 8 life and 7+up to 5 attack)? Also, 12 attack in my mind is way too much if you have such a high life of 9.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
Not really. First of all, is Red Hulk that much stronger than the INredible Hulk (at 8 life and 7+up to 5 attack)? Also, 12 attack in my mind is way too much if you have such a high life of 9.
Yeah, he is that much stronger actually

It took both Thor and Hulk to finally bring him down, and before that fight Hulk got his butt handed to him multiple times by Red Hulk.

But I do agree that 12 is rather high..I'm just not sure on how to keep it thematic and balanced.

-Jack

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations